Smile, for me

The Howling - Part IV: Inevitable

 

As he lay there, Joonmyun could feel Jongin watching him, could feel the strength and protectiveness radiating from him even from across the room. When he moved across the room, the elder's eyes fluttered shut, only reopening when he felt something being placed on his chest -- the remote, he quickly realized. He picked it up and pushed himself up on his elbows as he glanced back at the boy, trying not to laugh at what he'd said.
 
"Aww... my big, bad wolf is afraid of zombies?" Joonmyun's tone was nothing short of teasing as he reached up to poke at the younger male's shoulder, a playful smile tugging up the corner of his lips before he sat up and began scrolling through the movies. "I'm not a fan of horror movies anyway, so no worries." He would just pick something simple, possibly a Disney movie, because he was likely to fall asleep anyway. 
 
Despite having that in mind, choosing one seemed to be impossible; Jongin had a library of movies that would rival even the most stocked of video stores, and it was almost intimidating how many movies he had. Finally, he gave up and selected one of his favorites -- /Finding Nemo/ -- before tossing the remote at the end of the bed and pulling himself up to sit closer to Jongin. 
 
Before he could say anything about his choice, Joonmyun shot him a look. "Don't laugh, okay? It's a good movie and I really like it." And I could probably recite it line for line if I wanted to, but I won't because that would be stupid and I'd look silly. Without another word, Joonmyun settled in next to Jongin, absently reaching for the younger male's hand and linking their fingers as the opening credits began.

 

Jongin bristled a little at the teasing, but not before sticking his tongue out like any mature eighteen year old boy does. "I'm not... afraid, per se... They're just creepy. The way you can only kill them by destroying the brains or severing the spinal cord. I dunno, maybe it's just me... but your big bad wolf isn't so big and bad when he can't use a gun on all fours..."
 
He huffed playfully and shuffled into the pillows more, an eyebrow quirking at the choice of movie. He didn't say anything though, not even when Joonmyun tried to explain his choice of mvie. Instead he shrugged and smiled when the elder found his hand and linked their fingers together. 
 
"You have nice hands," he murmured after a moment, eyes drawing from the cartoon ocean on screen to trace his gaze over Joonmyun's hand before he squeezed it gently and leaned into the elder male. "really nice. Like your smile...and your eyes.."

 

It was easy to say that Joonmyun's attention wasn't on the movie, but it was difficult to stay focused on much for too long with Jongin so close. He didn't care though; the movie, after all, here merely been an excuse to settle down and just enjoy each other's company. /'Nemo'/ wasn't necessary, but it was nice to have something there in the silence between them. 
 
He looked down at their hands, giving Jongin's fingers a light squeeze in return. "You have a pretty smile, too, Jongin; you just need to smile more." Joonmyun looked up -- noticing then how far he'd sunk down -- and gave the boy a soft expression. "Promise to smile more for me, okay? You look so much better when you smile." 
 
After a moment, Joonmyun closed his eyes and rested his head against Jongin's shoulder. It was easy to lose himself in the warmth and comfort, and it didn't take long until he'd drifted off, sinking into a pleasant darkness that promised peace and pleasant dreams. 

 

Jongin blushed a little at the elder's words, breath catching in his throat and a smile inadvertently sneaking its way onto his features. "For you," he murmured softly in response, shifting a little so he was facing Joonmyun more, the pad of his thumb gently brushing up and down the elder's knuckles. "I'll smile for you..."
 
He went silent after that, noting the way Joonmyun leaned into him and then started to doze. The feeling of the elder's warmth so close, of his breath on Jongin's shoulder, had the younger male smiling even more, and he carefully unlinked their fingers so he could sit his arm over the elder's waist.
 
Jongin's eyes closed, and he was content for a few minutes to just listen to the sound of Joonmyun breathing, to listen to his heartbeat, until finally, the warmth and comfort pulled him under and he curled into Joonmyun more, fingers curled into his shirt, as he began to doze as well.
 

 

A/N [EDIT]

Dear wonderfully amazing readers, 

This chapter marks the end for part four. Please keep an eye out for part five. I would like to state right now that things are going to be picking up soon and there are going to be several time jumps, so please bear with us as we continue. 

- author-nims

Okay... forget that... because we have a different idea that we think you guys will like better. So.... please anticipate!