Interruptions

The Howling - Part IV: Inevitable

 

Nothing in life is free, Jongin," Joonmyun replied simply as he handed the other board to the boy and grabbed the now empty one and began mincing two cloves of garlic. "You have to work hard for what you want. Sometimes things get in our way and we have to overcome them if we're to get anywhere." He glanced up at Jongin, offering a small smile before moving over to scrape the garlic into the pot. 
 
After adding a few spices and some extra chicken broth, Joonmyun made quick work of the mess and then pulled himself up onto the counter next to the younger male. Gently, he reached over and took his hand, pulling it over and resting it against his thigh as he traced the lines of his palm. "You've overcome a lot, Jongin; do you have what you want?" 
 
It was a simple question to ask, but probably one of the most difficult to answer truly, because when one gets what they want then they end up wanting more and more and it never ends. Joonmyun knew this, but he wanted to know what Jongin would say, wanted to know if he was giving the younger male what he wanted; he knew the answer, though, but that didn't get rid of the fact that he still wanted to hear it. 

 

The younger obediently tipped each board of vegetables into the pot as he was told, legs kicking lightly as he placed the empty boards back down onto the bench as Joonmyun started chopping up another lot of vegetables. "I don't like onions. They hurt my nose..." he whined softly as he wrinkled his nose again at the onions, before the elder was moving to sit beside him.
 
He was silent as the elder took his hand, feeling the heat of his thigh against his knuckles as his breath hitched, before a weak smile met his lips. "I suppose... We don't always get what we want though, do we?" he replied after glancing up at the elder male with a curious look.
 
"I ... think I got wht I want. But I'm not sure...Let me get back to you on that," he grinned sheepishly, almost playfully, before he leaned in and nuzzled into the elder's hair. "Yes... I got what I wanted. Even if I didn't notice it at first..."

 

Joonmyun agreed; people didn't always get what they want, but more often than not that meant that they hadn't worked hard enough for it. The elder had gotten what he'd wanted, even if he didn't notice at first and even if it wasn't what he'd expected. He knew now that this is what he'd wanted all along, that this is what he needed; he was happy and he didn't have to pretend to be someone he wasn't. 
 
"I'm glad," he murmured, ignoring the sarcasm as he leaned into the younger male and momentarily forgot about everything else. All he'd wanted lately was for Jongin to have what he wanted, for Jongin to be happy because he'd never had anything completely for himself. Now he did, and Joonmyun wanted him to be able to hold onto that for a very long time. 
 
Their moment was ruined, however, when the kitchen door opened and in barged Sunny, wheeling in a decent sized cart with different dishes and pots of what looked like unfinished meals. "Out. Outoutout." She practically shouted when she saw them, not even seeming to care that they were using the room. "I have things to do and you two will only be in the way. So... out. And whatever you were making, I'll figure it out and finish it for you." Without waiting for a response, she crossed the room, grabbed them both by the wrist, and promptly pushed them out into the hall. 
 
Joonmyun stared blankly at the door for a long moment before glancing up at Jongin; even he, who knew more about the oddities of the than the younger male, was confused. "What was that all about?"

 

The younger male hummed happily, nuzzling more into the elder's shoulder.  It had taken him a long time to realize it, maybe from that first meeting with the elder in the forest, where he'd been trying to escape and had only gotten Joonmyun injured and captured, that things didn't work the way they wanted. More often than not, life gave you what you needed, even before you realized you needed it.
 
And he needed Joonmyun, more than he realized. It was something he was only starting to pick up on, just how much he needed the elder. He needed the stability and comfort that Joonmyun offered, the gentleness and the warmth that Joonmyun was. And he needed the love that the elder gave him. Even if he didn't do it consciously; there /was/ love, and affection, in the things that he did and the way he looked at him.
 
Jongin's fingers curled into Joonmyun's, and he parted his lips to say something, something tht his brain told him not to, but before he could utter the words, Sunny was bursting into the kitchen and ruining their moment. He scowled at the elder woman as they were shoved out into the hall, and it took a moment before he chuckled and shook his head.
 
"...I've got no clue... Maybe she's PMS-ing?" he asked, ducking just in time to avoid the spatula that flew through the still open door before he laughed and tugged Joonmyun back down the hall. "...Come on, before she decides to start throwing knives at us..."

 

Joonmyun bit his lip to force away the smile that had broken out on his face, leaning back to duck out of the way of the spatula that Sunny had thrown at Jongin. He thought about taking a moment to tell her what he was making and what needed to be done, but he didn't have the chance before he was being tugged down the hall; he wasn't too worried, because Sunny was smart and she'd figure it out. 
 
Back in Jongin's- in /their/ bedroom, Joonmyun left Jongin's side and dropped down on the bed, sprawling out and giving a wide yawn. He was surprisingly tired for having slept all through the night before, but he imagined that his body was still trying to get over the trauma it had been through in the past week. 
 
After another yawn, he turned to face Jongin. "Can we just hang out here and watch movies for the rest of the day?"  There wasn't much else to do since the gardens and the kitchen weren't options, and he didn't feel like playing video games again. Plus, it gave Joonmyun an excuse to be closer to the younger boy, not that he needed an excuse.

 

"Yep, definitely PMS-ing," he shouted loud enough for Sunny to hear from down the hall, snickering when a large pan came flying out into the hallway, before he came to a stop to catch his breath and to laugh some more. "She's so much fun to tease, being that she's probably the only girl I associate with around here...Man, that's kinda sad..." He huffed a little and dragged his fingers through his hair as he followed along behing Joonmyun back to his - no, it wasn't just his room anymore... it was /their's/ - bedroom, stilling in the doorway to close said door behind him.
 
For a moment he just stood watching Joonmyun sprawl out on his bed, a smile creeping its way onto his features. The elder male looked so at peace, after everything that had happened he probably deserved some peace. Chewing on his lip, Jongin pushed himself away from the door and wandered over to the cabinet beneath the television so he could grab the remote for Joonmyun. 
 
"Here, you can pick..." he dropped the remote down on the boy's chest before crawling up onto the bed and leaning back into the pillows beside Joonmyun, arms folding against his chest and legs stretched right out. "Preferably no zombie movies though. Zombies freak the hell out of me." So do horror movies, but I'll be man enough and not tell you if you want to watch one. Just not zombies, because.... eugh. Just no.