More than strangers

Pretty People Never Lie

 

Chapter 22

 

An old man, looking like a black-haired bulldog in a business suit nodded in acknowledgement, offering Wu Fan the empty seat to his right.

The whole situation, made little sense, so the blonde did the only reasonable thing he could think of.

“I’m sorry,” He apologized.  “I think I came to the wrong place.” He was about to turn around and leave when the man spoke again.

“Aren’t you Kris Wu?” The bulldog-like businessman asked pointed at a small card on the table in front of the empty seat.

‘Kris Wu’ It said, leaving the Canadian even more distraught than he was a moment ago.

He nodded rigidly to the older man and obediently placed himself on the blue cushion on the floor. He gave himself a second to take in the room, before jumping into conclusions once again.

It was a private spot, decorated in Japanese, traditional paintings and flower arrangements. The food was already served and it looked like a million different types of raw fish sliced into thin lines and placed on top of rice, vegetables and in some cases even fruit.

The people around Kris looked tired, stressed out and with identical expressions of superiority. Some of them were talking in hushed tones and slowly sipping off their drinks, whereas others spoke loudly of incompetent workers and overseas business deals gone wrong, while making wild moves with their hands.

 Wu Fan knew those people. Well, perhaps not those exact ones, but he knew their kin.

Self-centered, ambitious office men and women, who handed out their business cards before they properly greeted you with a ‘hello’.

He was working for their exact replicas back in Shanghai and he had no idea why he was invited into such a meeting in the first place.

That’s when the words on the post-it papers came back to him.

‘This is a business deal.’ The notes kept repeating that and seriously, Kris should have figured it out earlier.

The reason he was called back to Seoul was to receive a job offer.

Just that.

Nothing more.

“You look uncomfortable.” The bulldog-like man commented in a low voice from next to him and the blonde was really thankful that this guy was one of the quiet ones.

“Well, it’s just that I’m not sure why I’m here.” Wu Fan admitted, frowning a little at his incompetence.

He already had a chance to ask Secretary Jang what sort of job offer this was. Yet, he had been foolish enough to waste his time thinking Chanyeol had invited him there, so he hadn’t acquire any real information about this meeting.

“Oh, don’t worry about that. None of us is sure about it either.” A soft pat at the back of Wu Fan’s back was added to reassure him.

“You were called here by the President of Sang Cha Rim, right?” The Canadian asked politely.

“Yes, yes… That guy.” The older man nodded and there was a hint of uncertainty in his voice.

“I apologize if that sounds blunt, but you don’t seem to like President Park all that much.” Kris chose his words carefully, plastering a meek smile on his face.

“It’s not that I don’t like him…” The businessman shook his head slowly. “I’m just a little concerned about his plans for the company.”

The blonde felt like laughing all of a sudden.

It was only normal that people would question Park Sukjin Hwejangnim’s judgment if he was planning on leaving this company to someone clueless like Chanyeol.

“I’m sure a man with so much experience would know what he’s doing.” Wu Fan tried to assure the older man, so naturally he was surprised to see his new acquaintance gape at him so profoundly.

“Did I say something wrong?” The Canadian furrowed his eyebrows, going back to check his words for mistakes.

However, his thoughts were suddenly interrupted.

To be honest, he hadn’t even noticed the door sliding open, or the man walking in, up until he actually sensed everyone around him, looking up and then promptly bowing a little.

Cursing himself inwardly for his absent-mindedness, Kris straightened up, preparing to bow as well, when his eyes met with the slender, tall silhouette of a person that was definitely not Park Sukjin Hwejangnim.

The dark gray suit, the black tie and gray pants; the blonde barely registered everything, before coming across that all-too-familiar pair of big, brown eyes, staring down at him.

Park Chanyeol.

Something tightened inside Wu Fan. Something like shock, turning into longing and then finally fear. One year had passed and he still hadn’t come up with the right things to say to him. Of course, to his defense, he hadn’t really planned on ever seeing him again. They weren’t supposed to see each other ever again, so Kris hadn’t arranged his speech beforehand. Hell, he hadn’t even arranged his feelings properly.

Should he see this meeting as revenge and feel angry about it? Or was he supposed to be thankful that Chanyeol was willing to see him, even in this strange situation? Was it really just a business deal?

In the end it didn’t matter, though.

Even going through that turmoil of different emotions, Kris was still unable to avoid staring at his former lover.

Park Chanyeol wasn’t wearing his usual shabby, oversized clothes and he wasn’t smiling like an idiot and his hair was now darker, straighter and shorter. Yet there was that unmistaken warmth and that bursting, positive energy which set him apart from everyone else in the room.

Their eyes met for a long moment and the Canadian’s fear increased. Chanyeol could always read him like an open book. He had that ability a year ago and Kris was pretty sure the talent was not lost. He felt like he was standing all of a sudden, under the boy’s strong gaze.

Chanyeol was the first to look away, not smiling, but, to the blonde’s relief, not scowling either.

The younger guy cleared his throat and greeted the businessmen in a loud voice, bowing as well and sitting down at the head of the table, on a seat that Kris hadn’t noticed being empty.

“Thank you so much for meeting me here, today.” The boy who used to be awkward in social events, smiled charmingly at everyone without much effort.

“What is all this about?” A woman with red hair and red lipstick asked in an annoyingly high voice and Kris wanted nothing more than to tell her to shut up and leave him alone with Chanyeol.

Perhaps the second part more than the first.

After a whole year, Chnayeol was in front of him and he looked refined and rich and charismatic, but none of that really mattered for Kris, because he just wanted to talk to him. Ask him if he was okay, if he had moved on and if he was living well. He thought he couldn’t take another minute away from the guy.

So the woman was a hindrance, in Wu Fan’s eyes. Yet all Chanyeol did was answer calmly that he would soon explain everything and then stare coolly at the people around him.

The Canadian didn’t want to comply, but it had been long since he started placing Chanyeol’s wishes, before his own and even after a year that didn’t seem to change one bit.

He ended up clenching his fists under the table and praying that this business talk would finish soon.

“I know you’re all worried about my taking over my father’s position.” Chanyeol was saying, as a couple of people nodded solemnly.

“A few of you even suggested I step down from this post.” He stared pointedly at the red-haired woman who seemed to shrink a little in her seat.

“But I am the main shareholder of this business. I am legally entitled to be the President of Sang Cha Rim and I promised my father to look after the company.” Chanyeol deadpanned.

“So I’m doing that.” Kris felt a sense of pride for the younger man.

He had done some pretty bad things to Chanyeol, but, despite this, during their time together the crazy guy had become more sure of himself. If there was one thing Wu Fan had done right, was to show Chanyeol just how much potential he had.

“Having cleared that up, I will admit that I have absolutely no talent for business.” A couple of gasps came from around the table at that.

“Please don’t look so surprised, since you all know it already.” Chanyeol smirked knowingly.

“I will take responsibility for this company that belongs to me. However, I can’t spend my life sitting in an office striking deals and worrying about sales.” Kris blinked a little, confused at his old lover’s announcement.

“That’s why I called you all here with a suggestion.” The boy paused for the effect.

“More than a year ago, my father met with a Chinese man, who came from Canada and lived in Seoul. This man was an honor student, who got two scholarships during college and finished first in his year. At the same time, he’s a person who knows how business works. Starting from the Fish Market in Noryangjin, he ended up working in one of the biggest companies in Shanghai.” At first, the blonde didn’t really understand.

It was only after he started putting the pieces together, that he saw the resemblance of this ‘man’ to himself.

“The first time they met, my father told this man that if he were to be the heir of Sang Cha Rim, my father wouldn’t have to worry again for the rest of his life.” It had been so long ago that Wu Fan had almost forgotten about those words. Park Sukjin Hwejangnim hadn’t, though, this much was obvious, and he had even discussed this with Chanyeol, which made even less sense to Kris.

“I thought about these words very hard and realized my father had been correct. A smart and strong person, made to be a businessman. A person who always admits his mistakes. And above everything else, a person willing to sacrifice his personal interests for someone else. That’s the kind of person this company needs.” Chanyeol was on fire now.

But all Kris could think about was that this was the guy he had once seen sitting alone with his best friend, in the corner of the classroom. The guy who spent his time sleeping or coming up with weird nicknames.

The same guy, who put post-it notes in all of Wu Fan’s books and wrote his name on the blonde’s white ceiling and made everyone laugh at his clumsiness when he fell, headfirst, on the campus street.

 And because, in Wu Fan’s eyes, even that clumsy, unsociable kid had looked so full of warmness and energy, the older man felt happy now. Seeing how everyone was hanging from the boy’s every word, the Canadian knew he had seen right, that first time they met, when he thought a bomb had exploded next to him. Only now, other people saw it too.

“So I have decided, to use that person as my replacement.” Chanyeol’s serious tone woke the Canadian from his memories.

“I don’t mind your suggestion, Park Hwejangnim, but who exactly is that man?” The bulldog-like man, who had talked to Kris before, asked politely.

“I believe he’s been sitting next to you all this time, Jang Daeho-sshi.” At these words, the blonde felt all eyes land on him. Some seemed judgmental, while others merely interested. All Wu Fan could see, though, was Chanyeol.

The boy motioned at him and almost smiled, that familiar, sneaky smile of his, causing the Canadian to look away in embarrassment. A room of people was waiting for Kris to do something, show just how amazing he truly was, when, in reality, he felt like a small kid who could only blush and act awkward, because they guy he liked had barely smiled at him.

If Chanyeol had become cool and admirable in a year, Wu Fan had turned into a shy and reserved person, who thought the world began and ended where Chanyeol was.

The blonde bravely pushed away the realization of how pathetic he must have looked to all those people and stood up obediently.

“Hello. My name is Kris Wu, or Wu Fan, whichever you like. It’s nice to meet you all.” He bowed deeply and hurried to sit back down, not even daring to eye Chanyeol while he was introducing himself.

“Is he going to work for Sang Cha Rim?” The red-haired woman, whose attitude had toned down a lot after Chanyeol’s speech, asked.

“I don’t know.” The new President answered plainly. “Are you, Wu Fan?”

Whether he wanted to, or not, the Canadian’s eyes shot up at the question. Not so much because Chanyeol had practically offered him a job in his company, but rather because he had called him Wu Fan.

So it had to be serious.

Still, this was a business deal, the blonde reminded himself.

It was possible that his former lover wanted Kris to be an employee and nothing more. Maybe, if he agreed to work in Sang Cha Rim, he would find himself seeing Chanyeol every day.

Kris would probably end up like a powerless spectator. Chanyeol was going to be successful and happy with his hordes of new friends and a nice, new boyfriend, while the Canadian would have no right to interfere and mess everything up again.

Despite knowing that this scenario was very likely to happen, Wu Fan knew he had no choice.

Being a mere spectator next to Chanyeol was a good deal for him. It was enough. More than he could ever ask for.

Besides, the boy was offering him his dream job, so that had to count for something.

“I’d be honored to work for you. That is, if you are giving me your consent.” The blonde smiled confidently, making even those people who had doubted him at first, nod in agreement.

“I’d be honored to work for you.” He repeated, only, this time, turning to Chanyeol and speaking to him directly.

“Good. Good.” The younger man sighed and to Wu Fan, it seemed like he appeared relieved.

“I have one more question, though.” One of the shareholders put in suddenly. “What part exactly is Kris-sshi going to play in the company?”

It was a good question altogether and everyone, including the blonde, stared at Chanyeol expectantly.

“Well,” The boy shrugged. “If I am the President of Sang Cha Rim then Kris is…” The Canadian wanted to laugh at Chanyeol’s nose still twitching as the boy tried to come up with the right words to say.

“Kris is the General Director! The Team Leader.” For one long moment the new President grinned, widely. “He’s Duizhang.” He finished triumphantly.

And just like that, Wu Fan was back to the first day they saw each other, in the college campus, when Chanyeol waved at him and told him they’d meet again tomorrow. Even back then, the prospect of being together with such a warm person made chills run down the blonde’s spine.

This hadn’t changed either.

The dinner went on for another half hour, during which Kris was bombarded with so many different questions, by the men and women who worked for the company, that he barely had the time to look at Chanyeol.

Then, slowly, one by one the shareholders started leaving.

Last came an old lady, who seemed to like alcohol a little too much, cause she was already more than tipsy and insisted her name was Empress Myungseong and she lived in the Gyeongbok Palace. In fact she told the substitute driver whom Chanyeol had called to take her there and when he refused she started ordering her guards to behead him.

As a result, the new President ended up driving her back home himself and Kris offered going with them to make sure she stayed, safely, at the back seat of the car.

It was a ten minute ride there, which went by in silence, as Kris was too scared to speak and Chanyeol looked like he had more important things in his mind.

“Should I take you back to the hotel?” The younger man asked after they had left the old woman to the care of her husband.

“It’s okay.” Wu Fan replied weakly. “Just go your way and leave me off in some main street. I’ll walk back.”

Chanyeol did as he was told. Only, he didn’t leave Kris off when they reached a familiar neighborhood. Nor did he stop at the next two subway stations that they passed by, or at that bus stop where the Canadian could take a bus leading straight to the hotel.

Instead, the new President drove all the way to the parking lot, next to their old college campus. He got off the car and the blonde hurried to do the same.

“Do you want a beer? Or a cup of ramen?” Chanyeol pointed at a convenience store nearby and asked all of a sudden.

“A beer would be nice.” Wu Fan wasn’t sure what he was doing anymore. He kept telling himself that this was just a business deal, that there was nothing more to expect. But Chanyeol kept talking to him and stealing looks at him and in the end all he could do was go along with it.

The Korean disappeared inside the convenience store and returned with two cans of beer in his hands.

“You don’t look different Duizhang.” He said, handing the blonde one of them and opening the other for himself.

“Neither do you.” Kris let the cold liquid clear his throat and wash away his fears, as the other laughed a little.

“Only you would say something like that.” Chanyeol commented. “Everyone else keeps saying how much my appearance has changed...”

“You didn’t need a suit and a tie to look impressive back when we first met. And you don’t need them now either.” The Canadian let himself smile as well, like this was an inside joke between the two of them. Something only the two of them noticed.

“How have you been?” The boy changed the subject abruptly.

“You’ve obviously already asked people about me, so what’s the point of making this question?” Because the Canadian had no doubt, Chanyeol had found out everything there was to know about his life in Shanghai before he offered him that job.

Right.” The Korean scratched his head as Kris watched the cars drive in front of them.

 “Duizhang…” Just by hearing Chanyeol call out his name, the Canadian felt his heart beating faster.

“The things I said, back at the diner-meeting, about you being talented and a good worker, I meant everything.” The new President explained.

“I know you did. Because it was a business deal.” It should have been easy for the younger man to praise Wu Fan’s social skills and hard-working nature. However, complimenting his character was a completely different deal.

“It was.” Chanyeol agreed. “And now the business meeting is over. So let’s forget about it.”

Kris turned around to glance at the Korean questioningly. “Forget about the business deal?” He said slowly.

“Yes. You’re working at Sang Cha Rim, it’s settled. Now, let’s put that aside and…” The younger guy gulped visibly, as if he was gathering his courage, yet Wu Fan beat him to it.

“You want to talk about personal matters?” Judging by the way Chanyeol stiffened at the question, the Canadian guessed he was right.

“If you don’t want to, you can leave.” The new President hurried to add. “I didn’t hire you to force you to talk to me. You can leave now and nothing changes about our deal. You’ll still be starting work on Monday.”

Kris suppressed a laugh. Chanyeol never changed. He would always, stupidly believe people cared more about things like work than they did for him.

 “I’m staying.” The blonde said seriously, fixing his eyes on the barely shorter figure next to him, taking in all the details that he had missed so much.

 “You should want to get away from that person who selfishly pushed you away to save his own pride.” Chanyeol bit his lower lip, nibbling on it for a while, anxiously.

“You saved your self-respect.” The Canadian corrected. “It was the right thing to do.”

“Maybe it was and I was mad at you, back then. But more than anything, I was hurt. It hurt like hell for me too, Duizhang.” The younger guy said in a soft voice and Kris smiled at how he didn’t even need to say he had been in pain, cause Chanyeol already knew.

“We were all messed up back then.” The new President continued. “And I-I wanted… I wanted to-” He sighed desperately, “To spend some time alone. To figure out my dreams and pursue them boldly. I wanted to get stronger…” Now the boy was speaking more confidently.

“I wished to be a person who doesn’t get called a victim because he fell in love with the man sent to train him.” He summed up, his eyes shining with tears as he looked at Kris.

And, really, the Canadian was not ready for this.

It was just too much.

“And did you become that person?” Wu Fan spoke in a low tone.

“I’m doing my best.” Chanyeol smiled at nothing in particular. “I didn’t graduate last year, I only changed departments. I’m majoring in Graphic Design now.”

“It suits you better.” The blonde nodded in agreement.

“I think I’m going to be a video game designer. I’ve always loved games…” The Korean pauses to drink from his beer, as a chuckle comes from the older guy.

“And did you also find the perfect boyfriend that you deserve, just like I advised you to?” There was no need for him to know about Chanyeol’s love life, the blonde knew it. Yet he was compelled to ask. Like a moth driven close to the fire that will probably burn him, he ignored all the gut-wrenching images of the man he loved in someone else’s arms and asked anyway.

“Nice, rich and caring?” The boy counted out fingers.  

“I wanted to find this perfect guy, you described, and fall in love with him, just to make you regret treating me like this.” Chanyeol frowned.

 “At first, I was angry and hurt. I wanted to prove to you that I’m strong, that I will not be played around and that I can become someone cool. I started asking myself, what would look cool in Duizhang’s eyes? What would make Duizhang see that I don’t need people to take care of me anymore?” The Korean seemed hesitant for a moment, like was still shaping up his next thought.

“But then it hit me. Angry or not, all I ever wanted was your respect and your approval. I tried to improve myself only so you could see me. ” Chanyeol put his empty beer can down and turned to face the older man who stared hard at the paved sidewalk, unable to make out the situation.

“I let you go for a year, in order for you to fix your mistakes and for me to get stronger. And after that, I thought-” The young President messed his short, brown hair, awkwardly. “I thought we could meet anew, as strangers and then we could…”

The blonde’s chest heaved up at this, pressure already filling up his insides. He turned and looked intently at Chanyeol’s big eyes.

“Well, it doesn’t matter right now… You see, I had been fooling myself. Improving is good, changing ourselves is ok. Sure. Despite that, one year cannot turn us into strangers.” The younger one said.

“We’re both better people now. More independent, more mature. If we had met today for the first time, in a business dinner, everything would have been so much easier. A boss falling for his General Director. Can it get more natural than this?” His eyes were on fire as usual and Wu Fan thought they were going to him in and burn him up. 

“Yet, you said it, the moment we were left alone; I’m still the same. My character, my likes and dislikes, haven’t changed all that much. And neither have yours, I’m sure about it.” Had Kris not been so mesmerized by the boy’s fiery eyes, he surely would have agreed to that.

He had been thinking of the same thing, after all.

No matter how much they grew up and how much they sorted out their lives, Chanyeol was still a crazy idiot and Wu Fan was still in love with him.

Some things didn’t change.

“To be honest, I no longer want us to start from scratch. It sounds ridiculous to meet again as strangers. I don’t care what you say, I don’t want a nice, rich and caring stranger, anymore.” Chanyeol breathed out.

“I want this clever bastard who had the audacity to act as my friend while he was working for my father. I want that guy full of painful memories who somehow never gives up. The guy who’s so good at lying, yet so bad at handling the guilt. And the ambitious General Director, cause he’s part of you, too.” Kris felt himself shivering at that.

It wasn’t fair. Chanyeol was too good. Way too good and so it wasn’t fair. He could never amount to that much. No matter how hard he tried and Wu Fan always turned out to be one step behind.

While he only wanted to become a better person, never even considering the possibility of him and Chanyeol getting back together, the Korean was already fighting to make things work out.

It wasn’t fair, yet, stupid as it might sound, Kris didn’t care.

He couldn’t possibly force himself to think about scores and rules.

He had spent a year counting his mistakes and fighting to improve himself and Chanyeol was right; he had matured and become better, but he couldn’t change his deeper feelings.

This was who he was. And since Chanyeol didn’t seem to dislike his real character, it was time he stopped hating himself, as well.

“I’m also crazily handsome.” The Canadian joked. “You forgot that.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes, as a fresh grin bloomed on his soft lips.

“You’re just a big, fat liar. And not even handsome. You’re pretty, like a girl…” He teased.

Then, suddenly, the younger man sobered up.

“Wu Fan,” He straightened his back, “I’m warning you. If you want to run away, this is your last chance.”

The words were familiar, because they were part of the blonde’s most precious memories. And Chanyeol had called him by his real name, which meant he was being serious.

“I stopped running away, long ago.” Kris assured, reaching out and taking the boy’s hand in his.

“And I don’t want us to be two mature and sophisticated strangers.” The blonde dragged Chanyeol closer to him, linking their foreheads together and tying his arms around the other’s slender waist.

He had spent almost the entire night staring into those dark brown eyes and still he couldn’t get enough of them. Something in him stirred every time the crazy guy gave him one of those innocent and playful looks and he could no longer suppress the tears that were coming out freely.

It was his first time, crying from joy.

“I want this crazy idiot, too. The guy who is so wise that most people think he’s stupid. That one guy who made me his company’s ‘Duizhang’, just because he could. And the only guy who managed to warm up an Eskimo.” He softly, kissed the boy’s nose that was getting red from the cold wind, as Chanyeol used his thumb to wiped away his tears.

“I want you too, Park Chanyeol.” Wu Fan burnt warm kisses on every spot that he laid his eyes on, ending with the lips.

And before he knew it, Chanyeol was already kissing him back, with that honest, almost sinful willingness of his. Their bodies were pressed to each other, legs tangling up and heartbeats getting muffled together. The blonde’s hands tracing down Chanyeol’s spine and resting on his lower back, while the younger man tied his own, protectively around Wu Fan’s neck.

Chanyeol tasted of alcohol and sushi and the Canadian was no big fan of sushi, but he still loved that taste. So he started exploring the boy’s mouth, boldly and curiously, like a kid. He bit the boy’s lower lip, claiming that he had always wished to know how it felt when Chanyeol did it himself. Then, he agreed to let his lover place a hand on his chest to check whose heart was beating faster.

Smirking sneakily first, he took his time placing silly, purple marks on the other’s collarbone and on his neck. Chanyeol hugged him tight, like a teddy bear and the older man didn’t protest up until he felt completely suffocated. As a punishment, he played with the Korean’s short hair and tried to see if his hipbone fitted in his hand, causing the Korean to blush up to his ears.

Kris couldn’t help it though.

He was curious to experience everything.

He wanted everything. To give everything and take everything and possibly to just keep everything as it was. Because it was already perfect enough.

Chanyeol lead him back in the college campus, where he had moved right after he announced to his father that he was changing majors, and to his surprise, Wu Fan recognized his old dorm.

“You kept my dorm?” He asked in amazement.

“It’s my dorm now.” Chanyeol kissed his cheek and pushed him inside and right on the familiar bed in the corner of the room.

“The things you wrote on the ceiling are still there as well…” The blonde smiled idly seeing the message ‘Chanyeol is here too!’ written with a black marker on the white roof.

“Yeah…” The new President muttered. “I missed you so much every time I looked up and saw these words.”

Kris stood up, ignoring Chanyeol’s protests because his pillow was gone, and picked out a pen. He got on the bed and added a sentence on the ceiling above them.

‘Wu Fan is here as well.’

With that, he settled back down, letting his boyfriend’s head rest on his lap and running his hands through Chanyeol’s hair until they were both sound asleep.

 

THE END

 


 

 

A/N: OMO! This is it, you guys! And seriously, if I have anyone to thank for finishing this it's you !!

All the pretty people who read this story and subscribed and even commented and upvoted. I'm more thankful than you can imagine. 

So, I'll be posting another chapter, like a big A/N to thank everyone (not a sequel to the story).

Tell me what you thought about the end! 

Happy 2013 !

 

PS: Some people have been askign for more weird fics, but, in fact, I'm already working on a couple of stories. 

This is a small corner of self-advertising: 

Kaisoo fics: The Love Letter,  Flyfish,  Lovestruck 

Hunhan fic: It's fine since it's you

Oneshot Request Project: Project Cheer-Up!