No more games

Pretty People Never Lie

 

 

Chapter 17

 

It was a sunny morning and everything in Wu Fan’s room reminded him of Park Chanyeol.

One time, a while back, when he was desperate to forget the curly-haired boy, the Canadian had searched everywhere to find something, anything that didn’t bring back memories of Chanyeol.

In the end, he had settled for the white ceiling, angry that this was the only place in the whole dorm left untarnished by the crazy guy.

Last night, as they had ended up in his room, after more than one heated make up sessions, Kris had been foolish enough to tell that story of him spending the whole night staring at an empty ceiling to Chanyeol.

Now, as the blonde looked up from his bed he could easily read the boy’s awkward scribblings, words written with a black marker on white paint.

‘Park Chanyeol is here too!’

So the younger guy was all around Kris. There was nowhere he could look and not see the boy; nowhere he could run and escape from him.

He turned his gaze at the sleeping figure next to him.

Was this happiness?

Kris contemplated whether he should get up and make breakfast for his guest, or just stand there, playing with Chanyeol’s beautiful hair, watching him inhale and exhale evenly and wondering if this is happiness.

Focusing on the boy’s face and he struggled to remember if he always slept with a smile, or if it just happened tonight.

Wu Fan tried to overanalyze last night’s events, cause that had become kind of his thing lately, but it just didn’t work.

All he could think of was how handsome Chanyeol was and how nice his lips tasted and how warm his soft pecks made him feel.

It wasn’t so much coherent thoughts, as it was love songs and images of last night and quick heartbeats that formed the insides his head at that moment.

And Kris was sure, he’d absolutely detest this kind of lovesick feeling, but it was Park Chanyeol, so he decided he could let it go.

He could be lovesick for Chanyeol.

Chanyeol deserved that.

However, the more he thought about the Korean and what he deserved, the more he sobered up.

And Kris realized that if it takes a second to fall in love, it probably takes even less to start worrying about the person you love.

With worry taking over and trampling on his beautiful, bubbly images, he finally stood up on the bed and tried to untangle himself from the younger boy’s arms without waking him up.

The blonde tried to make omelet and tea in silence, ‘tried’ being the key word, because on the one hand, he at cooking and on the other, he was busy thinking about what he was going to do before Chanyeol woke up.

He put the messy-looking omelet on the table with some rice and covered them up using a clean plate. Then he searched at the depths of his backpack for a blank post-it note that Chanyeol had chunked in there weeks ago.

He pulled it out and left a note that he’d be coming back before ten and Chanyeol should just eat and wait for him.

He wanted to add a ‘Love, Wu Fan’ at the end of the note, but he decided against it.

The Canadian was going to properly confess as soon as he came back, since there was something he had to do first.

Taking his coat, Kris closed the front door and headed towards the bus stop. Just like all the times he was in a hurry, the bus took too long to come.

Walking through Sang Cha Rim’s front door, Wu Fan went back to a few months ago, when he had visited his mother’s old friend who had a job offer for him, in the same place.

This time around, he hadn’t bothered to put on a suit and the cute secretary no longer stared at him in awe. But it didn’t matter. Kris felt better in his jeans and a white shirt and he needed all the encouragement he could get.

The blonde didn’t bother talking to his old acquaintance. Instead, he took the elevator to the last floor and asked for the President himself.

“Wu Fan!” Seeing him, Park Sukjin Hwejangnim put down the newspaper he was reading and stood up. A pleasant smile was on his face as he offered Kris a cup of coffee.

“I was planning on calling you as well.” The middle aged man commented. “I’m glad you visited today. I have great news.”

The Canadian nodded solemnly, suspecting that the news he was bringing would dampen Sukjin Hwejangnim’s spirits considerably.

“Sir, before you say anything else, can I-” His voice trailed off, suddenly regretting his boldness in front of Chanyeol’s dad.

The older man didn’t seem to mind, though.

“Oh, yes, right! You came all the way here to see me and I’m already monopolizing the conversation.” The President apologized earnestly and prompted Wu Fan to speak.

“Actually, I should be the one to apologize, Sir.” Kris wasn’t sure how to put this.

“Apologize? About what?” Chanyeol’s dad sounded surprised.

“You asked me to make your son a proper businessman. But I have failed. You told me not to be swayed by him. But I was. And you made a deal with me that would last a year. However, I cannot work for you anymore.”

It had been too long since the blonde had first felt the need to say those words. He had rehearsed the sentences a million times in his head and finally, he was saying them out loud.

The way his mind emptied and his back felt significantly lighter was phenomenal.

For Kris, this was the first step to redemption.

Surprisingly, the President began laughing.

“You’ve failed? No way!” He gave the Canadian a disbelieving look.

“I have, Sir.” Nevertheless, Wu Fan insisted.

“In fact, I have betrayed your trust, just as much as I have betrayed Chanyeol’s and… honestly, this is my only way…” Under the older man’s scrutinizing glance Kris felt extra self-conscious.

“You have not betrayed my trust.” Park Sukjin Hwejangnim interrupted him.

“My only wish was for my son to mature and start acting like an adult. And yes, I expected him to take care of the company which I have spent thirty years building, but that doesn’t mean I wanted him to take over, necessarily.” The blonde watched flabbergasted, while Chanyeol’s dad explained the situation calmly.

“I-I don’t understand.” Everything sounded so confusing that Wu Fan didn’t even manage to control his stuttering.

“Chanyeol came over yesterday and even though we have had a huge fight last week, he was very serious and well-mannered.” The President began.

“He told me that he’s not a child. He said only he was responsible for his future and he had no plans of becoming a businessman. Despite that, he promised to leave the company in good hands before following his own ambitions.” A soft chuckle escaped the man’s lips as he recounted his son’s words.

“Frankly, I had underestimated Chanyeol. I never expected him to make such bold decisions.” The blonde let a warm smile appear on his face, at that.

“Chanyeol is more amazing than you can imagine, Sir.” He put in; trying not to think of all the ways the curly-haired guy surprised and amazed him.

“I’m happy that you sorted things out with him. That means you won’t be needing my assistance in the future.” Wu Fan added more reserved now.

“Because, Sir, I cannot work for you a minute longer.” Saying that, the blonde pulled up from his seat and bowed deeply in front of the older man.

“I’m sorry, but I cannot be on your side anymore.” He said with his head still lowered. “I have no excuse for my behavior. All I can do is give you this.”

Kris quickly took a white envelope out of his pocket and placed it on top of the President’s desk.

It was the least he could do after this mess he had created.

“What is this?” Park Sukjin Hwejangnim seemed alarmed as he opened the envelope and came across a check.

“It’s not much, yet, slowly, I will return all the money you have given me during these past few months. I wish I could give back the scholarship as well, however, the school year is almost over, so that’s not possible.” The blonde let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding as Chanyeol’s dad pushed the envelope inside one of his desk’s drawers.

“I see. If this will make you feel better, then I shall accept it.” Hearing that, Wu Fan slowly straightened up and returned to his previous position.

“But, my boy, I really think you deserved that money and that scholarship. After all, it was you who influenced Chanyeol to think seriously about his life.” The President of Sang Cha Rim pointed out, hesitantly. “As far as I’m concerned, you did everything you had promised when we first made that deal.”

His sincerity made the Canadian consider it.

It was true that Chanyeol had changed a lot since they first met. He wasn’t so reckless and childish anymore. He spoke clearly about what he wanted, not to mention that lately he took more initiatives and was in better control of his life.

Kris wasn’t sure whether that change had something to do with himself being there, yet he couldn’t help but hope it did.

Having made Chanyeol just a little braver and just a little happier was more than he could ask for.

How the crazy Korean’s happiness had ended up being his own happiness was something he was still trying to explain in his head.

Was this how love worked?

“Even if that’s the case, Sir, I am content just knowing I helped Chanyeol.” Wu Fan finally replied.

“So, my son’s happiness is enough for you?” The President’s voice didn’t sound angry or threatening. Nevertheless, the blonde couldn’t keep himself from sweating a bit.

Despite his fear, he answered honestly. “It is.”

“And how long have you felt that way?” This second question was more deep and serious than the first.

“Too long, Sir.” Kris admitted.

“Will you tell Chanyeol the truth about our deal?” The Canadian thought about it for only a second.

“I will. I can’t possibly go on without confessing everything to your son.” It was a decision he had been dancing around for a long time.

 Wu Fan had dreaded that moment, so much, he thought he’d rather die than have Chanyeol push him away. He was slowly coming to terms with it, though, ever since he had realized he was in love with the guy. Above everything else, the important thing was Chanyeol. If he was happier hating Kris, then maybe, just maybe, Kris would learn to live with it.

He was willing to take that chance.

Since Park Chanyeol had become a better person for him, Kris should man up and be a better person too. And if that better version of himself was still not good enough -because after all he couldn’t take back the mistakes he had made- then Chanyeol should just throw him away.

“Ok. Very well. I will not interfere with your relationship with my son any further.” Park Sukjin Hwejangnim stressed the word ‘relationship’ in a way that made the blonde look down to hide his flushed face.

“You said you would take care of him. From now on, I don’t think Chanyeol needs to be taken care of. But since you promised, I expect you to take responsibility for him.” The corners of the President’s mouth turned upwards to form a small smirk and the young man across the desk wished he was able to melt away from the heat in his face and be spared the embarrassment.

“I’ll be there for him, as long as he wants me by his side.” It was the best Kris could promise at that point and he was thankful the businessman accepted it and did not ask for more.

During the journey to Sang Cha Rim the Canadian things had moved too fast, however, on his way home, back to Chanyeol, everything seemed to slow down and become blurry.

The fear wasn’t new, nor was the worry pressing Wu Fan’s chest, but the world had never seemed so hazy before. It looked a little like he was dreaming, like this was not really happening.

In a few minutes, one hour top, Chanyeol would know everything and Kris felt so numb knowing that. He was going on autopilot. His feet found the way back home even though he was paying no attention and his fingers managed to turn the door knob without his help and his eyes found Chanyeol all on their own.

The boy was up already. So much for hoping he could wake him up.

Chanyeol was staring at him and Wu Fan could be wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time after all, but it seemed like the crazy guy wasn’t so peaceful either.

“Where have you been?” The younger man asked and his voice rang with worry.

“I had something to settle.” The blonde sighed as he saw the food he had prepared untouched.

“You didn’t eat.” He pointed out and he thought he shouldn’t sound so depressed on their first day as a couple, yet he couldn’t pretend any more.

Chanyeol plopped on a chair next to him and lowered his head so much it almost touched his chest.

“I thought you left.” He mumbled between sniffs and it began dawning on the blonde that he had started crying.

“I did leave.” Kris narrowed his eyes and sat next to the boy to make sure he was okay.

But his ignorance made the Korean even more frustrated.

“I mean for good!” He shouted. “I thought you left for good.”

This made Wu Fan scratch his head a couple of times. “But this is my dorm. Why would I leave from my dorm? Besides, I wrote a note for you,  saying that I’d be back in a while and you should go ahead and have breakfast.”

Chanyeol suddenly raised his head and bit his lower lip, completely unaware of the fact that the blonde was barely restraining himself from pulling him closer and biting on that same spot.

“I didn’t see the note.” The boy said in a small voice and it was too much for Kris to handle.

“Y-you always said you’d have to l-leave one day…” Chanyeol frowned as the older cupped his face and wiped away the tears. “I woke up and it was cold.”  The crazy guy leaned his face to the touch, letting his eyes close and his muscles relax.

“Before I met you, I was always warm. Now… when you’re away from me, I get cold.” Kris felt his heart swelling at those words. He moved closer and placed a soft kiss on the boy’s forehead.

“I’ve only known cold, before you.”  Kris confessed, in turn. Then he kissed the side of his nose.

“You’re my warmth, too, Chanyeol-ah.” He traced a third kiss on his cheek.

“My only warmth.” The younger man was about to reply something, as a final tear rolled down his face, but Kris silenced him with his lips.

It was going to be only a peck, the blonde had decided. Just a small kiss to wipe away the tears and the worry and the cold.

However, Chanyeol was childish and he wanted more and with his hands holding Wu Fan’s face so gently, the older guy was starting to forget his resolutions. With Chanyeol’s touch everything was soothed out and forgotten. And if the Canadian didn’t forget, he wanted to believe he did.

It was that pitiful game Kris had been playing ever since he met Chanyeol. And the boy was unknowingly raising the stakes with every small move and every soft smile.

It was that pathetic bargaining people do with life some times, saying,

'I can lie. I’m not the kind of person who would care for him. I’ll just use him and then leave. Nothing bad can happen to me. I’ll go a bit closer, just to feel his warmth. I’ll just watch him smile once.

Let me stand just an inch closer. For just a while longer.

One more day, like this.

Give me one more smile.

One more kiss and I’m gone.'

But then you get greedy.

Kris had to stop the game.

He had promised Chanyeol’s dad, he had promised himself he’d become a better person.

“Chanyeol-ah…” He breathed into their kiss, causing the boy to move back, if only a little and stare at him questioningly.

“I-I have to talk to you.” The blonde shuddered as Chanyeol moved his hands from his face.

“But we’re kissing now…” The Korean whined a little, but didn’t protest further.

“It’s serious. It can’t wait anymore. I have to tell you everything.” For a second the Canadian had to stop talking, only to suppress the need to run away and go hide.

And that second was enough to change the course of events.

A knock was heard from the door, startled Chanyeol and making him stand up.

“Go open the door!” He hissed at Kris.

It was the mailman; Wu Fan sighed and tried not to glare too much at the man for interrupting them.

He was given a white envelope and was asked to sign on a piece of paper that he had received it.

The blonde thanked the man grumpily and only after closing the door did he take a closer glance at the letter.

Chanyeol who was looking at the same thing from over his shoulder drew in a breath, surprised.

“Is that from your parents?” He asked in that deep voice of his.

Honestly, if the curly-haired boy hadn’t said it out loud, Wu Fan would have thought he was dreaming.

This should have been a nightmare.

 


 

A/N: So... things are getting serious... 

In case you didn't realize we're drawing closer to the end of this story. 

It will probably be 20 chapters long, or something. 

So take your chance and comment now! (Hehehe, what am I even saying?!)

Everyone thanks a lot for reading and giving love to this story!

KAMSAMNIDAAAAAAAA!!!!

Also, lots of love to the people who upvoted this story!!