Between Father and Son

Pretty People Never Lie

 

 

Chapter 14

 

What had actually happened? That thought plagued Wu Fan’s mind all night. He paced up and down his small room and cursed under his breath, but he didn’t dare wake Chanyeol up to ask him.

He had already begged him to go to the hospital, hours ago, to which he had gotten a barely audible, yet quite emphatic, refusal back. Then, he had given the kid pretty much any sort of pharmaceutical product he owned, from aspirins to hangover medicine, in a desperate attempt to help him feel better.

Some of them must have worked, because by three in the morning, Chanyeol was sleeping peacefully in the blonde’s bed. He wasn’t sweating anymore and the trembling had long stopped.

Now, Kris sat next to him, careful not to disturb his sleep. He applied some more ointment on the boy’s forehead wound and that bleeding spot right next to his mouth, while he brushed away some curls that were falling over his eyes.

“What the hell happened to you?” He whispered, fully aware that he wasn’t getting any answers back. Not just yet, anyway.

When the morning would come and Chaneyol would feel a little better and look a little more like the cheerful, crazy bastard that he was, Wu Fan was going to tell him off big time for his irresponsible behavior.

You look pathetic. Are these the looks of a young, rich guy? He was going to say that too. It didn’t matter if he didn’t mean it, or if it wasn’t the truth in the first place, because the blonde’s panic and worry had slowly and steadily turned into anger.

“Yah, you bastard! Is this how you’re going to be after I leave?” He hissed in a low tone. “You stayed alone for two weeks and when we meet again, you’re like this? Did you realize I’m a bad person and decided to drive me crazy as payback?” The questions flowed out of his mouth without restraint. Yet, he never raised his voice enough to disturb Chanyeol’s sleep and he never stopped running his fingers through the boy’s silky hair.

The tears didn’t stop falling either.

“I’ll admit it, Park Chanyeol.” He stared at the boy’s weak body, hunched on his mattress. After all this time, he knew, painfully well, every curve of his figure; from the strong shoulders and well-shaped collarbone to the straight, long legs and the pointy bones of his wrists.

“I’ll admit that I’m the jerk. I’m the one who should suffer. I’m the one who definitely will.” The helplessness was starting to color his voice.  “Since I said that, can’t you take care of yourself? Can’t you be someone whom I don’t need to push away from speeding cars and nurse after he gets beaten to a pulp?”

So much for being mad at the boy, Kris thought. No matter what mature and logical plan he had made, melted away whenever he eyed Park Chanyeol, like ice cream under the burning sun.

“But if I do that,” The person on Wu Fan’s bed stirred awake, “If I become someone who doesn’t need protecting, won’t Duizhang leave me?” Chanyeol blinked a couple of times, before turning his eyes on the startled blonde who was fighting to wipe away his tears.

The Canadian felt just a little offended by the question. He was many things to Park Chanyeol, both good and bad; personal bodyguard was not one of them, though.

“Why would I go away because of that? I’ll be happier, if I don’t have to worry about you all the time.” He settled with saying and the boy frowned.

“You leave no room for childish nagging, when you put it this way…” Chanyeol almost whined.

“Don’t try to stand up!” Kris gently pushed him down as the other guy tried to sit up on the bed.

“Aish! I’m not a doctor…” The blonde looked around helplessly, trying to figure out what more to do to take care of the kid.

“Can’t we go to the hospital already?” He asked while throwing a blanket over Chanyeol’s upper body.

“No.” The boy shook his head. “Let’s not. I’m already feeling better. Your bug repellent spray is working wonders on my bruises.”

Chanyeol motioned at a bottle of bug spray next to his bed and smiled a cheeky grin at Kris.

The smile was proving contagious. Soon, the blonde was laughing as well.

It had been long since he last laughed so lightheartedly and freely, like that. Lately, there had always been something; a tug in his stomach, making his smiles subdued. As if someone had cut the communication line between his face and his heart, causing a shortage of emotions, and now, finally, Chanyeol had reconnected it.

“And wait till the laxatives start working… You’ll be good as new after that.” The older guy smirked at the curly-haired Korean’s shocked face.

“You-you..!” Pointing an accusing finger at him, Chanyeol shouted at the top of his lungs, even though it was way past midnight.

“I’m just kidding…” Wu Fan patted him in the back soothingly. “I didn’t have any.”

“So if you did have, I’d be spending the night in your bathroom, huh?” Chanyeol crossed his arms, perturbed.

“Probably.” The blonde nodded, solemnly.

Then they started laughing again, their voices mixing up in a chorus that could beat even the best orchestras, in Wu Fan’s mind.

An hour later, the Canadian was standing on the other side of the bed, where the pillow used to be, his back leaning on the wall right next to it and his long feet inevitably hanging from it.

The younger boy hadn’t actually asked for it, but Kris saw his hopeful face when he pointed out that the pillow was not comfortable enough.

So the blonde took the initiative, because, after all, the boy was hurt, and volunteered himself to be Chanyeol’s pillow. Of course he failed to see how his thighs were more comfortable than the feather pillow the boy had discarded on the floor, yet his friend looked pretty happy with the current bed arrangements.

“Can’t you mess my hair again, like you did when I was sleeping?” The boy risked to ask a moment later.

Again Wu Fan complied. He put a hand on the crazy guy’s head and let his fingers bury deep inside his silky locks. He run through every one of them, slowly, closely, like it was a very serious job that he needed to be concentrated to perform.

When he was done combing the boy’s hair with his hands he finally said what had been driving him crazy all night.

“What happened?” He saw Chanyeol staring back at him, just a little surprised.

“I had a fight with my father.” The curly-haired guy shrugged indifferently.

“What for?” No reply came.

“Is he the one who hit you?” Kris changed his question.

“Who? Dad?! No way… He’s not that kind of person.” Chanyeol did an eye roll and Wu Fan nodded.

“Then why are you hurt?” It came out more demanding this time, but the Canadian was determined to find out the whole situation.

“I run away from home and went to sleep at the park. But then some weird people came over and said it was their spot. So I kindly pointed out that we were in a public park.” Kris cringed at that part.

“Why would you say something like that?” He scowled. “Were they the ones who beat you up?”

A cute pout found its way on Chanyeol’s face.

“There was ten of them and one of me...” He lowered his voice, like a storyteller while describing a war scene.

“Figures.” Wu Fan interrupted him. “You look like hell.”

“Ha! Wait till you see them!” The boy scoffed and stuck out his tongue.

“Since you run away from home why didn’t you come here from the beginning?” The blonde went serious again.

“You know why.” Chanyeol stated and it was true. Kris did know.

“And what about Baekhyun’s place?” The blonde asked and the kid gave him an are-you-serious look.

“Baekhyun’s apartment is Search Place Number One in dad’s list.” He explained, like it was the most obvious thing in the world and Wu Fan drew a breath in.

His younger friend had no idea, but if Baekhyun’s place was ‘Search Place Number One’ then his dorm would probably be ‘Search Place Number Two’ for Park Sukjin Hwejangnim.

What if the President decided to barge in there -he had paid for this dorm anyway, so he had every right- only to find his son, injured and lying on Wu Fan’s lap?

He shook his head to dispose of the thought.

Like Chanyeol had said before, President Park was not that kind of person. Not the kind of person who would intrude the dorm of someone he barely knew so early in the morning to make inquiries about his son.

The blonde tried hard to reassure himself and calm down before the crazy kid noticed his distress and he had almost succeeded when his phone went off, startling both him and the boy, who raised his head alarmed.

 The blonde felt his hands that were still playing with Chnayeol’s curls, freeze, but he regained his composure fast enough.

“It’s just my phone. Don’t worry.” He whispered warmly, before pushing Chanyeol a little to the side in order to stand up.

Scared of missing the call, he didn’t even look at the screen before picking up.

“Hello?” The Canadian questioned, his heart beating in his ears.

“Yes? Wu Fan?” The blonde’s eyes opened wide. It was Park Sukjin Hwejangnim after all. Perhaps he had been too polite to barge in his house, yet he had called.

Kris gave a guilty look at Chanyeol before slowly opening his door and going out of the small apartment.

“Yes, hello? I’m listening.” He said the moment the cold wind hit his face.

“I’m sorry for calling you in the middle of the night.” The President sounded genuinely remorseful about it.

“It’s okay.” Kris put in politely. “Please tell me what the problem is.” He suspected that the older man’s problem was none other than the guy currently sleeping on his bed, but he wasn’t going to confess that to the President.

“I had a fight with my son earlier tonight and he left quite angry with me. He hasn’t returned yet and I’m a little worried.” The man explained hesitantly, like he was scared Wu Fan might yell at him or something.

“I was wondering whether he contacted you. He hasn’t called Byun Baekhyun, I know that for sure.” The Canadian stifled a laugh at that. Eyeliner Baekhyun really was the first suspect when Chanyeol disappeared.

Kris contemplated his options.

For a lying bastard he sure had a strange inclination towards the truth, he realized.

And knowing that Chanyeol’s dad wasn’t half bad, albeit a little unorthodox in his methods -just like his son- he was tempted to just be honest with him.

The older man already seemed worried sick about the boy, so Wu Fan had a pretty good reason to just say the truth.

But then it hit him.

Like a ton of bricks landing on top of his good intentions. The way Chanyeol’s head weighted down his lap and the way his locks felt in his fingers. Not to mention the innocent way Chanyeol stared at him, comforted by his presence and still worried about being found out by his father.

Kris was standing, at that moment, between father and son and he respected both of them. However, the one he loved was Chanyeol. And the one he had wronged the most was also Chanyeol.

The Canadian had lied so much and so shamelessly only thinking about himself. He decided he could lie once more for that curly-haired man who called him Wu Fan only when he was serious.

“No. I’m sorry, he hasn’t.” The blonde replied in a steady voice and the man sighed from the other side of the line.

“I see. This guy is acting like a child again, driving me crazy.” The President mumbled more to himself than Kris.

“Don’t worry too much, Sir. I’ll look for him and bring him back.” Wu Fan added.

“Really?” The man sounded hopeful.

“Sure. I’ll take care of your son.” It came out a little different than what Kris had intended and startled him, just as much as it must have startled the President.

Or maybe even more.

“Take care of Chanyeol?” After a long pause the older man chuckled good-naturedly. “It’s not an easy task, but since you volunteered, should I let you?”

“Please do.” Kris bit his lower lip anxiously, like a highschool student before finals.

When he had proposed to take care of Chanyeol he had meant more than just finding him after he ran away. He had in mind something more permanent and serious; like loving him and looking after him forever. And as he was about to smack himself mentally for his thoughts, Park Sukjin Hwejangnim had said something that sounded equally serious and permanent.

“Since you agreed to take responsibility for him, I’ll allow it.” His voice came deep and meaningful.

Kris bowed a little even though he knew Chanyeol’s dad couldn’t see him.

“Thank you, Sir. Goodnight.” He said formally and closing his phone he walked back in.

“Who was it?” Chanyeol seemed to have perked up considerably. Kris gave a searching look at the boy who was now bouncing on his bed.

“None of your business.” He answered curtly, yet he didn’t mean to come out rude and his friend simply shrugged.

“Won’t you tell me why you argued with your father?” The older of the two suddenly asked.

“It’s kind of embarrassing…” The curly-haired guy frowned and patted the mattress next to him for Kris to sit on.

“You already told me you fought against homeless people on the park. How worse can it be?”The blonde landed next to the kid, making the mattress sink in a little.

“Yah!” Chanyeol growled. “This time it’s serious.” He seemed ready to scold Wu Fan, like he was a little kid who had broken his mother’s vase.

“I got it. I’ll behave.” Kris said calmly, his shoulder brushing Chanyeol’s form the proximity. “I’ll be good, so just tell me.”

The younger guy grimaced and shook his head. “Ugh, please don’t say things like that.” He bit his lower lip. 

“Like what?” Kris blinked, unaware of the problem.

“Things like ‘I’ll behave’ and ‘I’ll be good’. In that husky voice of yours.” Chanyeol muttered with a barely audible voice. “I’m a young man too, you know. Full of needs and hormones-”

At that point the blonde scoffed and moved to his previous position on the head of the bed, with his back on the wall and softly pulled the boy down to rest his head on Wu Fan’s lap.

“I thought you were going to be serious.” He looked down at Chanyeol’s surprised and still slightly flushed face, with a disapproving expression.

“Ok, ok!” The boy raised his hands in surrender.

“Well, you see, dad and I always fight about the same thing. I made the mistake of being honest with him and telling him what I really feel like and he freaked out.” Chanyeol narrated, his body relaxing as Wu Fan’s fingers found their place in his hair.

“It’s just the way I am, but he cannot accept it. He even threatened to throw me out and disown me, this time.” Kris flinched at this, which didn’t go unnoticed by the other guy.

“Are you ok?” Chanyeol asked concerned. “Am I bothering you?”

The blonde gulped and shook his head numbly. “N-no.” He felt his voice breaking and took a moment to calm himself.

“Did you tell him you’re gay? Is that why he freaked?” He tried to act strong and support Chanyeol, but all he got was a puzzled look.

“Tell him I’m gay? But he already knew that, ages ago.” The boy forced himself to shrug even though it seemed to be hurting him. And then, as if he just realized what made his friend so worried he laughed warmly.

“Oh, dad doesn’t care if I like girls or guys. He’s was pretty cool about it from the beginning. He said, it was my personal life and I had every right to love whoever I wanted, or something like that.” Chanyeol smiled sweetly at the memory, before turning grumpy again.

Kris sighed.

“If it’s not that, then why did you fight?” He asked promptly.

“About the Company.” The curly-haired guy seethed. “Dad is the President of some big company, I won’t bore you with the details, but the point is, he wants me to succeed him.” Wu Fan felt guilty, because he already knew all those details that the younger guy didn’t want to mention, first hand.

“And you don’t want that?” The blonde asked despite knowing the answer.

“I absolutely hate it.” The other confirmed hotly.

“I mean, I don’t want to be a businessman for the rest of my life. I know this company means a lot to dad, yet how can he expect me to give up my future for it?” Chanyeol ranted.

“Have you told him that?” It was question that had been bugging Kris for a while now. He knew Chanyeol was a little crazy – okay, a lot- but he thought the boy had a good brain. If he had talked to his father, the way he just spoke to Wu Fan, then Park Sukjin Hwejangnim wouldn’t have been so angry and worried for him all the time.

Or so the blonde believed.

“Of course I’ve told him.” The Korean guy nodded, solemnly.

“And what did he say to that?” Wu Fan asked.

“He said that I keep opposing his plans for me, talking about ‘my’ future, however, I have never thought seriously about it.” Chanyeol pouted. “He thinks I’m just saying ‘no’ to piss him off. Ha! What am I, a kid or something?”

Kris rolled his eyes. He had expected an explanation like this.

“Well, you do act like a baby most of the time.” He said and looked at the boy challengingly, as if daring him to prove him wrong.

“That’s just the way I am around friends. You know I’m pretty serious up here.” Chanyeol pointed at his head meaningfully.

“I know, because you talk to me. You tell me your weird stories, so I know you’re smarter than you look. But have you talked to your father like that? Does he know about all those crazy and brilliant things you come up with?” A light shone in the curly-haired boy’s eyes and the Canadian felt happy with himself, for putting that light there.

“He’s my father! He’s been with me for twenty-one years. I thought he knew, by now.” Chanyeol contemplated.

“Unless you explain it to him, he’ll never figure it out. He’s a parent not a psychic.” The blonde chuckled a little at the other’s surprised face.

“I hadn’t thought about that!” The boy exclaimed, stunned.

Yet soon his face fell again.

“What will I say to him, though? I’m sure I don’t want to be a businessman, but I haven’t decided what I want to be.” He wrinkled his nose cutely, giving Kris the stupid need to bend over and kiss his thin and perfect lips, just to make them stop pouting.

“Well, the best way to find out is to look into everything.” The blonde smiled at a sudden idea that had popped into his head.

“What do you mean?” Chanyeol questioned.

“You should check out many different jobs, see what people do in every workplace and then make up your mind.” Wu Fan proposed. “It will also help you realized that job isn’t just a game we play to have fun. It is something we do to survive.” He added on afterthought.

“Hm. I like games, though.” Chanyeol nagged a little but soon he had agreed to the Canadian’s idea.

“Ok. I’ll do it.” He clapped his hands excitedly. “Where do we start?”

“I don’t remember volunteering to be your ‘work guide’.” Kris smirked.

“It was your idea! You have to show me, Duizhang! Besides, you look like the sort of person who has worked at a lot places.” It was the Korean’s failed attempt at flattery and surely enough, the blonde saw right through it.

Still he decided to play along.

“Ok.” He agreed. “I’ll take you to my previous workplaces, as soon as you’re feeling better.”

Chanyeol beamed at him, settling more comfortably on Wu Fan’s bed, ready to fall back into sleep. And the Canadian thought it was okay. That he was used to the boy charms and could handle it for a while longer, without his heart bursting out of his ribcage.



 

 A/N: TA-DAH! New chapter up and it didn't even take a week!

Anyway, Things are getting fluffier, right?

Are you guys having fun with it?

Leave a comment and tell me all about it!

Kisses!