9

One Way Ticket To Forever

Hyun Joong couldn't believe what he heard. All this news Martin shared made Hyun Joong very anxious and wanted to verify it himself. He felt he was betrayed that Maia never told him anything. He felt lost. He felt a surge of mixed emotions inside him. What if Hye Jung knew about this, what would she do? Will this end their relationship? What about Maia?

"What about Maia?" Hyun Joong thought.

 He had a scheduled lunch date with important people at noon but he didn't want to attend. All that's in his mind right now was to go to Maia and confront her. Martin gave him her address and already asked directions to get to her. During lunch, his manager noticed that Hyun Joong wasn't at ease and kept looking at his watch. He signaled him to follow him to the men's room as Hyun Joong politely excused himself from the table.

"What's going on? You kept on looking at your watch. It's just 2pm. I know it’s a bit late for lunch but we have to have this courtesy call. Do you have any other appointment?" his manager asked

"Nah" It's just too boring sitting there with those people. I'd rather take a rest before our flight tonight. I haven't got any sleep last night and my headache's killing me" Hyun Joong lied.

"Lunch is almost over so you return to the table and excuse yourself properly, okay? Take a rest for the rest of the day" As  his manager tapped him on his shoulder.

"Okay, He has fallen into my plan", Hyun Joong was pleased with himself. He already talked with his bodyguard and driver to drive him to Maia's place and strictly instructed them not to tell anyone. He told them to wait for him as he will just pay someone a visit and won't take long. He then rushed into his hotel room, changed his clothes to jeans and shirt and put on a beanie hat to cover up his blonde hair and put on his spectacles. He looked himself at the mirror one last time to check on his disguise. He hopes no one recognize him as he waited for a couple more minutes before sneaking out of his room.

It was about 3:30 pm when they arrived at Maia's address. He couldn't believe that traffic was so bad this time of the day. The house wasn't that big but had a charming front yard. It had a lawn and noticed some kid's toys scattered on the grass... He proceeded cautiously careful not to step onto one of the toys.  He knocked on the door. An ahjumma who was dressed in shorts and tank top shirt opened the door and asked

 "Sino po sila?" (May I know who you are?)

Hyun Joong couldn't understand what the lady was saying and politely said

"Sorry, English only please. Im looking for Maia. Is she here?"

           

"Oh, and you are?"

"I'm one of her friends. I'm here on a tour and wanted to visit her before my flight tonight" HYun Joong told the ahjumma.

"She's still at work but will be home around 4 or 5pm. If you want you can wait for her. Come in"

"Thank you. I think I’ll wait for her" as Hyun Joong entered the house.

She told him to sit down and watch tv while waiting for her. Hyun Joong smiled at the lady and said thank you.

Hyun Joong heard a toddler crying while the lady went upstairs and came back down with the child in her hands. He thought, this must be her! He took a closer look and noticed this child was familiar and realized it was the kid Martin was carrying during the high-five event.

"She's beautiful" HYun Joong remarked. "How old is she?"

"Oh, she's 19 months old."

"She's really very beautiful" Hyun Joong said again as he admired the child's appearance. She was healthy. Her skin was fair and had long black hair that was tied to a ponytail. Even when the child was crying, Hyun Joong thought that she had his eyes...exactly like his....

 

"Yes, I heard her father is a foreigner so she must take the side of her father. But Maia is beautiful too. This child got good genes" the old lady remarked as she danced the child to stop from crying while trying to prepare some snack.

"Let me help you with her. C'mon, give her to me" Hyun Joong insisted.

The lady hesitated but Hyun Joong insisted and said that kids love him and he'd like to play with her to kill time until Maia arrives.

 "What's her name?"

 "Raphaelle, but we call her ELy"

"Oh! It's the same as my Christian name" Hyun Joong said as he started talking to Ely, who in turn, stopped from crying and just stared at Hyun Joong.

 He couldn't believe this child was his. He felt happy meeting her for the first time and nervous about what Maia might say to him. After some time, Hyun Joong and Ely were both laughing as Hyung Joong used his animated voice to talk with his daughter. He fell in love with her instantly.

"She likes you" the lady said smiling as the doorbell rang. "Must be Maia"

Maia entered the house and stopped on her tracks as she saw Ely seated on Hyun Joong's lap and both were laughing. Her heart raced and didn't know how to approach Hyun Joong.

"You're here" She said aloud enough to distract the two. HYun Joong looked up and looked startled as he stood up abruptly while still carrying Ely.

 "Uh yes. Nice to see you" he said. Maia still looked beautiful even on her nurse's uniform, he thought. He noticed her hair grew long and tied it back for a very neat look. His heartbeat started beating faster and louder at the sight of her but commanded to calm himself down.

Maia stared at Hyun Joong who looked so dashingly handsome in his disguise. She didn't know what he was thinking as he stared back at her with his poker face.

“So, you’ve met her... Maia said.

Hyun Joong just nodded and finally said quietly "We have to talk".

Maia had her nanny run an errand to the nearby grocery store so that the two could talk.

 

"You never told me about Ely" Hyun Joong said his eyes directly on Maia and his face serious. Maia thought he looked upset and was somewhat feeling afraid of Hyun Joong.

"You never kept in touch" Maia answered back. "How in the world was I to tell you anything when I don't even know where to find you. When I don't even know who you are? Maia continued her voice breaking as she kept holding back her tears.

"You should've found a way" Hyun Joong exclaimed stubbornly. "I came here last year and I never heard from you. It's a good thing Martin came yesterday to tell me about this!"

"So you're telling me it's my fault? Maia exclaimed still holding back her tears. "I'm sorry for not telling you then. I'm sorry that I got pregnant. I'm sorry for sleeping with you. Is that what you want to hear?"

Hyun Joong finally broke his stare from Maia and looked down and sighed deeply. He fell silent... Then he slowly lifted his head and looked at her again. This time, Maia noticed a teardrop fell from his eye.

With his voice breaking, "It's nobody's fault this happened. But I'm really sorry for not keeping in touch with you. I wished I should've been there to support you during those times. But I can't turn back the time and undo this". He exclaimed defeated. ”All I can do is make it up to both of you, if you let me."

There was a long silence after that. They stood there facing each other but neither spoke, Maia still holding back her tears and Hyun Joong visibly hurt.

Maia finally broke the deafening silence between them.

 “I won't ask you for anything Hyun Joong. Ely and I have endured for two years without you but I am glad that you've acknowledged Ely'. That is enough for me."

"Now that I know I have a daughter, do you think I won't do anything about it? I want to be a part of her life too. Please don't deny me that."

"Of course. That's your right as her father. You're free to visit her anytime you want"

"I don't have that luxury of time, Maia. If I can buy an hour for a dollar I would do so, so that each day would be 48 hours."

"What do you plan to do then?"

Hyun Joong had no idea what he'll do, but he knows he wants to be beside his daughter. He knows he should be responsible for her.

"Come with me to Korea".

"What?! Are you even thinking right now?" Maia asked as she thought Hyun Joong has gone nuts.

"Come with me to Korea. I'll let someone fix your visas, just let me spend some time with my daughter".

Ely stood up from her play pen and started calling for Hyun Joong

. "Hey! Come!!" she screamed.

 Hyun Joong looked at Ely and approached her.

 "What is it baby?" he asked the little girl. "You want me to carry you?" he asked in his animated voice.

Ely nodded and held up her arms as Hyun Joong reached for her. Ely then said,

"Nem" Hyun Joong couldn't understand her and looked at Maia puzzled...

"She’s asking your name" Maia said as she observed the two look really good together. Ely looked like a female version of Hyun Joong Maia thought.

"Oh! You're asking me my name?" HYun Joong asked baby Ely and replied "Appa. You call me Appa, alright?"

 Maia hearing what he said finally broke down. Hyun Joong noticed that Maia was crying and approached her.

 "She's Omma", pointing to Maia. Ely shook her head and said “no! She’s Mommy!"  

"That's the same baby" Hyun Joong said and kissed her forehead. Maia couldn't believe Hyun Joong was this type of man. He only met Ely awhile ago and he was completely blown away by her. Maia could tell that Hyun Joong was being sincere with his daughter.

 "Mommy, consider what I said and I’ll talk to you again. I'm flying back to Seoul tonight. Give me your cell phone"

 Maia gave her phone and Hyun Joong entered his number.

 "I have to go now or the manager will discover I’m not in the hotel. I'll call you soon" He said as he handed Ely to her. Ely didn't want him to go and started crying and yelling

 "Appa!! Appa!"

"I'll be back baby" he cooed and kissed her forehead again and turned to Maia and kissed her cheek.

"I have to go but don't even think of running away or hiding Ely from me"

"Is that a threat?.

"That's a promise" He said as he walked out the door.