1

One Way Ticket To Forever

It's 3 o’clock in the morning when Maia was woken up by the endless ringing of her cell phone. Though she has been looking forward to this day, it was hard for her to get up since she was really tired the day before. Summer for her meant that she did not have to go to the private school where she works as a school nurse, but she has to teach Taekwondo to kids seven days a week. She adored children, but somehow being with them almost whole of her adult life can become a bit stressful. She needed to get a rest from it all and this is the day she's been waiting for: FREE FROM SCREAMING KIDS FOR A WEEK!

"Hello?" She said sleepily.

"Hey, did you just get up? Our plane leaves in about 2 hours and you are still asleep.. I can't believe you". Faith screamed on the other line.

"Good morning to you too" Maia said half asleep. "Don't worry; you have already packed my luggage haven't you? I only have to bathe and I’ll be ready in a jiffy. By the time you arrive at my house, I’ll be standing by the door waiting for you, that's a promise"

"Okay then, we're on our way there. Better be ready when we get there, coz if you're not, we'll leave you behind!" Faith responded threateningly at Maia.

"Yeah right. Better hang up so I can get ready" Maia said irritated with her friend's nagging.

Faith and Maia have been friends for 10 years now. They met at a common friend's birthday party. They had quite the same personalities and had similar interests and hobbies. They are friends long enough that Faith's older brother joked them once that he couldn't tell them apart.  Of course, it wasn't true, Maia thought.  Though they both had similar hair styles and almond shaped eyes, Faith was petite while Maia was taller by 6 inches. Faith was also a lot more popular with men. She has that air of elegance and femininity that drove men to her while Maia, though also popular with men, most wanted her more as their buddy.

Maia got up still half awake and went straight to the bathroom. She opened the shower and the sudden pour of cold water hitting her head instantly awakened her half-asleep body.

 "Damn, the water's cold!" she complained. She moved aside a bit and let the water flow until lukewarm water finally flowed through the shower. She hurriedly took a bath; blow dried her hair and put on a fitting white t shirt, a pair of navy blue Capri pants and white converse. She grabbed her bag and the luggage prepared by her friend and went to wait at the front door. Sure enough, an SUV pulled over the front of her house and Faith got out from the passenger side door.

"You're all set?" Faith asked as she helped Maia with her bag.

"Yup" Maia replied.

Faith looked at Maia and said suspiciously, "By any chance, did you change the clothes Martin and I packed for you?"

"No", Maia replied. "I still haven't seen what kind of clothes they are, but if you packed anything I couldn't ever wear, I swear I’ll get you both for it"

"Chill, Maia. We’re on a vacation at a beach resort, so you'll have to use beach wear."

"Just what kind of beach wear did you put inside? You know, I can't wear bathing suit" Maia panicked while trying to get hold of her bag and unsuccessfully doing so.

"Hey, stop that! We've no time for this; we should be at the airport by this time. Don't worry best, I’m not that of a meanie, Martin is... you can wear these, you just don't want to...” while tapping the bag and loading it onto the SUV. "We have our mission, don't we? Finding you a hot guy is our top priority and we've got all we need right there...” pointing at the luggage.

 

" I'm just here to rest and have fun. And how can it be a mission when you're leaving me after two days?

"Yes, we'll rest and have fun and find you a hot guy. Aren't you envious of us? Seriously Maia, you should start considering your future. You're not getting any younger. It's been two years since you broke up with Lucas. It’s time you start dating again. And seriously, you managed to stay dormant all this time?

"By dormant, you mean..... And hey, I've dated guys after Lucas and I broke up."

"Yeah right. You were a total to John. Poor him, you didn’t even finish dinner. You just bailed out on him; to think you ordered the most expensive dishes on the menu!” Both Maia and Faith laughed.

“ I know you know what I meant when I said DORMANT" Faith exclaimed as she eyed Maia mischievously.

“..Because those guys and I were not meant to be. Just so you know, I am not that dormant as you believe me to be"

“... Really??? Who's the guy? Do I know him?? Is he handsome? C'mon, why haven’t you told me about this? MAIA!!!" Faith screamed as she chased her, held onto her shoulders yanked her so that Maia was facing her and shook her violently. "Details, now!"

"Ouch! The more I’m not telling you anything!" as Maia zipped her lips together folded her arms and turned her face away from Faith, “My lips are sealed" she said as the SUV started backing up.

This was Maia. But somehow, at this age, she has to change, she's told herself. She didn't want to play until she gets old and lonely.  But then again, she didn't want to experience another break up, heartache, and years of coping from it.