10

One Way Ticket To Forever

Hyun Joong kept his promise and kept in touch with Maia. He was so busy with his idol life but he never forgot to call whether he was overseas or in Korea. He especially loves to talk to his daughter and would request for Maia to take pictures for him to keep. But Hyun Joong was still being careful about it since he still has not mentioned it to Hye Jung. He felt he was cheating on her but he swore to himself he will not abandon his daughter. He won't be that kind of father. For several months it bothered him and stressed him all the more.

 

Maia disliked the idea of going to Seoul because it would cause a big scandal if they/Ely were found out and would seriously hurt Hyun Joong's career but he was persistent and took care of everything. ”This is all for Ely" she said. "Yes, all for Ely" Hyun Joong agreed.

 

Upon arrival, Maia and Ely were transported to their temporary apartment. It was in Sangdo-dong, Seoul. The apartment was spacious for the two of them. There were 2 bedrooms adjacent to each other, had a small kitchen and a spacious living room. It had elegant furnitures and it had a spectacular view of the city.  Maia thought the rent there was expensive and would've preferred a smaller one but the man who fetched them said that the rent has already been paid in full. Maia thanked the man and settled in the apartment. She was exhausted as she finished unpacking.

 

During their first month, Hyun Joong visited as often as he could. They were civil with each other as Hyun Joong clearly pointed out that he was doing it for her daughter and nothing more. Though it was difficult for Maia, she understood it well and kept distant whenever Hyun Joong was visiting. However, she prepared meals and saw to it that everything was smooth running when he was there.

Hyun Joong really loved visiting his daughter and would love to spend nights with her but he couldn’t since Hye Jung started being suspicious with him. She accused him once that he was cheating and it escalated somehow to the point of breakup...

By the second month, Hyun Joong spent little time with them as he became very busy with the making and releasing of his second mini album. But saw to it that he would spend his free time with Ely.

Hyun Joong and Maia became friendlier with each other, which was a big development from last month's awkwardness. This time, he could crack jokes with Maia and somehow even anticipated her weird cooking. She couldn't cook that well as compared to Hye Jung but he was amused that he looked forward to eating her home cooked meals. Ely has also gotten used to her father's presence and sometimes looked for him when he hasn't visited.

Whenever he felt stressed and worn out from work and his girlfriend, he would come to Ely and spend his time there. The mere sight of his Ely wiped away all his worries. With her he was happy, comfortable and contented.

 

He still wasn't ready to tell Hye Jung about Ely but thought he should do so one of these days. He and Hye Jung were still not speaking after their big fight and he wanted to apologize to her and explain himself.

 He still wasn't ready to lose her but something deep inside him told him otherwise. He ignored that feeling and decided to write  Marry You/Marry Me and dedicate it to Hye Jung in the hope that she will understand his true feelings for her. He wasn't sure if she'd accept it because the last time she said her career comes first or something to that effect. Still, he thought he should do it.

After finishing his proposal song, he flipped the pages of his notebook and found "Ü" and smiled to himself. It was a song he wrote for his daughter. He knew his daughter was too young to understand it but felt inspired and wrote everything he made her feel. He didn't want to release it or make a music video for it because he wanted that to be a special song that only he and his daughter shared.  He thought that with these 2 songs, his troubles will somehow go away... or at least he thought he did.

 

One day, Hyun Joong got drunk as his agency and his team celebrated the success of his album and him winning the style icon award.  He instructed the driver that he be driven to Maia's place. Unbeknown to his knowledge, his car was being followed by Hye Jung. Someone called her that Hyun Joong and some friends and executives were out drinking and was told to go to that place and drive him home so he won't be in any danger. Hye Jung was worried for Hyun Joong because whenever he got too drunk, he just slept anywhere.

"Is that Joongie they're dragging inside the car? Aw, this guy really loses himself to alcohol" Hye Joong said in frustration as she followed the car Hyun Joong was on.

"Now, where are they taking you?" she wondered as the car turned left, different from the way to his house. The car stopped in front of an apartment building as the man driving the car went over to Hyun Joong's side and helped him out. Hye jung's heart was racing as she thought about her suspicion.

"Please don't let it be true.." she prayed.

She silently followed the two men and she stopped in her tracks, her blood drained from her face and her heart raced rapidly. The driver knocked at a door and she saw a woman open it and let Hyun Joong inside.  Hye Jung couldn't believe her eyes. All this while, she thought Hyun Joong was sincere but all this time Hyun was deceiving her. She wanted to walk right in there and confront them. She wanted to break his face in anger.

 

Maia opened the door for him and was worried that he came home in such a condition.

 "You didn't drive here yourself did you? Why'd you let him drive you here?" She asked him.

“Good evening to you too." Hyun Joong said. "...and I didn't drive. I hired him to drive me and he drove here because it's nearer than drive all the way to my house. Does that answer all your questions?" Hyun Joong said as he tried his hardest to keep his balance.

 "I just drank a couple of bottles of soju like I usually do but I got really dizzy this time. I swear I’m not drinking another for the rest of my life" he continued on.

"issh, I’m just wondering how many times have you said that line? Were you able to keep it?" Maia asked him as she led Hyun Joong to the sofa.

His speech was a little slurred from the alcohol but tried conversing with Maia

. "I tried hard to tell myself not to drink but I get really envious when my friends are drinking and I’m not, so I postpone my promise hehehe" he chuckled.

"Wait here okay, I’ll get you coffee."

"I'm ok .I'm not that drunk. At least I still know what I'm talking about. I’m Just dizzy and sleepy." He tried standing up and aimed to walk to the bathroom.

 "Hey! Where are you going?" Maia asked as she rushed to assist Hyun Joong.

"I'll wash my face before I sleep"

"C'mon. Let's go inside the room. Wait for me there". She stood up and put Hyun Joong's arm around her shoulders and she put her arm around his waist as they headed to the bedroom.

The feel of her arms around him run chills up his spine. "What are you doing to me?" he said to himself as he tried hard to ignore that feeling.

"Ely's sleeping?" he asked a little too loud.

"Yeah. So don't talk too loud or else you'll wake her up" Maia helped Hyun Joong on the bed, removed his shirt and headed for the bathroom. She came out with a basin and face towel on her hand. She cleaned Hyun Joong's face and torso with the towel and brought out fresh clothes for him to wear.

 "Remove your pants and change into this"

Hyun Joong struggled with his jeans and muttered to himself as he was in a battle with his pants.

 "Damn this pants they're letting me wear, I can't even remove it, aishhh! Whoever invented these skinny jeans!?"

 Finally, after some minutes of struggling, he freed himself of his pants. Maia smiled to herself since it was fun seeing him drunk.

 "What are you laughing at?" he muttered.

"You look funny battling with your pants."

Hyun Joong snickered at Maia. Maia retrieved his pants and gave him his clothes. "Here, wear these"

"But I’m okay like this" he protested.  He was only wearing his boxers.

 "It's November! It’s cold and you're almost !"

"We have heater. It’s hot and it's uncomfortable"

"Suit yourself" Maia said as she headed to the other room.

"Maia.."

"Yeah"

"Come sit here first."

 "What now, go to sleep" Maia complained as she stood from the bed.

Hyun Joong reached for her hand and pulled her to sit beside him. He held her tightly not wanting to let her go. "Thank you", he whispered.

"For what...?" she asked innocently.

"For letting me be with Ely ".

"Just so you know, I didn't agree to this for you, but for Ely."

"I know, but still, thank you”. He held her hand as he supported himself.

 Now with uncontrollable urge to kiss her, he drew his face closer to her and was about to kiss her when they heard a loud banging of the door.  Both of them were startled...

 "What the....." Maia exclaimed as she stood up and rushed out of the room. Outside of the room was a lady probably, as old as her, visibly mad and had tears falling down her cheeks. It was Hye Jung.

"Hyun Joong!! Where are you? Come out!!! She screamed.

Maia couldn't move but mustered up all her courage and started to talk to the lady,

 "Excuse me, who….whooo are you?" she stuttered.

Hye Jung glared at her but said nothing as she went straight to the room where Hyun Joong was. Maia followed her from behind.

When Hye Jung saw Hyun Joong's predicament, she hurriedly went over to him and slapped him hard

 "how dare you do this to me!!!" Hye Jung cried from anger. “Were you lying all this time you were trying to convince me to let everyone know about us?!?" As she now started hitting HYun Joong with her bare fist.  Hyun Joong stood there his left hand still holding his PJs and his free hand trying to stop Hye Jung from hitting him.

 "Hye Jung, it's not what you think...”

Maia stood from behind and tried to approach Hye Jung. "Excuse me miss, I think you've got everything wrong.. Hyung Joong and I are....." "

"Stop it! I don't want to hear anything from you!" She shouted at her.

"But..."

"Please Hye Jung listen to her" Hyun Joong pleaded.

Hye Jung then stopped hitting him and composed herself. She glared at Hyun Joong and cleared . I “I have seen enough. You two have a good life together." She turned around and walked out the door. Hyun Joong tried to stop her but Maia stopped him instead.

 "Let me". She said

Maia ran after Hye Jung and caught up with her on the apartment lobby. They were face to face as Hye Jung stared coldly at her and Maia determined to let her listen. "Please just one minute.." she pleaded.

"Hyun Joong and I,.... it's.. not what you're thinking, so please believe me..I think both of you have issues to settle but this isn't the right time to do it. Hyun Joong, he's drunk and you're.. upset. I think it's best if you 2 wait until you clear your heads."

“I think everything's been already settled today" Hye Jung said stubbornly. "So if you don't have anything more to say, get out of my way!" she screamed  as she shoved Maia out of her way.

Maia held up her hands in desperation and walked back inside the apartment. Hyun Joong, now dressed in his pants, was seated on the couch, and stress shown all over his face.

"Hey, go to sleep. You think about everything tomorrow when you're all sobered up" Maia tried calming him down.

Hyun Joong didn't speak, just stared blankly at the blank wall his thoughts drifting and tears welling in his eyes. Maia didn't know what else she should do to comfort him so she sat beside him and started his .

 "It's okay, you'll settle everything tomorrow. I'm sorry for causing all this, I will try to talk to her too to clear you up, so don't worry, okay?"

He looked at her and noticed his Ely also looked like her mother. There was something calming about Maia too, he thought. He continued looking at her and for minutes they sat like so, and somehow Hyun Joong felt a little more at peace, at least for the meantime.

 

During the next few days, Hyun Joong didn't feel like doing anything, he just wanted to talk to Hye Jung and make her understand but couldn’t do anything because of his busy schedule. "Marry Me/Marry You was due for release on the 16th of December and he still wasn't able to record it. He felt he didn't want to record it, but had to. He also didn't visit Ely and felt guilty but thought that his daughter and Maia would understand.

On Dec 13, Hyun Joong and Hye Jung met at a TV station. Hye Jung tried avoiding him but Hyun Joong wanted to settle this once and for all.  "You can't avoid me forever" Hyun Joong said.

"We don't have anything to say to each other. What I saw was enough"

"What you saw...doesn't mean anything. I'm not cheating on you...I never have...I have one confession though. But it doesn't mean everything between us has to change. I love you Hye Jung and I’m prepared to marry you and build a family with you, if you'll still accept me...”

Hye Jung looked at him and said quietly "For now, I don't want to hear anything about marriage and family. I'm really busy, so if you'll excuse me..?

"Maia..." Hyun Joong said reluctantly..."Maia and I... we have a  ...daughter..." he said as he looked at his girlfriend for her reaction.

Hye Jung couldn't believe what she heard. Her eyes got bigger with surprise and questioned Hyun Joong, "Huh? Did I hear you correctly?"