19

One Way Ticket To Forever

 

Maia went to work the following day. As usual, Hani and Sumi talked about Hyun Joong and Maia started to -in to their conversation.

“You are always blabbing non-stop about Hyun Joong.”

“If you had just seen him, you also would” Sumi replied.

“In fact, I have” Maia said a-matter-of-factly.

Sumi raised an eyebrow and looked at her skeptically.

”Of course you have. In your dreams, maybe.” Then Hani and Sumi both laughed.

“Don’t worry Maia, in my dreams he was my husband.” Hani jokingly said.

“It’s okay that you don’t believe me. In due time you will.” Maia answered back not backing down.

“Well, if you have, we need some proof” Sumi and Hani simultaneously said.

Maia pretended to rummage in her bag for proof. Then she smiled wickedly at her friends. “If I show you a proof, what’s my price?”

“We’ll believe you” they exclaimed in unison.

“That’s not much of a price” Maia cried. “Why don’t you treat me to lunch at a fancy restaurant on our day-off” she suggested.

“We have to discuss about it first since we’ll also be paying for ourselves.” Hani objected.

“C’mon. Just once. I won’t order the expensive ones.”

“Okay!”  they both cried.

Maia then scanned the pictures on her cell phone and selected the only photo she had with Kim hyun Joong. It was a photo of them when Hyun Joong introduced her to his family. He had his arms around her in a back hug  smiling sweetly at the camera.

“Ay, this girl, pretending to choose from a lot of photos.” Sumi cried suspiciously at Maia.

“Just wait. I can’t decide what to show you.” She lied.

“There!” she flashed them the picture. Hani and Sumi both scrutinized the photo and both exclaimed, “WOW! Is this even true?! How can you have a backhug from him? Aish! This is photoshopped Maia!!!”

“No it’s not. That was taken when we met his parents for the first time.” She told everything there was to that picture. The more she told, the less they believed. By the end, they didn’t agree with the fancy dinner.

“Because you have made a total fool of us, you should be the one to treat us to dinner” Hani told her. “As a punishment”

“Yes, that’s right” Sumi seconded.

“But I’m telling the truth!” Maia complained but still, neither believed.

“Okay, I’ll treat you to dinner but at my house. I’ll cook for you.”

“That sounds fine with me.” Hani agreed

. “Me too”            

 “Ok it’s settled then. It’s a date”.

 

Hyun Joong kept on thinking about  Maia. He was convinced now was the time he should talk to her and settle things between them. Tomorrow was perfect. He didn’t have any schedules for the rest of the week and he planned on traveling to Busan to talk to her.

He didn’t bring his bodyguard and told him to have his own day-off, His managers were against it but he mentioned that he was finally talking to Maia after almost seven months.

When Hyun Joong arrived in Busan, he checked in at a hotel and decided to pay her a visit during the night.

At around seven pm, he took a bath put on a deep v-neck shirt, tattered black jeans and black rubber shoes. He also wore a baseball cap and thick-rimmed spectacles. He grabbed a black wool jacket and headed out of his room.

The cool night breeze blowing made him shiver in the cool March air. He walked with his hands on his pockets towards Maia's apartment. It wasn’t a fancy-looking apartment but it was pretty decent, he thought. He walked up the stairs and began knocking at her door.

 

The three ladies looked at each other as they weren’t expecting another company.

“Have you invited Dr. Han to join us?” Hani eyed her suspiciously.

 Maia shook her head. “Of course not! He would be the last one I invite. That’s for sure…Must be the landlord. I don’t know who it is. Could you get the door for me?”

Sumi got up and opened the door. She was surprised to see a very tall and handsome man.

“Ah, I came to see Maia. This is her place right?” Hyun Joong asked Sumi.

“Yes. She’s inside. Why don’t you come in?”

“Anio, I’ll wait for her here. It seems she has company.”

“It’s just the three of us. Come on in.”

“I’m ok, really.”

“If you insist. What’s you name again?”

“Hyun. Just tell her it’s Hyun. Thanks.”

Sumi left the door open and called for Maia.

“Maia, it’s for you. He said he wanted to talk to you. It’s Hyun.”

As Maia heard his name, she dropped the spoon she was holding.

“What did you say his name was again?”

“Hyun. Palli! He doesn’t want to come in.”

 Maia rushed to the door and found Hyun Joong leaning against the wall with his hands in his pocket. He glanced and walked up to her.

Maia stopped in her tracks.

“W...WH…What are you doing here?” she asked. “I’m in the middle of something. This is not a good time to be coming here, Hyun.”

“I’ll wait.”

“Uhmmm…I don’t know what time we’ll finish though. Why don’t you come back tomorrow?”

Hyun Joong noticed that she didn’t want to speak with him.

“I’m not here for any trouble, Maia. I just want for us to talk.” He said with a hint of plea in his voice.

“Come back tomorrow Hyun. Where are you staying? I’ll be the one to come to your place.”

Hyun Joong just stared at her his eyes still pleading.

“I won’t stay long. I just want to say something I should’ve said to you a long time ago.”

Maia was confused. “You drove me away. You said you didn’t want to see my face again. Then why show yourself at my doorstep after all these months? I don’t want to go back to that time!” she screamed in her head.

“I…can’t”

 Maia saw frustration in his face and began to worry. She couldn’t tell what he could do next. She tried changing the subject and brightly asked…

“Are you here…for a job?”

“No.”

“Hh…How did you know where I live?”

“I followed you when we met at the grocery.”

Just then Sumi went out and called for them.

“Are you two really going to talk out here? It’s cold.” She yelled.

“We’ll be alright Sumi.” Maia called back. This won’t take long.”

“Ok. I’ll talk to you later.” Maia finally said. She turned her back to leave when Hyun Joong got hold of her wrist.

She looked back at him without saying anything. He held her tightly like he didn’t want to let her go.

“I…I have to go Hyun…”

He then loosened his grip on her wrist and let her go. “Sorry” he said finally.

 

“Who was that?” Hani exclaimed as Maia just entered the house.

“You said, you weren’t in a relationship but it seems you two had something going on.” Sumi winked at her. Oh my God! Two handsome guys trailing Maia! I’m so jealous right now!

Maia shrugged her shoulders.

“It’s someone I know from my past. We haven’t talked for a long time. He wanted to catch up.”

“Then you should have invited him in.”

Maia just shrugged her shoulders again.

The dinner was finished around 10pm. Hani and Sumi soon went home and Maia was left with the after care.

She wished Hyun Joong didn’t show up.”What else could he want from me?”

It was hard for her to forget him. And now that she finally had her life back, she didn’t want to dwell on past hurts. She couldn’t go back to that specific time when she hurt the most. She didn’t know if she’ll bounce back again if he’d return her there.

 

She froze, as she heard a knock on the door. She knew it was him so she pretended not to hear. The knock became louder.

Maia opened the door slightly but kept the door’s chain on.  She was surprised to see Dr. Han.

“Dr. Han! I wasn’t expecting you. How do you know where I live?” Maia asked surprised.

“Are you not going to let me in? It’s freezing.” He exclaimed.

Maia hesitated a bit but let the doctor in.

 

Hyun Joong waited out in the parking lot and was smoking a cigarette when he saw Maia’s friends leave. He was about to walk to her apartment when another figure started going up the stairs.

“Argh. That man!” he exclaimed as he also started towards her apartment. He just didn’t trust him at all.

 

“I brought these!” Dr. Han waved a bottle of champagne and take-out as he entered Maia’s apartment.

“B…but we just finished having dinner. The ladies just left”. Maia said nervously.

“Then let’s have a drink or two.” Dr. Han insisted.

“Uhmm…Dr. Han…”

“Come on Maia. You always rejected my invitations. I can’t take no for an answer this time.” He said as he walked closer to Maia.

Maia was now beginning to panic. She was sure Dr. Han had other things in mind other than just drink. She prepared herself.

Seung Ho stopped in his tracks and instead sat down on the sofa. “Bring out your wine glass will you?”

As soon as Maia brought the glasses, he poured some for the two of them.  He said cheers and drank half the glass. Maia did not touch hers.

Maia however, was caught unaware and glanced away a bit.  When she returned her gaze, Dr. Han was already beside her, his hands around her waist trapping her hands beside her and his face on her neck.

Dr. Han…Please let go of me.” She pleaded but Dr. Han didn’t listen, instead kissed her neck. Maia struggled a bit but he was stronger than her. She thought of how she could let go off him.

“Maia…I know you want me too. Don’t be too hard on both of us. Come on…” he said and he started nibbling on her neck.

Maia was more disgusted with the doctor this time. Her hair stood to its ends in disgust but she let him kiss her. It was the only way to break free she thought.

“Hmmm… Seung Ho. I think you’re right” she said seductively.

Just then, Seung Ho loosened her grip, spun her around and kissed her hungrily. She didn’t kiss back but lifter her leg and started rubbing between his thighs.

“That feels really good” he whispered.

“Oh yeah?” she asked.

“U-huh” he groaned.

“Then let me give you more…” she said. She bought down her leg and with all her might, hit his balls with her thigh hard.

 Seung Ho wailed loud enough for Hyun Joong to hear them outside. Hyun Joong was able to get in as the door wasn’t locked. He saw the man holding his crotch in pain when Maia hit the man on his head with a spinning kick. Dr. Han fell down but got up fast enough to yank Maia’s hair as he pulled her to him. Hyun Joong rushed to their side and started to hit the doctor. The two men were in a brawl in Maia’s apartment. Hyun Joong punched his face as the doctor struggled to defend himself. The doctor refused to go down without a fight. And Hyun Joong never gave him a chance.

“Who the are you!” Seung Ho screamed while trying to struggle in Hyun Joong’s fists.

“That’s none of your ing business!” Hyun Joong exclaimed. “But if you touch her again, I swear I’m going to kill you” Hyun Joong continued.

Maia, who was right at the middle, began screaming “Stop it! Stop it! Hyun Joong, stop it! You’re going to kill him!” she screamed.

Just then, Hyun Joong who kept hitting Seung Ho’s face stopped and stood up. Seung Ho also stood, pain shown all over his face. “I am going to call the police. I won’t let go of it this easy! I’m going to call the police!”

“What nerve you have, Seung Ho.” Maia screamed at him.

“Call the police and let’s see who gets behind bars” Hyun Joong challenged as he wiped the blood trickling down his lip.

“You ing enjoyed it, you ” he swore at Maia.

Hyun Joong got really irritated and went over to him and gave him one last blow to the face. Seung Ho’s face turned to the side and Hyun Joong saw a tooth fly out his mouth.  Seung Ho retreated this time but kept cursing at Hyun Joong and Maia, and how he was going to call the police.

Hyun Joong turned to Maia. “Are you alright?”

“Yes, until you came.”

“What?! I defended you against that , and you thank me like this?”

“I knew what I was doing” Maia said stubbornly. “I didn’t need your help.”

Hyun Joong glared at her. “Oh! I get it. You enjoyed what he did…! Didn’t you?!” he said sarcastically.

“Think what you like to think, Hyun. I don’t have to explain anything to you.”

“Is he your boyfriend?” he continued obviously still annoyed.

“Why are you here?” she snapped at him.

Hyun Joong’s face changed as Maia asked her the question. He tried to speak but he could now feel a throbbing pain below his left eye. Come to think of it, his face hurt like hell, he thought.

He tried to speak again, but he couldn’t stand the pain. He winced painfully and Maia noticed.

She got up, went to her room and gave him first aid. “You should have that x-rayed” she said as she pointed at his jaw. “Just to be sure nothing’s broken.”

“I’m okay” he replied.

The two didn’t speak as she attended to his injuries. She was applying an ice pack to his left eye when Hyun Joong grabbed her hand.

“Keep still, okay. Here drink this. It will lessen the pain and swelling of that eye.”

“Let’s talk.” He said amid the pain.

“Now is not the time. Take a rest.”

 

Hyun Joong must have slept through the night because when he woke up the sun was already up. His face did not hurt as much but his head hurt like hell. He looked around for Maia but was nowhere in sight.  He found a note placed on the dining table.

“Eat this before you leave.”

He ate the breakfast she prepared but had no intention of leaving. He was going to wait for her and talk.

It was almost 10 o’clock when Hyun Joong heard the door open. He was just finished bathing when Maia arrived. He hurriedly put on a shirt and shorts he found on Maia’s closet and went out the room.

“Why are you still here and why are you wearing my clothes?” Maia exclaimed.

“We were going to talk. I want us to talk today.”

“I have to go to work later. Let’s talk some other time.”

“Just five minutes. Just give me five minutes.”

Maia sighed but said nothing. She then faced him from the kitchen. She folded her arms and said: “Okay speak”.

Hyun Joong walked over her, his face devoid of emotions. She couldn’t read what was on his mind or how he was feeling. Maia instinctively stepped back as he grabbed her. She thought he was going to hit her so she flinched in fear.

 “I’m not going to hit you.” He whispered softly.

Instead, Hyun Joong wrapped his hands around her and had her in a tight hug. He buried his face in the crevice between her head and neck.

Maia was surprised at his actions and stayed like that frozen.

“Hyun…” She began to speak.

Maia thought she heard him sob.

“Hyun…” She called again. This time, he sniffed a couple of times and let out a long sigh.

“A…Are…are you alright?” asked Maia still surprised at him. She was positive he was crying.

He still hugged her tightly and was heavily breathing in her ear trying to control his sobbing.

“I’m sorry.” He finally managed to say.

“Y…you don’t have to say sorry. If there was anyone who should say it, it’s me.”

Hyun Joong shook his head with his face still buried in her shoulders. He sobbed continuously and didn’t let go of her.

“I’m sorry for telling it was your fault. I was angry because I didn’t expect to lose Ely that early. Because of that anger, I hurt a lot of people and hurt you the most. I don’t want to be angry anymore. I’m sorry Maia.”

Maia was speechless. She didn’t know how to respond to him. Somehow, she wished for them to reconcile someday but wasn’t expecting he’d make the first move.  She was overwhelmed by the turn of events.

“I am truly sorry too.” That time, Maia held her hands and hugged him back. “…and thank you” she whispered.

Hyun Joong loosened his hug and smiled at Maia but tears still streaked down his cheeks. He held both her cheeks and kissed her lips longingly. It was like all of the kisses they shared but somehow, Hun Joong felt different. Just like a first kiss is different and special; He felt it was a kiss that freed him from all his worries. He never felt like it before. It was so special he doubted if he’ll experience the same feeling again.

Maia felt the same way as him. She thought his kiss made her feel so special and secured that she didn’t want it to end. “Oh my God, what’s this? I thought I was over him. How come I feel this way? I can’t…I’m afraid he’ll hurt me again…What should I do? I’m confused!”

Maia, realizing what she’d done, abruptly withdrew her lips and dropped her hands.

“What’s wrong?” Hyun Joong asked perplexed.

“I…I can’t, Hyun. I’m really happy that we’ve settled everything between us…but, I don’t think I can…I don’t think I’m ready…”

Hyun Joong stared at her more confused.

“Wha…I don’t follow you.”

“I’m not ready for this! I tried so hard to forget you. I tried so freaking hard to forget the feelings I had for you; and then you show up and with just one kiss, I remember everything…I’m afraid Hyun…”

“Hey, Hey! Shhh!” He cooed as he held her shoulders and kissed her hair. “I’ll wait until you’re ready.” He said softly. “I’ll wait until you trust me again…I’ll wait”.