3

One Way Ticket To Forever

Maia was full of confidence while walking towards the Koreans but as she neared them, she began panicking. It never entered her mind that these Koreans spoke very little English if not, no English at all.

 "How can I ask for his name and number when he can’t understand what I’m saying?", she thought.  "Oh my God, how stupid can I be? How will I ask for this Guy's name? Please let him understand English. Please

Hyung Joong kept staring at the lady fast approaching their table but sensed that the lady somewhat hesitated a bit as she began taking smaller and uneasy steps towards their table.

 As soon as she reached their table, she flashed a nervous smile at them and greeted

"Hello".

Hyung Jun and the rest of the guys turned towards her, and Hyung Jun smiled at her brightly, thinking that finally, someone recognized them. What she said next took them all by surprise.

 “Hello, I ...uhrmm...Am sorry for disturbing you guys, but  ...my friends and I are playing a game where I have to get his name and number (pointing at Hyun Joong)".

 Kyu and Baby understood what Maia was saying and Baby blurted out in Korean, "AH, I thought someone has recognized us"

"Sorry, I don't understand Korean".

Jung Min laughed and spoke in English and told Maia not to mind him. Young Saeng talked to Hyun Joong and gestured that she wanted his name and telephone number.

 Ï understood what she said Saengi" Hyun Joong replied. He looked at the lady without batting an eyelash and said nothing.

Maia, frustrated, sighed and looked at Hyun Joong. "I'm on a bet with my friends and I will split the money with you if you give me your name and telephone number. Please?

"I can't just give anyone my phone number. I don't even know who you are."Hyun Joong replied.

“If it’s not much of a bother, I really need your help, please? Maia begged Hyun Joong with her eyes pleading.  

Hyun Joong thought she looked cute. “It would be better if I knew who I am talking to” he said.

“Is it really important for you to know my name?”  Maia said rather apprehensively as she was too embarrassed already.

"Of course, even your phone number would great, just in case you don't give me my share" Hyun Joong said with a little difficulty in English.

Maia tried really hard to understand what Hyun Joong was trying to say.

"I have one problem though; I don't have a phone number. I mean I have a phone number not just a local number. If you like, I can give you his number (pointing at Jung Min). It's the only number we use here in the Philippines"

"Oh.  That would be ok I guess. I'm Maia and you are...?"

"Hyun Joong." He said as he handed her a piece of tissue paper with the phone number written on it.

"My friend has to call the number, uhrmm, just to be sure… I'm really sorry and thank you very much Hyun Joong".

Just as Hyun Joong was about to say something, Maia turned around and hurriedly walked back to their table.

"Aish, I really can't believe them. They really don't know who we are. Hyung, did Boys Over Flowers air in the Philippines?" Hyung Jun asked.

Hyun Joong shrugged his shoulders and replied, “I know that Philippines bought it, I just don't know if It's already airing or not."

Young Saeng butted in saying, “Let’s just pretend that she's pretending not to know him. Just give her the benefit of the doubt."

"I think she sincerely don't know us and I think it's better for us. .Better for him “Jung Min replied pointing to Hyun Joong.

"You guys stop arguing, and better go. If manager hyung discovers that we're still not back by this time, he'll definitely won't let us go wandering on our own again." Kyu warned the other guys. With that, they drank all of what's left in their glasses and Hyun Joong being the eldest of the 5, took care of the bill.

As they were walking back to their hotel, the other 4 guys were walking happily chatting about what happened in the bar earlier and plans for their fishing trip in the morning while Hyun Joong kept his thoughts to himself. He was excited about tomorrow's fishing trip but his thoughts kept on going back to Maia. There was something about her that intrigued him and he was determined to talk to her once more before they go back to Korea. The only problem was, he didn't get her number earlier.

 "I know we'll bump into each other soon enough. This resort is not that big and there aren't a lot of guests. Chill Hyun Joong, we've got plenty of time" Hyun Joong said to himself.

 

 

Back at the bar:

 

"Better pay up fast, Martin" Maia exclaimed as she reached their table. The guys were all laughing and Martin was especially excited to know the Korean guy's name and number. "His name and number first"

 

"His name is Hyun Joong and this is their number" handing Martin the tissue paper.

"Their number?"

 "Well Hyun Joong explained that they only use 1  number and handed this to me" referring to the number written down in the piece of paper. "I guess they're just tourists from Korea. I mean if they're from here or are staying in the Philippines, they'd have their own mobile numbers and could communicate well in English. So Martin, you'd have to catch him before they go back to Korea," Maia teased Martin.

"Ay, how unfortunate.." Martin frowned. I just fell in love and heartbroken at the same time.

"You still have to pay up" Maia demanded.

Martin brought out his wallet and was about to hand the thousand peso bill to Maia when suddenly, his face lit up and brought out his hand phone and started punching numbers. “Before I give your winnings, I'm going to call the number right now and confirm"

Martin was smiling and waiting for the other line. "It’s ringing! He said nervously.

 

"Uh" Jung Min said and brought out the phone from his pocket. "Someone's calling. I think it's for you hyung" passing the phone to Hyun Joong. "Maia said her friends might call right?"

"Or it might be manager hyung about to scold us to get back immediately" Kyu yelled over as he was walking ahead of them.

"Either way, you still have to answer it, Hyun Joong ah." JUng Min said

Hyun Joong took the phone and answered the call.  "Yoboseyo?"

Martin had an excited expression on his face when he heard a man's voice answer the phone in Korean. "Ah, uhm.. Hello, Is this Hyung Joong's number?

LIkewise, Hyun Joong was surprised to hear a man's voice at the other end. “Yeah. Who's on the line please?"

"Oh, I’m one of Maia's friends…the lady who asked for your name and number earlier. I just called to verify."

"Ah, I'm glad you called. Maia forgot to give her number earlier. She owes me something. She's not thinking of running away from the deal, is she?"

"Really? I'm not aware of any deal she made with you but I’ll forward her number after this Mr. Hyun Joong. Thank you for receiving my call."

"Oh, ok Thank you".

"No, thank you Mr Hyun Joong." After ending the call, Martin forwarded Maia's number to Hyun Joong and shrieked loud enough so the other guests in the bar turned their heads to their direction.

 "Waaah!, He's got a manly voice too" Martin said dreamily as he was staring into space with a stupid smile on his face and hugging his cell phone.

"Earth to Martin, earth to Martin", Maia joked and snapped her fingers in front of Martin's dream state face. "Hey, snap out of it, it's not like he's a celebrity or something"

Martin glared at Maia and said, "You seem uninterested but it seems to me you like him too. He mentioned something about you owing him something. Nice move, you get to see him again."

"Owe him something?" Maia questioned. She tried to remember what she owes him but couldn't remember. She shrugged her shoulders and nonchalantly said, "Oh well, guess he'll have to remind me when we bump into each other again" as she winked at Martin who just scorned at her.

 

That night, Maia did not fall asleep quickly despite how tired she was from the travelling and drinking tonight. She remained wide awake until wee hours in the morning. She kept recalling how Hyun Joong and his piercing eyes looked at her and how familiar and handsome his face was. In fact all his friends were handsome as well. This was the first time she saw a bunch of handsome Koreans in the Philippines. There were lots of Koreans in her town and she never saw a strikingly handsome one as this, to think all five of them were.

Hyun Joong on the other hand, was still wide awake too, intrigued by Maia. Her beauty was not striking as compared to Korean ladies he's met and dated, he thought, but something inside of him wanted to see more of her. "Am I crushing on her?