15

One Way Ticket To Forever

The next morning, Hyun Joong called Maia. She was surprised to be receiving a call from him so early in the morning.

            “What’s up?” Maia greeted him sleepily.

            “Uhmmm…Are you still asleep? Sorry to wake you up. I forgot to tell you yesterday but I’ll be going to Japan. Remember the new drama I told you back then? My agency’s agreed to doing it. They want me to travel to Japan to sign the contract and start shooting immediately.

            “Oh! That was sudden.”

            “Yeah. I wasn’t expecting it to be so soon. Anyway, I’ll call as soon as I land. Is Ely still sleeping?”

            “Uhuh.”

            “Maia...”

            “Yes..?”

            “I’ll be in Japan for two months.”

            There was a long pause…Then Maia replied, “That’s quite long”.

            “I know… But I’ll call often, Okay?”

            “Okay. Take care Hyun…And don’t over work yourself...”

            “I gotta go. Kiss Ely for me. I’m sorry I forgot to tell you.”

            “It’s okay, Hyun. Take care. We’ll miss you”.

            “I gotta go. I love you.”

            “I love you too.”

            Hyun Joong then hang up the phone and sighed deeply. He already misses them. He wanted to tell her about his trip last night but just couldn’t because he didn’t want to disappoint the two. A week had just passed since his proposal and he didn’t want to leave just yet. He wouldn’t dare look at Maia and Ely’s faces when he says goodbye. Though it was just for two months, it seemed awfully long for him. He was never separated with Hye Jung or with any of his ex-girlfriends this long and it was somewhat painful for him to leave them somehow.

            He sighed again as he picked up his luggage and went out of his room.

 

Maia just hang up her phone when her phone rang again.

            “Who is it this time?” she said annoyed as she still wasn’t over Hyun Joong’s early morning news. She looked at her phone but it did not register any number.

 “…Must be an overseas call” she thought and shrugged her shoulders as she pressed the receive call button.

            “Hello?”

            “Maia, its Martin. How are you doing?”

            “Hey! What’s up? How come you called so early? I just got off the phone. Is anything wrong?”

            “Uhm, sort of. I’m sorry to be calling this early. I would’ve called later but …” Martin said as he shrugged his shoulders.

            “What’s the bad news, Mart? Don’t tell me you broke up with your boyfriend because if you called just to tell me that..”

            “That’s not it.” Martin cut him off. “I’m going to Singapore.”

            “What’s so bad about going to Singapore?”

            “I’m going there to work. I just signed my contract with the agency. I’ll be there for three years.”

            “Oh! Faith knows about this? When is your flight?”

            “…A month from now. That’s why I called you. I can’t take care of your house anymore.”

            “I got it Martin. You don’t have to feel burdened about the house. I’ll find someone to take care of it or maybe just let it stay empty for awhile. But…why Singapore? I thought you applied for Canada?”

            “I also did. It’s just that I had an earlier reply from Singapore, so I took it and the pay’s good.”

            There was a long pause at the other line.

            “Maia, are you still there?”

            “Uhm, yes. I was just thinking, you’ll soon be in Singapore, Faith’s in the Philippines, and I’m in Korea. We’re so far apart.”

            “Yeah, I was thinking that  too. I say we should have a get together one last time. We haven’t seen you for quite some time now. What do you say? Before I fly off to SG?”

            “Hmm. It’s not a bad idea; though I just recently got a job here too.”

            “Really? But who’ll take care of Ely? He got you a nanny?”

            “That’s my problem though. Hyun Joong doesn’t want me to work and said it’s better to take care of Ely until she gets a little older.”

            “He’s right. You don’t need to find a job.”

            “But I feel I’m living off him. I want to have my own earnings too.”

            “It’s not gonna be like that forever, you know. For now, I think it’s best to trust him… So, think about what I said and the get together, ok? Give me a call once you’ve decided”

            “Ok.”

            “Ok. Gotta go. Bye!”

            “Bye!” as Maia hang up.

 

The following week, she did not go to work as planned. The sudden news from Hyun Joong leaving for Japan all spoiled her plans of working. She didn’t have anybody to take care of Ely while working so she gave up that. But she was bored with nothing to do in the house with Hyun Joong away. It was only her and Ely.

            “Maybe Ely and I could use some traveling”, she thought.  “It’s been eight months since we’ve been to the Philippines…And I can contact some relatives willing to take care of the house while I’m away, then decide what to do with it after the wedding. Yeah, that’s right. Hyun Joong won’t mind me traveling for a couple of days.”

With the thought in mind, she went to her room opened her laptop and started looking for cheap flights in the internet.

 

Maia received a call from Hyun Joong as soon as he got to Japan and that was it. It has been two weeks since and she has not still received another call or message from him. Maia texted him a couple of times telling how Ely was doing, and how she never managed to go to work but he never replied.

“You’re too busy to reply?” Maia said a little bit irritated. She texted him one last time and told herself if she doesn’t receive a reply, she won’t text him again for the rest of the month.

“I hate broken promises” she muttered. “Might as well not promise to text or call so I won’t be expecting anything” she continued pissed at Hyun Joong.

 

Hey! How have you been? You’re really busy aren’t you? You never replied to my texts. I just want to tell you, Ely and I will travel to the Philippines and stay there for 2 weeks to take care of some matters. I’ll text you again when we get back. Take care of yourself, OK? Miss you”

 

Hyun Joong has just finished shooting a scene and had a couple of minutes rest. He was fumbling with his phone when it vibrated. He received a text from Maia. He quickly read the message and deleted it. He’d have to call her some other time, he thought.  He knew it was unfair to Maia but only his managers knew about her and he wanted to protect her but he also wanted to protect his career especially now that he’s doing a drama. He thought that it was best for them both as the scene last night was still fresh in his mind.

 

flashback

            “Hyun Joong.” One of his managers called him. “President has come to Japan to personally congratulate you for your work.”

            “Oh really? But we still are on the beginning of shooting the drama. Isn’t it a bit early to congratulate me?”

            “You’ll know why later. He invited us for dinner along with Jung Yoo MI and her manager. So get ready, okay?”

            “Okay, I will.”

 

            The CEO was already there waiting for him. As soon as he reached their table, he bowed at the president and then to the others who were also waiting for him to arrive.

            “Sorry, I’m late.”

            “We’re in no hurry, Hyun Joong” Bae Yong Joon said smiling at him. “Have a seat. We’ve all been waiting for you.

“As you know, your drama has been gathering much interest from foreign companies and bought the rights for the drama. I’m so glad to inform both of you Hyun Joong and Yoo Mi that we were already able to earn a million dollars this early.”

            After hearing that, all of them clapped and Hyun Joong, most especially was surprised with the unexpected news.

            “So you too, should do your best in the drama, alright?” Bae Yong Joon said as he pointed both to Hyun Joong and Yoo Mi.

            Both artists bowed to the president and promised to do well in the drama.

            The president then motioned everybody to start eating as he picked up his spoon and started with his soup. Everyone was busy congratulating and chatting with each other, even Hyun Joong, who always felt awkward with his leading lady, started conversing and laughing with her.  This was a big development from when they were shooting. In fact, this was the first time he talked to her outside filming.

Bae Yong Joon noticed Hyun Joong and Yoo Mi talking with each other comfortably and decided to make another announcement.

            “Uhrm..” he cleared his throat. “I’ve noticed the undeniable chemistry between Hyun Joong and Yoo Mi and a lot has already been asking me if they were a true couple. So, are you?” he asked his eyes directed at Hyun Joong.

            Hyun Joong smiled nervously at the president and shook his head while saying, “Ah no. It’s my first time meeting Yoo Mi ssi in person.”

            Yoo Mi also smiled at the president and said the same thing.

            “Ahh, it’s such a shame. Why don’t we make you two an official couple then…for the drama…until the drama is over?”

            Hyun Joong couldn’t believe what the president was saying. He never thought a suggestion like that would come from the president’s mouth, especially now that he was trying to find time to tell him about Maia.

            An anxious look came across his face and his managers who knew his secret gave him a concerned look.

            Yoo Mi, on the other hand, smiled and looked at Hyun Joong with questioning eyes. Her manager told that they would seriously consider it as Hyun Joong’s managers only laughed silently at their seats.

            Bae Yong Joong still smiling, exclaimed, “Why the nervous faces? I know the two of you are not dating anybody, then why not make this partnership real? Even only during the drama’s duration…for publicity?

            Hyun Joong did not like what he was hearing at all and decided to speak up to the president.

 “Uhmm, it may be awkward for Lee Yoo Mi to be involved with me even just for publicity because of my daughter.”

“Ahh, yes.” Bae Yong Joon agreed. “I didn’t think of that but…we can handle that easily. I know a lot of press people who could do us a favor”. He gave Yoo Mi an expectant look and asked her, “Will that be okay for you?”

“I guess it won’t hurt” Yoo Mi said softly. “ I mean if it’s only for publicity”.

Hyun Joong looked at her surprised.”But…”

 “It’s settled then!” the president exclaimed as he clapped his hands and winked at Hyun Joong.

            “From now on, you are a couple, OKAY?” Bae Yong Joon then stood up and bid goodbye. “Start being a couple. In the meantime, I’ve got calls to make.”

End of flashback

 

            Just then Yoo Mi approached him from behind which startled him a bit.

            “Hey” Yoo Mi said as she sat beside him. “I’m hungry. Do you want something to eat?”

            “Ah, no, I’m Ok” he said shyly.

            “C’mon. You don’t need to act shy in front of me anymore. I’m your girlfriend already, aren’t I?”

            “About that…” Hyun Joong started. “Don’t you think it’s too sudden, you and I? Can we just start being close first?”

            “What’s so wrong with me being your girlfriend and a close friend? It’s not even true so just go along.”

Hyun Joong just stared at her straightforwardness.

“Consider this my act to be closer to you, ok?” She said confidently as she turned her back and walked away. “Oh! What is it that you want to eat again?” she yelled looking back at him. Hyun Joong waved his hand gesturing he didn’t like to eat.

“Sushi, it is!” Yoo Mi shouted back and flashed a wide smile at him.

“This is going to be problem” Hyun Joong thought aloud as he started staring at his cell phone.

 

 

“Ahh! Really your father can be annoying sometimes” Maia exclaimed as she was feeding Ely.

Ely just stared at her and thought her mother was getting mad at her. Maia noticed Ely’s reaction and quickly comforted her daughter.

“It’s not you baby. I’m just frustrated at your father for not calling or texting for weeks now.”

“Appa?”

“Yes baby” Maia said as she her daughter’s hair. She thought they shouldn’t travel to the Philippines if Hyun Joong didn’t reply to her text to avoid any more misunderstandings just like last time they traveled without telling him.

“But I already texted him. If he doesn’t approve, he should have texted or called by now.” Maia thought. “Is he even okay? YOU ARE KILLING ME, REALLY!” she exclaimed in frustration.