7

One Way Ticket To Forever

Hyun Joong was back in Korea and upon arrival, he only had a day's rest before starting his activities with SS501. They were to record a new album and that meant countless hours practicing the songs, dancing, making videos, photo shoots and promotional activities which left him too tired to think about Maia.

 He barely got enough rest and sleep because of non-stop activities. More so, think about what may have happened to Maia. Hyun Joong thought he would die of exhaustion; good thing, Hye Jung (Hwang Bo) still kept in contact and constantly would bring him food and vitamins. They had a wonderful relationship during their filming of We Got Married and it continued on long after they "parted".  He was somewhat reminded of Maia whenever he'd meet Hye Jung noona though they never were intimate. He didn't know what was going inside noona's head about their relationship, but Hyun Joong considered her as an older sister who likes to care of her dongsaeng. He thought he was lucky to have a friend like Hye Joong but s always warned him that Hye Jung might not see him as a younger brother, so he should be careful of his dealings with her.

But Hyun Joong's feelings for Hye Jung noona gradually changed as the months went by and thereafter confessed to her which was gladly accepted by Hye Jung. For months, they were a happy couple despite hiding their relationship to the public. They could not go public as there were many anti-fans that could hurt Hye Jung and Hyun Joong did not want that.

By 2010, Hyun Joong met the most difficult part of his idol life as he was on the verge of breaking up with his group. He was bashed in so many sites saying that he only cared for himself when in truth and in fact, his decision was because he wanted to take care of his brothers. His agency then refused to sign Kyu so he thought there would be no SS501 without anyone them, He told his agency he'll sign his contract after they let Kyu sign his or else he'll move to another agency. And with that, the rest was history. Hyun Joong switched agencies but promised the fans that SS501 aren't breaking up. Through all these trials, Hye Jung was beside him and never abandoned him. He knew then that he was the woman for her and he was contented.

 

-xxx-

 

Maia never mentioned what happened between her and Hyun Joong. As usual, she taught taekwondo to kids and she spent most of the remainder of summer doing so.

One morning, she woke up not feeling very well. She felt similar on other occasions but today was the worst. She ate cereal for breakfast but had to vomit it 30 minutes after. Being a nurse, she ate crackers instead to thwart her nausea but she didn't feel any better. She called the gym to inform she'll be absent for the rest of the day.  Faith visited her that day and noticed she looked pale.

"Maia, are you sick or anything? You look pale"

"Yeah, my stomach's been ejecting everything I eat"

"You should go see a doctor. I’ll accompany you"

It’s okay. I’ll observe till tomorrow. If this does not subside, I’ll go see a doctor.

"Okay then, good thing I don't have to go to work today. I'll keep you company. What do you want to eat for lunch?"

"Thanks Faith, but I can manage"

"You can't even stand straight. I'll cook us lunch" Faith insisted and went to the kitchen and started rummaging in the fridge.

She decided to cook stir fried chicken. As she sautéed the garlic and onion, Maia complained

"I think you put too much garlic and onion, Faith. The smell is too strong, makes me want to vomit again"

After saying that, she went straight to the cr and started vomiting. Then it suddenly hit her "could it be?"She thought. But it's just one time, how could I be..... No, I think I’m I just overreacting “she reasoned with herself.

She could not shake that feeling though, so after Faith left she got dressed and went to a pharmacy and bought a pregnancy test kit.

 "…Got to be sure “she said.

When she reached home, she counted backwards to her last menstruation and forgot that she was almost 3 weeks delayed.

 As she realized this, she was already positive that she was pregnant.

 “Only one way to confirm this" she said but did not do the test and waited the next morning.

During the night, she kept on thinking about Hyun Joong since she never did it with anybody else and the date they did it pretty matched up .

She thought how stupid could she be that she wasn't able to anticipate that with Hyun Joong.

"Stupid, I’m a nurse for God's sake. How can I be sooo stupid not to use any protection during that night?“ …as she kept hitting her head and telling herself stupid.

She barely had any sleep when she noticed there was daylight.  She then decided to do the test. As soon as she put five drops of her urine in the test kit, there was no denying she was pregnant. Two visible pink lines appeared indicating indeed she was pregnant. She sat on the toilet bowl not able to think about anything.

 "Now what should I do?" She said nervously as her hands were shaking from the pregnancy test result.

She called Faith later and said she's got something to tell. Faith went to her house as soon as she got out from work visibly concerned about her friend. She knew there was something wrong with Maia as her voice on the phone was shaking.

"Hey are you okay? What did you want to tell me?

"ühm, remember the nausea I was feeling yesterday? I know the reason why I was feeling it...”

"Why “Faith asked

"I have a parasite growing inside of me. It eats what I eat and drinks what I drink. It's growing constantly and only after 7-9 months can I get rid of It." she said but Faith wasn't able to grasp what Maia was talking about.

"Have you gone to the doctor? What's it called? Are you gonna be okay" Faith asked worried.

"No I haven’t seen a doctor but I had a test. Turns out the parasite is called mini me"

"What parasite is called mini me" Faith asked confused. "I’ve never heard of it"

"Sometimes you can be too slow, you know to the point that it gets frustrating” Maia complained

"Well. I’m not a nurse so speak to me in ENGLISH! She said annoyed at Maia.

"Faith, I’m pregnant."

"What!!!”

"Who’s the baby daddy?" I didn't know you were dating anybody. Then her face changed, "I know we told you to start dating again, but…getting pregnant is another thing! You’re a nurse for God’s sake!”

 Faith lectured with the I-told-you-so face and voice.

"Seriously, Faith, the last thing I need from you is a lecture. In the first place, you guys were the ones pushing me to date. I got carried away… I don't know what to do!!!" Maia exclaimed with tears b in her eyes.

“You got carried away? I can’t believe I’m lecturing this to a nurse. A NURSE for God’s sake! It would’ve been better if he was your boyfriend…But some random guy…REALLY!?! Wait first things first. Do you even know whose it is?

Maia nodded.

"Don’t you think you should let him know about it? I mean he's got to know"

"The thing is, I don't know where he is"

"What?! You slept with someone you don't even know, not even his contact number? I'm really very disappointed in you Maia."

"I know him Faith, I just don’t know where he is now!"

"Hey, be strong okay? We’ll be here to support you. Don’t even think of aborting the baby. I know it will be difficult along the way, but you are a strong person, and you'll get through this. We won't abandon you, Maia" Faith reassured her as she went over to her side and her hair.

"Thanks. That was what I needed to hear. I just don't know how I’ll be able to do this alone" Faith exclaimed as tears started falling. 

"Hey, cheer up. It’s not good for the baby that you're sad and crying. Why don't we watch tv. Ok?" Faith suggested as Maia nodded in agreement feeling lucky to have Faith as her friend.

Faith the tv and flipped the channel when something familiar caught their eyes. It was a preview of a Korean drama to be aired at a local channel and one of the lead characters sure seemed familiar. Then the voice over on the preview began announcing the names of the lead characters, and they both looked at each other, shock visibly shown on their faces as Hyun Joong's face flashed on screen. He was Kim Hyun Joong and the drama was Boys Over Flowers.

"WHAT??!!! They screamed in unison! "No wonder he is so handsome. Who would've known he's a star in Korea" Faith exclaimed in disbelief.

Maia could not believe her eyes either. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. Her heart was beating so fast that she thought she'd die of heart attack. She couldn't believe that her baby's daddy is an actor! "Faith..."She said.

"Ÿeah"

"The baby daddy is that guy" Maia said pointing to the tv

"Huh?' Maia repeated what she said and Faith’s eyes grew big in disbelief    "you're…… ssssaying….. Hyun Joong is… thhe baby daddy?”

Maia nodded.

 "But you never told us you met with him. Did it happen at the resort?"

"We met here in Manila before their trip back to Seoul" Maia confessed. "It was so sudden things just got out of hand…”

"Maia, Maia... what did you get yourself into..."

 

The rest of the months were very difficult for Maia. She informed her situation in the school that she's been working and after learning about it, the principal decided that it was in her best interest and the school's if she would take a few months leave until after she had given birth. It was very sad news for Maia but she understood the school's stand about premarital . She worked at a catholic school and it would be a very bad example to the students/children that she got pregnant before marriage. The Principal said that as employees of a catholic institution, they should be role models to these children and mold them to become better Christians in the future and what she did was something she can't be very proud of. They commended her though about keeping the child despite her very unfavorable situation.

She also took a leave in her taekwondo lessons for obvious reasons. She felt so helpless that her source of living had been suddenly cut. She didn't know what to do but call her sister.

Ever since her mother died more than a year ago, they seldom contacted each other. But on special occasions such as birthdays and Christmases, they'd exchange texts and sometimes a phone call. They were so far apart but she knew in times of trouble, her sister would be there for her.  Her sister has always had an opened mind and could understand what she had done. After talking for hours on the telephone, her sister insisted that she'll provide for her financial needs until she gives birth.

Maia has savings in her bank account that she can use during this time but her sister told her to save it for her child. Her sister said that the money she'll be sending was a small gift from for all the times she's been alone and not having to visit her or their mother when she passed away. Maia was so grateful that she was crying and laughing at the same time while talking to her sister. She felt very fortunate that there were people who she can count on in times like these.

 

After learning that Hyun Joong was some popular celebrity in Korea, Maia started researching about him in the internet. She couldn't believe that once she typed his name in Google, millions of articles popped-up. So she watched his dramas and guestings and learned almost everything about him. She didn't intend in becoming a fan, but the more she learned about him, the more she wanted to know. She even learned a bit of their language since she had nothing to do during the duration of her pregnancy. Faith and Martin was constantly at her side and accompanied her to her monthly check ups. 

It was January 6, 2010, when she delivered a bouncing baby girl and named her Raphaelle.

 

"Whoa!, she looks like her father" Faith exclaimed as she was observing the little angel in Maia's arms. Faith had a fascination for children. She’s been married for 3 months now but she still wasn't able to conceive.

 "May I" she asked Maia as she cuddled the baby in her arms.

Raphael was an adorable little angel. Maia observed her daughter closely and was amused that her baby was like a carbon copy of her dad. She had white skin as her dad, her eyes, nose and even cleft chin resembled Hyun Joong's.

“you’re so lucky to have a very beautiful daughter" Martin joked. "When this little girl grows up, she's gonna be a heartbreaker"

"Of course and very talented like her parents" Maia said proudly. At the back of her mind, her heart ached as she wished Hyun Joong knew he has a daughter and that one day Rapahaelle would meet his father.

"It’s not impossible, baby. The day will come when you are going to meet your dad" she said silently at her daughter as she kissed her forehead while Faith was cuddling Raphaelle.