4

One Way Ticket To Forever

As usual, Hyun Joong's friends had a hard time waking him up. About an hour passed before Hyung Joong finally got out of bed and started preparing himself for the fishing trip.

 "Aish, this dude still sleeps like the dead" Kyu Jong complained. You know how many times we tickled you and didn't budge an inch."

"Sorry to end your fun waking me" Hyun Joong said sarcastically.

"Uh, oh, someone's not in the mood today. How can you not be in the mood when we're fishing? You love fishing. C'mon man, lighten up!" Yong Saeng said.

"How can you be in a good mood when I get to have ice cubes inside my shirt and boxers?"

"Coz we know that's the only way you'll wake up” their manager replied. "Aish, enough of that, get ready or your blue marlins will leave you for another fisherman!

"Arasso!"

 

Samantha was already awake and drinking coffee when Maia got up while Martin was still dozing off. Samantha, Maia and Martin were roommates while Faith and Alex, and Liza and Butch each had different rooms. The couples and Samantha included, had to go back to Manila in the afternoon since they have work on Monday. Only Martin and Maia could spare another day at the resort. Maia still had five free days ahead of her and thought she'd like to spend 3more days at the resort.

There was a knock at the door. Maia opened it and saw Faith wearing a green tunic on top of her bikini greeted at their door.

 "What are you guys still doing here? C'mon it's time to play in the ocean" she shrieked excitedly.

"Eat breakfast first Darling" Maia told Faith while Maia started rummaging through her luggage for a decent swim wear. "Faith! Did you pack me just bikinis? I said I can't wear them!"

"Why so panicky? You can cover them with a tunic like mine. I'm sure I packed a real cool one for you"

But I have to remove it if I go in the water!"

"Duh!"

"How can I enjoy myself when I feel so conscious of what I’m wearing???"

Samantha interrupted the panicking Maia. “Don’t worry too much Maia. You look good in them"

"Yes, that was what I was saying. You got the figure and the height girl, better flaunt it" Faith almost shrieked trying to convince Maia to wear the bikini.

"Oh why, did I trust you with the packing? WHY??" Maia said frustrated.

"You pretend to dislike what I pack for you but I know deep inside you're thankful" Faith said as she went over to Maia's luggage and looked for the Navy blue bikini and a white Billabong Women’s Sayulita Tunic Top. "Here try this on. Your tunic has a retro look just the way you like it, see?"

She continued rummaging through Maia's luggage and brought out a long dress.

 "Or you could use this on top of your bikini" she said while looking at the Khaki colored maxi dress. "Which do you prefer?" she asked with her eyes twinkling and mischievous smile.

"I'll go with the dress" Maia decided.

"Dress it is" Faith said with a triumphant smile. "What would you do without me?"

I’d be more popular with the guys hahaha"  Maia answered back as she headed to the bathroom to put on her ensemble.

 

"Ah, I can't believe we're going home already. I'm just barely enjoying myself. This vacation is too short!" Faith exclaimed.

They were all set to go home. It was almost 5pm then. Except for Maia and Martin, all of them were going home already because of work the next morning. 

"Are you sure you'll be staying here for 3 more days? Will you be alright by yourself? You call me when you're coming home okay?" Faith asked Maia with a worried face.

"Don't think about me. I'll enjoy myself here and when I get too bored, I'll come home right away. Martin's with me till tomorrow. Who knows, I may even join him going home" Maia reassured Faith.

Ok, we'll get going then. Call me if there's any trouble ok?

"Yeah" Maia said as they both kissed each other on the cheek and said their goodbyes.

"By the way, good luck with Hyun Joong. I'm sorry if I won't be here to witness more. Tell me the whole story when you get back"

“There’s no story to tell” Maia remarked. “It’s not like he said for us to meet again”

“Still...Tell me everything that happened to you when you get back”

 "Ok, be safe! BYE"

 

"Hey, speaking of Hyun Joong, have you seen him yet?" asked Martin.

"Nah. I'm not thinking about it. I'll see him when I see him"

"I already miss him Maia."

"Hehe, go after someone who you can be with, Mart. Face it, Hyun Joong and you? Not gonna happen...He's here on vacation. He'll be leaving in a few days, and that'll be the end of your love story…if there is even one..."

"Hey, just because I’m gay doesn't mean I can't have someone like him"

"I didn't say anything about your ual orientation Mart. I was just being practical. You and him or even me and him... impossible. If you like to play though, you can…Just don’t get your hopes up and start falling in love"

"Might be hard, but it CAN happen, Maia. Martin said wistfully. "I'm not even hoping for a relationship but just a moment with him. I can be with him forever with just memories..."

"Huh! You're giving me the creeps! You're too mushy"

"No one's too mushy when in love" Martin said dreamily.

 "How can you say you're in love when you've laid eyes on him for just...what...an hour at the most??”

"Don't you believe in love at first sight?

“No.." Maia said smugly.

 

Hyun Joong had a very tiring day. Of course he enjoyed the fishing trip very much. Though they were not able to catch large blue marlin fishes, they were able to catch whole bunch of other fishes, more than enough to feed all of them for dinner. He was excited to get back to the hotel as he has already planned his night ahead.

After a delicious dinner, he took a bath and put on a white deep v-necked shirt which showed off his sculpted body and a pair of coffee-colored shorts and sandals.

 "I'll go out a bit"

"And where exactly are you going"? Asked one of their managers,

"Just at the lobby and probably stroll along the beach."

"Why don't you ask Young Saeng or any one of the guys to accompany you?"

I don't want to burden them with what I like to do. Maybe they have other things on their mind that they'd want to do, hyung."

"Ok, then bring with you the cell phone so we can contact you."

"Fine. Jung Min, can I borrow our phone for awhile? You don't have plans of going out tonight right?"

"Yeah, we'll just be by the pool, hyung." You have a date with that Maia girl?"

"Anio, i'll just stroll along the beach"

"Why don't you call her to keep you company?"

"I'll think about it.  I'm going".

"Enjoy!"

 "I will!"

 

Hyun Joong thought it may be a good idea to invite her, but he did not want to ask her to go with him plainly. He got to have a reason for seeing her and thought, "That's right, I still haven't gotten my share of the bet. That's enough reason".

As soon as he got along the shore he started dialing the number the guy texted her yesterday.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Maia. This is Hyun Joong."

"Oh hi, you called..? How did you get my number?" Maia asked as she started eyeing for Martin.

"Your  guy-friend gave it to me last night. Uhm, aren't you forgetting something?"

"Eh?"

"The bet last night, you forgot to give me my share"

As hyun Joong mentioned about his share, Maia suddenly remembered that indeed she had forgotten to give him his share and her number.

"Oh, I’m really sorry" Maia apologized. She could feel her cheeks flush with embarrassment. Good thing she was on the phone and not face-to-face with Hyun Joong.

 "I didn't mean to not give it right away. I guess I forgot. It's fortunate then that Martin called you last night. Where can I meet you?"

"I'm on the beach. I'm the only one here, so you won't miss me. I'll wait for you here."

"Ok, I’ll be down in a bit"

 

"Who were you talking to" asked Martin

"Ah, Hyun Joong, I forgot to give him his share last night."

"Share?"

"I won our bet, right? I’m giving him half of it. I told him if I get to know his name and number, I’ll give him half of the bet. Sorry Mart, I didn't want to lose. Maia said apologetically to Martin. "Since, you are dying to have your moment with him, why don't you come with me. Let's meet him together."

"Seriously?" Martin exclaimed.

"Ahuh." She nodded.

"Yey, Thanks Maia. You're such an angel."

 

Hyun Jong was sitting on the white sand when at the back of his eye; he noticed 4 figures lurking from behind.

 "Ah, jinjja, they just won't leave me alone". He pretended not to notice them and continued to wait for Maia.

Maia and Martin reached the beach and Martin noticed right away a lone figure sitting on the beach.

 "That must be Him.

"He's not alone, Mart. His friends are over there" Maia said as she pointed to the direction of Hyun Joong friends. "I think they're spying on him"

"Don't mind them, girl. C'mon let's go!"

 

"Hyun Joong!"

"Oh hey, you're here. You came with your friend"

"Yes, our other friends headed back home this afternoon, and it's just us that's left, so I let him come. Hyun Joong..Martin...Martin...Hyun Joong..."

"Nice to meet you, Martin. You were the one I talked with on the phone last night?"

"Yes, that's me. Nice to meet you" as Martin shook hands with Hyun Joong.

"Martin's so damn obvious. He'll get discovered in no time if he continues to stare at Hyun Joong like that”. Maia pinched Martin a bit as their arms were linked together. Somehow, Martin got the message and looked away.

 "Your friends are here with you?" Martin asked as he pointed the 4 lurking figures at the back trying desperately to hide themselves behind a coconut tree.

Hyun Joong laughed and said, "Yeah, I think they've nothing else to do."

"Yah! We can see you from here, so stop hiding will you?" Hyun Joong shouted.

The moment Hyun Joong shouted, the four figures awkwardly walked towards the three. "Do you think we didn't notice you hiding behind that tree?"

"It was Hyung Jun's idea" Jung Min said and the others nodded in agreement.

"I thought you were all hanging by the pool"

“We were about to, but then Baby saw you here alone and thought we'd watch you instead." Kyu replied smiling.

 Martin was staring at Hyun Joong earlier but when the other four guys appeared, Maia noticed that Martin's attention shifted on them.

"Oh, this is Maia and Martin. They were at the same bar last night. Of course, you know Maia already." Maia and Martin smiled at the other 4 and said hello.

 "These are my brothers.. JUng Min, Kyu Jong, Young Saeng and Hyung Jun. "Well, not real brothers, but you get what I’m saying, right?"

"Of course" Martin said amidst the big grin he was displaying. Maia noticed that Martin got his eyes on Jung Min and smiled to herself. "Last time he said he was in love with Hyun Joong, now his eyes are glued to Jung Min. This guy, really"

"Hey guys, I think Hyun Joong and Maia wants to be alone, why don't we give them some space to talk. I'd really love to get to know you guys better. Don't worry, I'm harmless" Martin excitedly exclaimed.

"It's okay, really" Maia retorted but Hyun Joong said, "Yes, why don't you hang out by the pool and we'll join you guys later. Manager Hyung will worry if he doesn't see anyone of us"

Ok, Ok, we'll go. Jung Min stated. "Nice to meet you again Maia"

"Same here".

 

"Now that that's over with, we'll get down to business."

"Oh yeah, here is your share" as Maia handed him a 500 peso bill.

"Thanks. You know a place where we can get a decent snack for this?" Hyun Joong asked as he was waving the money in his hand.

"That won't be much if you're thinking of drinking alcohol, but it can buy us a decent meal and snack."

"Oh, have you had your dinner already?"

"Yes", Maia answered.

Hyun Joong felt awkward and didn't know what to say next. He instead said something about her dress. "Your dress suits you"

"Thanks, actually my friend chose this for me. I don't really dress this way. She took care of my clothes and she packed these." Maia realized she was blabbing needlessly and apologized to Hyun Joong. He just responded with a nervous laugh.

They found a bar not far away from where they were last night and decided to try it out. They ordered fruit juice and burger with the 500 they had and talked.

 Hyun Joong could not believe that they had so much in common. Language barrier was not a problem because He understood fairly enough. Thanks to the English classes he's been taking in Korea.

Maia could not believe it either. They spent almost three hours talking yet it seemed just awhile ago. After 3 hours, they were completely comfortable with each other.

"It’s getting rather late; we should be heading back to the hotel... I can't believe it's already almost midnight" Maia said as she glanced at her watch. "Won't your friends be worried already?"

"Nah, they know I’m with you and I have the phone. They should've called already. How about you?

"I can take care of myself better than expecting Martin to be my bodyguard... But. Hyun Joong, I had fun tonight ", she said smiling at him.”I can't believe I have so much in common with a foreigner"

Hyun Joong agreed. "But, if you're having so much fun, why do you want it to end prematurely?

He too was enjoying the time with her that he didn't want to end it just yet. He was comfortable being with her, and the fact that she doesn't know who he was, he felt carefree and behaved totally like he would have.

Being a celebrity meant a couple of different things.  He did not like pretending so he was always honest and spoke bluntly about certain things but he still held himself back most of the time because people were always watching...like they were waiting for him to make a wrong move. Good thing, what he'd said and done so far, even times when he was being brutally honest, people understood and somewhat loved him for being so.

What he liked being with Maia was, they were like buddies...Like long lost friends who caught up on each other.

 Yet he also saw her as a lady. He thought she looked pretty and y in her dress and noticed she had fairly large s…

"Hmm, you have a point" Maia said with a feeling of defeat that brought Hyun Joong back from his thoughts.

"But there's always tomorrroooorpppp....Maia couldn't finish her sentence as a long burp finished it for her. She laughed aloud and apologized to Hyun Joong for the embarrassing burp.

 Hyun Joong laughed aloud too and said. “I think we should go back then since you're already full". 

 They walked back to the hotel in silence while they both enjoyed the sea breeze on an April summer's night. They were at the hotel's lobby when Maia said,

 "I'll be going then. Thanks for the drink. Good night" as she waved and turned around for the elevator. 

Hyun Joong likewise waved back at her and headed towards the other side of the hotel, where the suites were located. He walked away smiling to himself. "It would have been a perfect day if it ended better".