Crucial

The Scientist

Alarms were the bane of Baekhyun’s existence; dismal mornings, fluttering eye lids, and husky grunts. Everyday was a relentless battle between lethargy and time (something he never seemed to have enough of).

But today was different. Pure energy pumped through Baekhyun's veins as his eyes opened to meet the horizontal shafts of sunlight emanating inside through yellow blinds. After sitting up straight in his bed, he gazed at the unread book lying on his bedside table.

Hazy memories of camping out at the bookstore flooded his mind. Frantic fans, including him, waited anxiously for the book’s midnight release. It had been terribly uncomfortable, what with the sheer number of bodies packed into the otherwise huge store. But the pain was worth it because Baekhyun left the store with a signed copy of the book. 

He lifted the front cover in excitement to reveal three delicate characters written in jet-black ink: Park Chan Yeol. 

He ran his fingers over the signature in bewilderment and reveled in the realization that the great scientist himself had held the book in his own hands. 

Taking a deep breath, Baekhyun flipped to the first page.

Introductions are hard to write, so dear reader I hope you'll excuse my lack of introduction-writing-skills. Prodigy, genius, brain-man, Korean Einstein, whiz kid, and scholar are just some of the words the media has used to describe me. Flattering? Certainly, but behind these seemingly favorable remarks lie some not-so-nice ones like crazy, lunatic, weird, spazzy, four-eyes and the infamous frizz-twitch (which ironically sounds more like the name of a super-hero rather than an insult of my frizzy hair and tendency to twitch).

Anyway, what I am trying to say (and very ineloquently) is that in the 20 years of my life, I’ve never had a chance to describe myself. I know, I know, why would I talk about myself in an introduction of a book about my discoveries in the amazon? Ridiculous, I know.

But I feel like I should. I think giving you a piece of who I am will inevitably make my work more significant. Why? I'm not sure.

So anyway, let me begin. I am a scientist, and nothing more than that. I'm no god, no genius. I admit I have been blessed with a tremendous brain capacity that exceeds the norm, but it is my love of science that defines me.

And now I am at a loss as to what to say. I suppose there is not as much to me as people think. I'm just a human being that likes exploring the natural world. I don't go out much, I don't have many friends and I don't like broccoli. I try and tone down my enthusiasm for science in front of others but it usually doesn't work and I end up coming off as "spazzy". It doesn't bother me that much, though. Pain is psychological after all. 

​Please enjoy the book and the photos. I took many pictures while I was in the Brazilian rainforest. 

I thank you for reading my research. I hope with all my heart you gain something out of it. 

Sincerely, 

​Park Chanyeol

As soon as Baekhyun finished the last word, his pestering alarm sounded, commanding him to get ready for another day at university. He sighed deeply, and rested the book atop his bedside table before trudging his way to the bathroom. All his energy seemed to have left him.

*            

I've never had a chance to describe myself.

Like a mantra, that sentence continuously haunted Baekhyun's mind throughout the day. Park Chanyeol really hadn't had that chance. In many ways he was just another misrepresented silhouette made by the media. Label upon label upon label.

But isn't that what people were? Label upon label upon label.

After the last class of the day, Baekhyun made his way to Seoul University’s science wing.  Much to the confusion of his classmates, Baekhyun found a deep comfort in using his spare time to conduct experiments in the lab. They were like the icing on the cake of truth, the sweet ingredient that asserted what he already knew. The experiments almost, always pointed to a definite answer and he liked conducting them so much that he had gotten special permission from Dr. Chen to gain 24/7 access to Seoul University's science labs.

As he slipped into the science department, he gripped his backpack tightly and walked with long, confident strides. This was the place he belonged. This was home. 

"Baekhyun, wait up!" a familiar voice called behind him.

"Hey Jongin," he replied, turning around to face his best friend. The younger boy smirked and flipped a stray strand of chocolate hair out of his face.  

Baekhyun had met Jongin about a year ago, during the younger boy's first year at Seoul University. Baekhyun had been assigned as his mentor, and in those first few weeks, the two developed a close friendship despite their differences. Unlike his sunbae, Jongin possessed a flaming confidence that made girls swoon and boys grit their teeth out of jealousy. His peers were forever intimidated by his good looks and indifferent attitude but Baekhyun saw past Jongin's suave, and found a little, nervous-wreck hiding in the body of a Greek god.

The only thing that irked him about Jongin was how good he was at everything. He got the highest grades and didn't put even a speck of effort into his school work. Jongin really was the king of all trades (except maybe love).

"Can you hurry up today?" pleaded the younger boy, as the pair entered the chemistry lab. Baekhyun carefully slipped on overalls and goggles as a wry grin fluttered on his lips.

"Why? Are you that desperate to see my brother?" 

No one would have ever guessed that Kim Jongin was gay. It hadn't shocked Baekhyun when he'd found out, but it had surprised him to discover that he was incredibly taken with Kyungsoo, his baby brother. 

"No! It's just ... Yah! Why do you always have to tease me?!" 

"!" cried Baekhyun, grabbing a  couple of paper towels to wipe up the hydrochloric acid he'd just spilled. "God, Jongin I told you not to distract me when I'm pouring stuff! And for God's sake would you put on some goggles?" he tossed his dongsaeng a pair.

Jongin grimaced as he slipped them on his face. "I'll never get this stupid goggles rule. I mean 'ohmygosh the sodium’s going to blind me!" 

 "How many times are you going to say that?"

Jongin smirked and leaned in to whisper in his hyung's ear, his icy breath tickling the older boy's scalding neck, "The day you stop obsessing over Park Chanyeol." 

"Hey! Someone might overhear and misunderstand."

Jongin snickered and ruffled his hyung's hair. "Genius, if you haven't noticed- we're the only ones in this entire lab."

"Actually Dr. Chen is in his office next door so shut up!" said Baekhyun, pursing his lips. "Plus he told me in class that he has a surprise for me."

"Surprise huh?" said Jongin, raising his eyebrows and tilting his head to one side.

"Kim Jongin! Nice to see you" said Dr. Chen, walking into the lab as if on cue.

 "Good afternoon, Professor." 

Dr. Chen, also known as, Professor C or simply Chen was the head of the science department and one of the most revered teachers at Seoul University. Despite being an average looking man, he possessed a charm and charisma that could disarm the grimmest of people. (There was also a rumor that he sang like a god but that was another story). His usual attire consisted of dark-colored slacks polished with easy care dress shirts ed at the top. He radiated a blasé attitude but it was comedic rather than intimidating.

"Coincidentally, I just finished grading your paper on the nature of electronegative particles,” said the professor with a dry smile.

“And?” gulped Jongin, running a nervous hand through his hair.

“It was, I’m afraid to say… absolutely superb.” Jongin took a breath of relief before Dr. Chen continued, “But it was sloppily written and I mean really, Jongin.  Have you ever heard of a thing called grammar?”

The student shook his head comically and smirked. "Ah come on Prof, sloppy is my trademark writing style."

 Dr. Chen frowned but shrugged in agreement when his eyes landed on Jongin's wrinkled shirt.

"Anyway, Baekhyun! I have some news for you."

"Yes sir?" 

The professor stapled his fingertips together, and beamed, "Yesterday evening, I was contacted by Kris, Park Chanyeol's personal secretary, and he told me Mr. Park was looking for an exceptional third year Chemistry student to intern for him. He asked me for suggestions and your name was the one I immediately suggested. So, starting tomorrow, you'll be attending private sessions with Park Chanyeol at Park Enterprises."

A massive grin appeared on Jongin's face as he watched Baekhyun's jaw drop three stories. 

"Y-you mean the Park Chanyeol? The world-famous scientist?'

"No, of course not! I meant Park Chanyeol the world famous baker." The light in Baekhyun's eyes suddenly vanished. 

"Oh, well maybe Lu Han would be better suit-"

"Of course I meant the scientist you idiot!" shouted Dr.Chen, placing his fingers on his temples in frustration. 

"Oh," said Baekhyun, his face flushing red.

Jongin chuckled and placed his hands on his hips. "Wow....maybe you didn't make the right choice Dr. Chen." 

"Hmm maybe not." he said, winking at Baekhyun to assure him that he was only joking.

"Here are the guidelines of your internship, make sure to read them over," said the professor, handing his student a folder of papers.  "You're going to be representing our school so please act accordingly.  I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that this is a very prestigious opportunity. Do well Mr. Byun.”  His half-moon glasses tipped of his nose and his eyes met Baekhyun’s. "I know how much you admire Dr. Park but I still want to apologize for saying yes on your behalf. I just wanted to ensure that you'd be the one who got the internship and not some other pompous chemistry student."

"Sir, please don't apologi-"

"Yeah doctor, don't apologize at all!" interrupted Jongin. 

Dr. Chen laughed heartily before pushing his glasses further on to his nose, “Well alright I won't apologize. But this will be one of the most important experiences of your life, so treat it with respect."

“I will Professor, thank you so much for this opportunity!'” replied Baekhyun, the corners of his lips spreading into a wide smile as he bowed his head in earnest gratitude.

The doctor had never been one for sentiment but even he couldn’t deny the joy he felt from watching Baekhyun light up from the inside out. The boy’s eyes shimmered like an infinite sun and the tips of his ears turned a bright pink color from the blood rushing to his head. ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Kyobo is basically Korea's Barnes & Nobles. 

I'm sorry that the story is moving so slowly. But you know characterization and all that. It will pick up after Baekhyun meets Chanyeol. Pwomise :3

~electricsherlock