Life Without My Best Friend (Kikwang's Version) Part One

SHOCKED!!!!

[ On the way to Ulsan ]

Kikwang kept quiet in the car as he listen to his music and blast the music. Kikwang closes his eyes, enjoying the songs he'll never forget from Gwangju. All of a sudden, he recalled the letter he wrote to Hyosung, he began regretting immediately, the last part of the lettter at least. Kikwang puts his hands on his face, hiding his embarrassment. Kikwang slept throughout the whole ride until they could reach Ulsan. When they reached a rest area, Ms. Lee went to the gas station to buy snacks for them to munch on, while Mr. Sung pumps gas, Kikwang wakes up, rubbing his eyes.

Kikwang: Are we here already?

He noticed his parents weren't in the car anymore, so he laid his head back again. Mr. Sung then comes in the car, he finished pumping gas.

Mr. Sung: (clears throat) Son...

Kikwang: Yes?

Mr. Sung: Is Hyosung your girlfriend?

Kikwang: (gets up) No... 

Mr. Sung: Do you guys like each other?

Kikwang: N..No..

Mr. Sung: Are you sure? You guys seem close?

Kikwang: We're best friends, that's all.

Mr. Sung: If that's the case, you won't be contacting her at all.

Kikwang: What? Why?

Mr. Sung: You guys aren't even dating, and she's just a friend, you don't need them.

Kikwang: But, we're best friends.

Mr. Sung: Son, you will never contact Hyosung whatsoever, no texting, calling, nothing. Do I make myself clear?

Kikwang ignores him and lays his head back and closes eyes and blast his music again and he puts on his hood. Ms. Lee then comes in the car, she stares at Mr. Sung then at Kikwang.

Ms. Lee: Is he not awake yet?

Mr. Sung: No, dear, I'm afraid he's still sound asleep.

Ms. Lee: Well, that's too bad, I bought his favorite food and junk food.

Mr. Sung: He can eat them later. Just let him rest.

Ms. Lee: But, it'll get cold.

Mr. Sung: It's okay, we'll just eat it.

Ms. Lee: Okay....

Ms. Lee and Mr. Sung ate the food away as they was driving, Kikwang who looked like he was asleep was not asleep, but hurt by his step father's words, no contacting his best friend is like telling the seas not to meet, that was how Kikwang felt. Kikwang began feeling sad, tears slowly went down the sides of his cheeks. They arrived at their new house, Kikwang goes out of the car and grabs only his things and his mother's things from the mover car and their car and puts it in the house. Then he helped with the furniture.

 

 

[ A week later ]

Kikwang and their family got situated in the house and now everything's in place, now Kikwang has to go find a school, but his step father already found one for him.

Mr. Sung: Son, let's go sign you up for school, I've already signed the papers, you just need to go and sign up for classes and I'll take you.

Kikwang just nods, still mad at his father for making him ignore Hyosung, he gets up and changes. His step-father waits in the car for him. Kikwang looks in the mirror, his bags were really low, his eyes were somewhat red, he sighed and then smiled.

Kikwang: I have to smile to be happy or at least look like I'm happy. (smiles bigger)

Ms. Lee knocks at the door, while staring at his son.

Ms. Lee: Son, your father's waiting for you in the car.

Kikwang: Ooh really? I'm coming right now.

Kikwang gathers his supplies and his bookbag and got ready.

Ms. Lee: Son, hwaiting!

Kikwang: Yes, mother.

Ms. Lee gives Kikwang a hug, he really wanted a hug for days now, he finally received a hug. He feels a lot better.

Ms. Lee: Go to school and make lots of friends, okay?

Kikwang: I'll try. Bye.

Kikwang leaves and went to the car. Mr. Sung drove them off, Kikwang sits there quietly, staring straight at the road, while his step father drives.

Mr. Sung: Son, get the papers at the backseat and sign them.

Kikwang gets the paperwork and signs them, after he finished he puts them back in the folder and sits there quietly. The whole car ride to school was quiet, the school was about fifteen minutes away.

Mr. Sung: We're here.

Kikwang gets out of the car, his step father does the same. Kikwang waits for his step father to walk in the building first so he'll follow. They walk inside the building, every students and staffs were in class already, so they just had to go meet with the main Sophomore advisor there. Mr. Sung enters the room full of advisors, he scans the room. Someone at the main desk looks up at him.

Person#1: Hi, how can I help you?

Mr. Sung: Hello, do you know where Ms. Kim is?

Person#1: She's at the right side of the cubby, fourth row.

Mr. Sung: Thanks.

Mr. Sung and Kikwang goes meet the advisor there. Ms. Kim was on the phone, Mr. Sung walks in her cubby and they met eyes and she smiles at him and motioned to wait. Mr. Sung and Kikwang sits down. After waiting for a few minutes, she finally got off the phone.

Ms. Kim: Hi you two! What brings you guys here today?

Mr. Sung: Actually I'm here to enroll my son into school, we just moved not long ago.

Ms. Kim: Ahh~!!! I see! I will help you guys with that! First can you fill these sheets for me?

Mr. Sung: We did already actually.

Mr. Sung gets the folder out of Kikwang's hands and handed over to Ms. Kim.

Ms. Kim: Very nice!

Ms. Kim reads over their info contact and closes the folder and slides it to the side and began asking him.

Ms. Kim: You guys filled in the paperwork really nicely. Now, lemme just get him into the system then I can sign him up for classes!

Mr. Sung: Thank you!

As Ms. Kim puts Kikwang's information in the school system, she began to look at his transcripts and her eyes grew big.

Ms. Kim: Kikwang-ssi, you're a really smart kid, aren't ya?

Kikwang: I only try, Ms. Kim...

Ms. Kim: No, you're really good, dear!

Kikwang: Thanks.

Mr. Sung clears his throat and looks at Kikwang, Kikwang ignores it. Ms. Kim finishes putting Kikwang into the school system and prints out his class schedule for him.

Ms. Kim: Mister Lee Kikwang-ssi, your schedule is here.

Kikwang: Thanks.

Kikwang takes it, he looks over the class, the classes were classes for juniors, Kikwang stares at Ms. Kim.

Kikwang: Ms. Kim, you do know I'm just a sophomore, right?

Ms. Kim: Yes, but I'm afraid you've already took some of our courses that were meant for our Sophomore classes. That's why I decided to just assign you to some Junior courses right now. But next semester you'd be able to take some Sophomore classes.

Kikwang: Okay?

Ms. Kim: Okay, off you go to class! Have fun!

Kikwang: Thank you!

Kikwang and Mr. Sung leaves the cubby and the office, Mr. Sung leaves, Kikwang watches him go.

Kikwang: Bye, "Dad"...

 

That whole day Kikwang didn't focus too much in class, he just continued on with his school days like that everyday. People would give him stares, start whispering about him, and he just didn't care. One night, he decided to go to the nearby convience store near his house for some food since at night, his parents doesn't come home until 10PM. It was currently 7PM, he already done his homework and now off to the store he goes. He enters the convience store, there weren't much people in the store, so he didn't mind coming here so often. He gets a lot of junk food and ramen noodles packs, he goes to the front for registry. The cashier smiles at him, he looked like a mid 60 guy.

Cashier: Son, I've never seen you before, are you from here?

Kikwang: (shakes head) No, I'm actually not from here.

Cashier: Where are you from?

Kikwang: I'm from Gwangju.

Cashier: Ahh~ My son also moved to Gwangju a few years ago, his place was nice.

Kikwang: Ooh......

Cashier: Why'd you move to Ulsan?

Kikwang: I had no choice, my family moved, so I had to too.

Cashier: I see... But son, lemme tell you something, do not tell others you're from Gwangju, other kids will bully you.

Kikwang: Why?

Cashier: People here in Ulsan hate outsiders, but I just don't understand how those people live that way. So be careful when you speak, son.

Kikwang: Okay.. Thanks, sir.

Cashier: That'll be $14.77, now.

Kikwang pays and left the store, he bumps into a shorter girl, the girl stares up at him with fiery eyes.

Kikwang: I'm sorry.

Cashier: Heejin! Don't be rude! Apologize, now!

Heejin: (stares at Kikwang) I'm sorry.

Cashier: What happened, dear? Why are you so mad?

Heejin: I freaken hate school, grandpa! Don't send me back there!

Cashier: Why?

Heejin: Why can't my parents choose somewhere nice for once? Ugh....

Cashier: Heejin, that's the same school your father and I went to as teens, you should---

Heejin: Am I you guys though?

Cashier: Heejin....

Kikwang: You shouldn't speak so rude to your grandpa.

Heejin and the cashier looks at Kikwang who suddenly spoke.

Kikwang: I'm sorry to interrupt, but please, be more respectful to your elders.

Heejin: Who's that? (points at Kikwang) Is he a new worker here?

Kikwang: I'm just a first time customer here, but I couldn't help but overhear how rude you were to your grandpa.

Heejin: Who are you? Why do you even bother with us?

Kikwang: I am your grandpa's customer.

Heejin: Well, get lost!

Cashier: Heejin! Stop being rude! Your behavior is just plain rude now.

Heejin: Grandpa, where's my dad? I'm gonna need to report so many people today, including YOU! (points at Kikwang)

Kikwang: Why?

Heejin: You should be thrown to jail with those jerks at school! Ugh.

Heejin stomps away to the back of the store. The cashier rubs his neck.

Cashier: I'm sorry, son, that's my angry grand-daughter, she always complain about school everyday, but someonee probably pissed her off really bad today.

Kikwang: It's okay. Where does she go to school?

Cashier: Ulsan High School.

Kikwang: That's where I go?

Cashier: Really?

Kikwang: Yes, I just started not too long ago...

Cashier: Oh... What grade are you in?

Kikwang: I am a Sophomore right now.

Cashier: Good! My grand-daughter too!

Kikwang: Oh.... I guess I'll see her around.

Cashier: Yes, maybe....

Kikwang: Don't let her treat you that way though...

Cashier: Yes, I'm just used to her....

Kikwang: Ahh~ I see... Well, I'll get going now. Goodnight.

Kikwang leaves the store and heads home. Kikwang cooks his ramen and sat down at the dining area and looks at the papers on the table.

Kikwang: Hyosung-ah,... Will my step father even let me send you a letter?

Kikwang sighs and goes check for his ramen and eats and just went to bed after eating without doing homework.

 

 

[ The Next Day ]

Kikwang gets up early and goes to school, he continued his day with not communicating with anyone. During lunch, he goes up to the roof and lays on the bench. Kikwang began thinking and he began missing home, mostly Hyosung. Kikwang puts his forearm over his eyes to cover from exposing his tears. His thoughts suddenly were disturbed.

Girl: Why are you crying?

Kikwang gets up as he wipes his face. Kikwang stares at the girl.

Kikwang: I'm not crying!

Girl: I saw your tears, why are you crying?

Kikwang: I'm not! And why are you here? Usually no one's up here, why are you here?

Girl: I come up here sometimes to clear my mind and to escape this ratchet school. Why are you here? You look like you'd be popular and out there.

Kikwang: Ahh~ No, that was me at my old school, but not here.

Girl: What? Are you new too?

Kikwang: (nods) I am, I'm fairly new, are you?

Girl: (nods) Yes. I'm kinda new too! What's your name?

Kikwang: Lee Kikwang... You?

Girl: Ahh~ I'm Yoo Heejin!

Kikwang: Heejin,...? Why does it seem I know this name?

Heejin: Thinking about it... You look very familiar too...

Kikwang looks away, thinking where he has heard the name 'Heejin' from.... He then recalled.

Kikwang: Ooh~! You're the girl from last night! Right?

Heejin: Huh? We met last night? Where?

Kikwang: At your grandfather's store!

Heejin: OOh~!!! You're that guy who kept interfering with our conversation!

Kikwang: I was not. I was clearly just telling you to be good.

Heejin: Well, I had a bad day, okay? I'm usually good to my elders.

Kikwang: Sure you are.

Heejin: I am. You just don't know me. That's all.

Kikwang: (nods) Okay, I believe you probably were just having a bad day then.

Heejin: I am...

It became quiet afterwards...

Kikwang: Oh, why aren't you eating? It's lunchtime.

Heejin: Umm,... I just don't.... Why aren't you eating?

Kikwang: I never eat lunch.

Heejin: Why? Do people bug you for lunch too?

Kikwang: No... I never bring lunch.

Heejin: Oh,... Well, you're lucky, people always bug me for my food so I never get to eat by the end of the day.

Kikwang: You must be so hungry.

Heejin: I am, but I don't bring my lunch anymore. I don't like being bother, so I never bring my lunch these days.

Kikwang: Who bugs you?

Heejin: You wouldn't know.

Kikwang: Come on, tell me!

Heejin: No... I don't want you involved.

Kikwang: Tell me, I'll check it out.

Heejin: No... I don't want you bothered.... So we'll just leave it at that.

Just then, someone barge through the door, it was another girl, she came running to Heejin.

Girl: Heejin unnie! They're looking for us! We have to leave now!

Heejin: Alright... (looks at Kikwang) We have to hide now, so see you around, mister. Don't cry, okay?

Heejin gets up fast and runs with the girl and they left back to school. Kikwang checks the time on his watch, there were fifteen minutes left, so he decides to just take his time back to class. As he walk down the stairs, he saw two guys and two girls around a corner, he didn't bother though. He still listens to what they talk about though.

Guy #1: Why didn't you two bring your lunches? Huh!!?

Girl #1: We're very hungry, ya know? We're starving, you idiots!

Girl #2: You guys made all of us hungry!!! Start bringing your lunches again! Or we won't let you off!

One of the guys noticed Kikwang's presence that was passing by, he calls out Kikwang.

Guy #2: Hey! You! Guy with the black hair!

Kikwang stops his steps and looks back, then around, then points at himself.

Guy #2: Duh! You don't see anything, okay?

Kikwang: Why? What am I supposed to see?

Guy #2: Keep it that way!

Kikwang nods and left to class, he just walked away from bullying, that's all the school are, the school were filled with some snobby students who are stuck up and rude, Kikwang's gotten used to the school. He never bothers anyone with bullying, he doesn't wanna be bothered nor does he wanna see others bullied, but he doesn't get involved either way. The school day ended, he did his usual self, he's out of junk food, he heads to the convience store, to buy more junk. Kikwang buys chips, candy, icecream, and ramen. He goes up to the register.

Cashier: Ooh! It's you again! Hi!

Kikwang: Hello!

Cashier: You're going to be my usual costumer, am I right?

Kikwang: (nods) Most likely. (smiles)

Cashier: Thank you, we're barely getting customers these days.

Kikwang: I'll make sure to be your number one customer then!

Cashier: Ahh~ Thank you!

Kikwang: (looks around then at cashier) Where's your grand-daughter?

Cashier: Ahh~ You mean Heejin? Why? Did you guys meet today?

Kikwang: Yes. We did. Is she home yet?

Cashier: She usually get home late, not sure why, but she always come home during seven or eight, pretty sure school's been keeping her busy.

Kikwang: Ahh~ I see.

Cashier: That'd be $16.26 please.

Kikwang pays and leaves, on his way out, Heejin comes in.

Kikwang: Ooh~! It's you! We were just talking about you!

Heejin: (notices) Ooh~! It's you! Why are you here again?

Kikwang: Came to buy some snacks! I get hungry too, you know?

Heejin: Ahh~ What'd you buy?

Kikwang: Just some junk food and ramen.

Heejin: (shakes head) That's not good! Is that all you eat?

Kikwang: (nods) Yeah, that's all I eat. Why?

Heejin: Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk... Come to my house, I'll cook you a home cooked meal.

Kikwang: Why? I'm fine with just ramen.

Heejin: No, eating ramen all the time is bad, ya know! I'll cook you something good to eat that will make you regret eating ramen so much!

Kikwang: No, I love my ramen!

Heejin: Fine, but eat some home cooked meal too, ask your mother to cook some food for you!

Kikwang: (shakes head) My mother is too busy with her job, I don't want to bother her with cooking, that's too much work.

Heejin: Aww~! What a good son! Tomorrow, I'll bring you lunch and we'll eat it together! Okay?

Kikwang: No, you don't need to...

Heejin: I will! Now walk home safely!

Kikwang: You're so different from yesterday, you know that?

Heejin: I told you I was just in a bad mood...

Kikwang: Are you in a good mood now?

Heejin: I'm content, nothing much...

Kikwang: Well, that's good! I'm going home now, bye!

Kikwang leaves the store and goes home, then he hears Heejin yelling, "I'll bring lunch for sure tomorrow! See you tomorrow at the same place!" Kikwang smiles and nods and goes home.


A/N: Hi viewers/readers, I finally updated! I know! /claps LOL. Anyways, enjoy the update, I was going to make it longer, but I wanted to update you guys and not leave you guys hanging, sorry for keeping you guys waiting for so long, hope everyone enjoys the chapter! Hopefully I can update more this year, Thank you! -adurrrh94<3