Never Let Go

Never Let Go

 

 

 

After talking to Joonmyun, he realized he was right. Because even after the accident, even after he has totally forgotten about Luhan, deep inside his heart, it was still him. It has always been him.  The feeling never really disappeared.

Is it too late to consider telling him that now? How much he actually loves him. How his heart ache when he said he would be leaving.  How he actually thought of him while kissing Joonmyun. How he long for his hug, how he tried avoiding making conversation to him all of this time because he’s too afraid, he’s too stubborn to admit that what he’s feeling is actually love. Love that has always been there knocking at the door of his heart, patiently waiting for him to open up. Is it too late now?

He reached for his phone and dialled Luhan’s number. He listened to it ring. He couldn’t count the rings, but it felt like hundreds. He patiently waited. It rang on and on. He did not even know why he’s calling. Luhan already told him he is already setting him free, that it was his good bye, so why would he even bother answering the call of someone who purposefully broke his heart? But he has to try. And that’s all he could do right at this moment. So he waited, until he finally picks up the phone.

“Luhan,” he started “we need to talk.” He insisted. Where did he get all the courage to demand like that? Probably a call of a heart trying to fix something he’s afraid to even loose again.

He felt utterly disappointed when he heard not of Luhan’s voice, but of his friend, Yixing. “I’m sorry to disappoint you, Minseok, but this is not Luhan. Why did you even call?” he asked bemusedly. As far as he is concerned, the person on the other line, according to Luhan himself, doesn’t even give a damn to him anymore. So why bother?

“I’m looking for Luhan. Is he there? Can I speak to him, please?” he begged. He figured the other might be just beside Yixing and doesn’t feel like talking to him.

“No,” he hissed. “I mean, no, he’s not here. I hope he is, but that of a fiancée of yours...” he paused thinking he might have said something he shouldn’t have. “I mean, ex-fiancée of yours already left without even...” he trailed off “wait, why am I even telling you this? What do you want?”

“Yixing...” he pleaded “Where is he? What do you mean by he left?” he’s getting all fidgety now. What does ‘he left’ supposed to mean?

“I thought you already know? Didn’t he go there to tell you his good bye?” Emphasizing the word “good bye” while silently thinking, and you never even stopped him.

“I... He did. But I thought what he meant about his good bye is staying out of the house and...”

“Well, what he meant, for your information, is not just staying out of you, or your damned house, but staying out of your life for good. And that also includes staying out of this damned country.” Yixing couldn’t stop ranting not because he lost someone who would help him in the studio which is by the way partially true but because really, he thought it wouldn’t even resort to this. How it could all end up like this? He vented everything out now to Minseok and he was not even the least apologetic about it too.  He’s so frustrated. It was way too sudden too. He didn’t even know his friend already booked a flight out of the country as a backup plan just in case he did not succeed getting back the heart of his lover. 

“I’m still nice, you see, because I like you for him. I always do.” Yixing started talking again, this time more calmly. “And I figured you wouldn’t even call if you wouldn’t want to fix it, right?” He didn’t wait for Minseok to reply as he said, “08:30” he said.

“Excuse me?” Minseok is puzzled. “What was that for?”

“Something’s never changed, Minseok. You’re still as slow as before. That’s his flight back to Beijing.” He glanced at his watch. “Oh, you still have an hour and half, if you would hurry---“

Minseok cut Yixing off. “Thank you so much, Yixing. Thank you, thank you.” He said, genuinely grateful.

“Be sure to get him back, you slowpoke” Minseok's already grabbing his coat and keys before Yixing could even finish speaking.

I will. He thought before finally ending the call.

 

 

There were like hundreds of people crossing in front of him as soon as the glass door swished shut behind him. He clutched his coat to his chest. How is he supposed to find Luhan in here? He stepped forward, silently praying he'd find him there, that it wasn't too late. He started trembling. He had a few more minutes before boarding. Luhan could be somewhere. He just needs to find where it is exactly. This is not the time to be losing hope. He wouldn’t go back without him, without fixing this. He wouldn’t hold back. He started running. He didn’t know where his feet would even lead him, but he still keep on running until he is out of breath.

The moment he stopped running is also the moment he heard the operator announcing the final boarding call for passengers with flight to Beijing. He crashed to the floor knowing it’s the end now. He cried even though it wouldn’t help him now. He just cried until there were no more tears to cry. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This time last year, everything was so different.

 

Minseok straightened his tuxedo and fixed his hair in the mirror. If there is one thing he learned from last year's accident, it is to not let someone wait for you, especially in this very important event.

He heard his phone ring and Joonmyun’s name flashed across the screen. He smiled as he answered, “What? Dying to see me already?” he asked cockily.   

“Damn it, Minseok. Where the are you?” he asked furiously.  

“Easy, easy. I didn’t know you can be so verbally hostile.” He chuckled.

“This is no time for jokes, Minseok.” He paused. “Do you, by any chance, have plans of sabotaging this wedding?” he asked suspiciously.

“Of course not, silly! I’m already on my way, okay? So please, stop exaggerating and calm your mind.” He advised.

Joonmyun heaved a sigh of relief. “Good, I mean, great. Don’t you dare be late. Wedding can’t start without you, okay?”

He nodded as if the other would even saw him do that. “Yes, of course.” He answered before ending the phone call.

 

How time flies, Minseok noted. Today's as perfect as that of last year. The weather's exceptionally pleasant too. He just couldn't tell if the setup would even match the beauty from last year's supposed wedding because he didn't even get to see it. He didn’t have the chance. But there’s no point thinking of that now. Today’s supposed to be a happy day. He wouldn’t want to ruin it by trying to remember a sad memory from the past.

He may have not fixed that broken pieces from his past but he was sincerely happy because his best friend, Joonmyun, finally found someone he could love more than he loved him. Someone who would love him back with no conditions or circumstances. Someone who would love him unconditionally.

And today’s his wedding.

Standing beside him awkwardly as his best man for a bonding of a long-lasting love, he couldn’t help but think of ‘what ifs’. What if he didn’t meet an accident, what if he did not have amnesia, what if he didn’t push him away, what if he stayed? What if?   

His mind continued to wander throughout the exchange of vows between the two lovely couple. He did not even realize the ceremony is already finished until he heard the visitors telling wishes to the newly weds.

As they arrived to the reception, he got himself a glass of champagne and positioned himself somewhere excluded to the other visitors. He already fulfilled his duty as Joonmyun’s best man on their wedding so maybe he can now have a quality time all for himself.  

As he took a sip of his champagne, he felt someone seat right next to him, not even asking him and invading his own privacy.  

“Do you mind if I seat here?” he asked, a little bit too late.

“As if I can still do something about it?” he replied irritably without sparing the other man a single glance.

The other chuckled harmoniously. “You haven’t changed, well, except for the fact that you now drink champagne.”

And then it hit him. How could he not recognize it at first? He glanced up at the familiar voice, eyes widening, then replaced by a slowly blossoming look of surprise. “Luhan?” he finally said. He didn’t exactly know what he’s feeling. He felt like crying and overwhelmingly overjoyed all because of the person seated right next to him.

“Long time, huh?” Luhan tried to start a conversation. Minseok just nodded.

“How are you?” he asked.

“Fine.” He replied. “How about you?” he asked back.

“Same, I guess...” he paused “but I miss my daily dose of baozi.” He replied unintelligently which actually made the other look up to him in surprise. “Oh, sorry, I mean baozi as baozi. Mandu? Bun? I’ve always had it for breakfast in China.”

“Oh...” Minseok felt disappointed.

Luhan did not fail to notice it too. “Actually, I’ve missed you too.” He said seriously. And Minseok was taken aback; he didn’t know how to respond.

“I’m sorry...” he started.

Luhan balled his fist. Apologies. He heard a lot of that before. It’s been how many months since the last time they’ve seen each other and the last word he wouldn’t want to hear from Minseok is ‘sorry’.

“You don’t have to.” His voice low but sounded irritable. “I think I should leave.” He informed as he stand up from his seat. Minseok felt alarmed. How many months will it take for them to see each other again? How many encounters chance would give to him? This could probably be the last time so he has to say it at least. Even if the feelings might not be mutual now, he still has to say it.

“Luhan” he grabbed his hand. “Listen to me first...” he started.  “I’m sorry. I’m sorry for saying I’m sorry most of the time. I’m sorry I am such a failure for not remembering you until now. I’m sorry for hurting you so much. I’m sorry for realizing too late. I’m sorry I love you. I’m---”

It was Luhan’s turn to widen his eyes. “What did you just say?”

“I’m sorry?” he replied

“No, no, no... the last part before I cut you out.” He demanded because he’s not sure. He didn’t know if he heard him right.

Minseok smiled at him. “I love you.” He confessed.  “I may have not remembered you, but if I could choose again who to love, I would choose you. I know this might be too late but I still want you to know deep down I know you are the one I love.”

Luhan leaned closer enough so their noses touch, until they could feel their breaths. He cupped his face in his hands and made him meet his gaze. “It’s never too late because you never really left in my heart. I love you too. I always do.” He said before engaging Minseok into a long solemn kiss sealing their unspoken promises to always love each other and to never let go.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: done. please don't hate me. lol thanks for all the comments (both on AF / LJ) i really appreciate it. (you know who you are guise, ilu all) ^_^ Like i said on my previous post, the comments were like my vitamins, they keep me going. :) Thank you so much for actually staying with me until the last chapter. /mushy. LOL idek if people even bother reading this note of mine. XD I hope to see familiar usernames and more when i start writing a new one. hehehe is that too much to ask? :<