Day 20

A Perfect Day For A Love Declaration
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

20 ∞ when ‘everything will be alright’

 

YOONA - - -

The elevator opened with a ‘ping’ as I reached the top floor of Shim Incorporation’s Founder and CEO. I gripped my bag towards me, taking a deep breath as I stepped outside the elevator and into the hallway. A pretty lady dressed in stylish corporate black nodded towards me and I walked towards her. “I’m Im Yoona. I arranged for a meeting with President Shim this morning.” I said, (thankfully) my tone even and clear.

The lady nodded her head once and pressed a number on her phone.  “Yes, a Miss Im Yoona is here, sir.” She announced, taking a short look at me from head to toe. I felt uncomfortable under her gaze but shook it off as she nodded once again and put down the phone. “President Shim will see you in a moment. Please take a seat.”

I sat silently into one of the chairs in front of the lady, and looked around me tentatively. The room was clean and stark white: White tiles, white walls, white chairs. If not for the dark colored ceiling and table where the secretary sat, I would have thought that I was in a mental institution. Not another moment later, a door opened and a pair of men came out. One of them I instantly recognized as Yuri’s father since I had met him before at Yuri’s coming out party. The other man, however, was tall, robust and had a stern face – exactly how I pictured Changmin’s father to look like.

He looked at me as he shook hands with Mr. Kwon, and my hands immediately clenched on my knees. I dared to look back, even though my heart was already drumming in my ears. Calm down, Yoona. I took a deep breath and stood up just as the men started moving towards the elevator.

“President Shim. Mr. Kwon. Good morning.” I greeted, bowing to them.

“Miss Im, it’s nice to see you again,” Mr. Kwon said, bowing as well. Changmin’s father said nothing but bowed as well. Mr. Kwon shook my hand firmly, smiling. “I’ve heard from my wife that the food your service is preparing is perfectly exquisite. I hope I’ll be able to get a sample tonight at the rehearsal dinner.”

I smiled back, bowing once again in thanks. “Thank you for your kind words, sir. I’m sure you’ll be able to eat some tonight.”

“Wonderful,” he nodded, then turned back to President Shim, “Well then, Mr. Shim… after tomorrow’s festivities we’ll finish the merger and join our businesses together. I’ll see you tonight at the dinner.”

“Yes. See you tonight,” Changmin’s father replied, his eyes wandering towards my tense figure for a moment as Mr. Kwon entered the elevator. Once the doors closed, he turned back to me. My hands felt clammy instantly but I held my ground and looked back at him.

He watched me silently for a moment, before turning to his secretary. He motioned at her and she nodded, standing up to walk past us towards another room. He started to walk back towards his office, then stopped halfway to look back at me again. “Miss Im Yoona?”

“Y-yes.” I said, my throat tightening for a split second. He smirked slightly, and nodded his head.

“Come in. We should talk.” With a slight tilt of his head, he motioned towards the office and I followed him. Inside, the room was of a darker color – plain walls, sturdy furniture, a bountiful bookcase and no pictures. Changmin’s father walked towards his window, his hands on his back as he surveyed the view. I stood anxiously a few feet from his desk, waiting for him to speak again.

“So you are Im Yoona.” He started, not turning to look at me (thankfully). “The girl who almost derailed my otherwise perfect son from his future in this company back in University.” He scoffed, shaking his head – taking a few steps back towards his desk to sit on his chair. I held my breath as he finally looked at me again with his dark eyes.

“I am Im Yoona, sir.” I said slowly, straightening my back. I ignored his comment about Changmin’s almost ‘derailment’ and instead continued, “I was your son’s classmates in University, yes.”

“Hmm,” he murmured, motioning for me to sit down. I did on one of the dark chairs in front of his desk, and tuck my legs under the chair.  “And what do I owe the pleasure of your asking for my time?”

I breathed deeply. “I wanted to correct any misunderstandings you might have considered of me and Changmin.”

“And what misunderstandings would those be?” He asked, smirking from the side of his mouth. I could myself shrink into my seat as he continued. “You… are simply an acquaintance as far as I’m concerned. As long as Changmin is marrying to someone of his rank, I won’t concern myself of you or anyone else.”

His words stung but I was determined not to let the distress show on my face. I folded my hands on my lap and raised my eyes towards him.

 “I’m sorry, sir but Changmin is very special to me. I would never want to see him jeopardize his future or happiness. And I would never get in the way if I thought things are as they should be…” I bit my lip, steeling myself to be strong. “But your son is miserable, and he’s—he’s my friend."

“Friend? Really? You think of him as a friend?” He laughed a dark kind of laugh. It sent cold shivers down my arms at the sound. “Who do you think you’re talking to, Miss? I am not a simpleton,” He barked, standing up and towering over me. I gripped my hands on my knees and said nothing. Meanwhile, he raged on.

“I know who you were to him back then and I know who you are to him now. He almost ruined his life four years ago by buying a ring and planning to propose to you—you of all people! A girl from a nobody’s family.”

Propose?My breath caught in my throat as the pieces fell together.


“He caught me planning something for you that day that he didn’t quite like.”

-

“I loved you each day I was away– You were never away from my mind.”
 

I blinked back tears that were starting to form. He was going to propose. Closing my eyes for a moment, I let Changmin’s father’s biting words pass me while I thought of everything that had happened these past years. I thought of Changmin and his words the night before, my heart swelling in joy and sadness. I put my hand on my heart and let out a breath.

“He would have regretted every moment in the future if I hadn’t intervened.” He slammed his hand on his desk, causing me to jump slightly at the sound. “I know my son. How dare you try to lecture me about my son’s happiness!”

“I love him!” I yelled, standing abruptly to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter