Giving Back

Dancing my Heart Out

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pytirUjyAhk

=========

“Mr. Kim, as you know, my parents are dead, so do I have to complete the permission slip?” Jin Ju asked her teacher after everyone left the classroom.

“You must at least have one guardian. Go and get that guardian’s signature and you will be permitted to go on the trip.”

Jin Ju nodded and headed out of class to lunch. On her way, she passed her locker and put her books away. When she closed the door, her heart almost leaped out of her. Lay was standing right there, so close.

“Hey. Do you need my mom’s signature again?” Lay walked with Jin Ju to the cafeteria.

“Yes. I’m sorry for the inconvenience. I promise I’ll pay you back somehow.” Jin Ju trailed off into thought.

“It’s fine. Really, no need to do that. I’m glad I could help out.” Lay replied with a genuine smile. Jin Ju felt her heart lift in delight.

“Thank you…oppa.”

……..

The long six hours of class soon ended, and pupils ran out of the front gates towards home. Lay and Jin Ju walked together towards the dance academy. Lay pushed opened the doors for Jin Ju as a sign of politeness. Then they went their separate ways.

Jin Ju went towards the dancing room where the rest of 2NE1 was waiting for her.

“Hurry up! You know we only have two months to practice!” Chaerin said.

“Yes, yes. Coming.”

Jin Ju felt very enthusiastic today for some unknown reason. She never felt this happy in her life—except the time when Lay took her to Lotte World for her birthday.

That was the best time of her life, and she promised to cherish it forever until the day of her death. That was also the first time Jin Ju stepped foot in Lotte World. It wasn’t that long ago, therefore Jin Ju could remember it clearly.

……..

“Where are we going oppa?” Jin Ju was blind-folded and Lay was her eyes.

“We’ll be there soon; just wait a few more minutes.” Lay smiled behind her, whilst pushing her lightly towards the entrance of Lotte World. Jin Ju felt a mix of emotions right there: happiness, fright, and excitement.

“Wait right here, I’m going to get something. Don’t move anywhere!” Lay shouted. His voice sounded remote to Jin Ju. *Is he leaving me? Where is he?* Jin Ju felt scared, but she trusted Lay and stood still.

Soon, Lay came back. “Alright, just don’t speak and walk where I lead you.” Jin Ju nodded and stepped forward.

Lay gave the two tickets to the gate attendant. The attendant was about to say “Welcome to Lotte World”, but Lay knew better, and put his index fingers to his lips to shush him. He pointed to Jin Ju, and the attendant realized it was suppose to be a secret, and nodded. The attendant gave Lay a map, and Lay pushed Jin Ju through the gates and stopped abruptly.

“You can take your blind-fold off now.” Lay took his hands off of Jin Ju and helped her take her blind-fold off.

Jin Ju stared blankly at her surroundings. *I’m at Lotte World! Look at all the wonders!* Next to her, on the right, was a gigantic roller coaster with screaming people within it. On her left was a person in a Mickey Mouse costume attracting many juvenile children.

“Where do you want to go first? We have all day.” Lay said with an amiable smile.

“I thought you had classes to teach today.” Jin Ju said with a hint of sadness.

“They are all postponed until tomorrow. As for today, I want to spend the whole day with you, so do whatever you want and be happy, alright?”

*He wants to spend the whole day with me?!* “Okay, oppa.” Jin Ju smiled and dragged Lay to wait in line for the roller coaster.

They waited for thirty minutes, and finally sat on the seats. Jin Ju was feeling a bit nauseous, and Lay noticed this. He reached out and held her hand, making her feel reassured.

Then, the coaster started to move in an incline. Jin Ju was about to scream any moment now. The coaster moved gradually, and then flew down all of a sudden. Now, everyone—mostly girls—were screaming their lungs out.

The coaster went so fast; the wind blew into Lay’s and Jin Ju’s faces with a big impact. It went right sharply, then left, then in a circle. It repeated this cycle for three times, and finally came to a halt. Jin Ju and Lay unbuckled their seat belts and walked away from the roller coaster.

After that, they went to the balloon ride. They had to wait here, just like the roller coaster. However, this line was shorter and they were soon in a balloon—just the two of them; no one else.

*This is the perfect time to do this. Alright Lay, man up and get ready to confess.* Lay walked over to Jin Ju slowly, thinking of how to do this correctly. Jin Ju was admiring the aerial view of below. The people walking seemed inferior to her. *I wish time would stop here, right now.* Then, she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around.

“Jin Ju, I have something to say to you. You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to, but just please listen alright?” Lay held onto both of her shoulders, one hand on each.

Jin Ju nodded and listened obediently. “Ever since young, I’ve reall-“

Jin Ju’s phone rang at that precise moment, causing Lay to stop promptly. “Oh, yes, Dara? Is something wrong? You sound panicked.”

“JIN JU! COME OVER TO THE MALL RIGHT NOW! MY BOYFRIEND IS TAKING ME TO HIS PARENTS’ HOUSE, AND I NEED A NEW DRESS THAT WILL SAY WOW, BUT NOT TOO WOW. HELP!!!” Dara shouted over the phone.

“Alright, alright. Calm down, I’ll be there soon. I’m at Lotte World right now, I’ll be there in thirty minutes.”

“Thank you! You are a life-saver!” Dara hung up, and Jin Ju hung up after.

“Sorry oppa, Dara needs me right now. I have to leave…Can you drive me to the mall?”

*She has to leave already? I didn’t get to confess though…* “The one near our school right? Okay, I can do that. Do you have to go now, as in now?”

Jin Ju nodded. Lay sighed depressingly. The balloon ride soon ended, and the two got off. They went out of the amusement park and hoped onto Lay’s motorcycle.

Lay sped with the wind, and arrived at the mall in no time. “I’ll see you tomorrow then.” Lay sadly said.

Jin Ju waved goodbye and ran inside the mall to meet Dara.

………

After the practice and her dance class soon ended, Jin Ju went to the nearby mall to buy something. She entered the glorious building and rode the escalator upstairs to the men’s section of GAP.

“Hello madam. How may we be of service to you today?” A staff member asked politely.

“I’m looking for a birthday present. Um…Maybe a comfortable jacket that would be nice in the woods?”

“We have these new products that just came in today. Would you like to see them?”

Jin Ju nodded. The staff led her towards the back where magnificent jackets were hung up on racks.

“We have a variety of famous brands and designs. Feel free to look around here. If you need anything, just ask.”

“Thank you.” Jin Ju bowed and proceeded to look around. She saw a fur jacket in Lay’s favorite color—blue. *This is perfect.* Jin Ju took the brown fur jacket off the rack and look around the interior.

It was perfect for Lay. Jin Ju decided to buy it. She went over to the cashier and checked out the jacket.

“That would be $185 in total.” The staff replied.

Jin Ju gawked at the cashier. *It’s a little above my usual budget… Hell, it’s more than above! It’s going to take more than all of my monthly pay…I guess I have to find an extra job then.* She paid the cashier with cash and walked out of the mall with the fine jacket.

Jin Ju smiled to herself as she rode the public transit home.