Asking About You

Of Porcelain And Steel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The morning came with a decision for me:I was going to conquer that guy’s heart. He was going to become the very golden crown of my admirers’ list! And then, I was going to become untouchable by the other women in Hanyang!

“What’s with the smile on your face, Ae Ri?”mother asked as I joined them for breakfast in the garden’s pavilion.

“Nothing much. It’s just that this morning is wonderful!”I smiled as the maid poured the flavored teas in the small cup.

“I heard that Kim Ha Soo’s son came back this week,”mother addressed herself to father, who was silently watching the birds from the nearby cage.

“That’s true,”he sighed, turning his face to her.

“Who is he?”I asked, taking a bite from a rice cake.

“Who’s who?”Jun Hyung sat next to me with a tired expression. “What were you talking about?”

“What’s wrong with your face? What did you do last night, Jun Hyung? You went to the saloon again?!”

“Dear, stop yelling at our son,”father hid his smile as he tried to calm down mother. “His old enough to know what’s good for him and what’s not.”

“You start again! Defending him! He should stop wondering around the town with those good for nothing friends of him and settle down! He should marry, that’s what he should do!”mother poured some tea into father’s cup. “I have a friend who’s daughter is just at the right age to get married. What do you say, Jun Hyung?”

I hid my smile as he almost choked with the food.

“I say that there’s enough time to find someone I like and get married,”he answered. “I think I told you before that I will not get involved with any of your friends’ daughters,”he frowned. “Plus, they are not my type!”

“And what’s your type if I may ask?”mother’s low tone announced a major fight coming up.

“Someone like Ae Ri here,”he turned his face to me. “Young and full of life. Someone who knows how to make me run after her and make everything she wants. Mother, I think we both agree that I need someone who knows how to dominate me,”he turned to our parents smiling.

“Oh you sneaky,”mother began laughing. “Indeed, that’s what you need!”

“So, who were you talking about when I came?”Jun Hyung’s eyes fell on the biggest cake that was on the table.

“About Kim Ha Soo’s son, Jong Woon,”father replied calmly.

I watched Jun Hyung’s reaction closely. His fingers clenched around the fragile cup, breaking it. “Aish…now I did it!”

“Son, you should learn how to control yourself,”father stood from the table. “The King summoned us all to the Council Hall. I’ll be going. Don’t wait me for lunch, dear,”he walked away with mother looking after him.

“I should be going too,”Jun Hyung stood from his place.

“Where to, young man?”

“My friends said that we’re gathering today to go to the port as a ship from Japan comes. I know that you wanted some silk last time and I thought that it would be the best to be there when the officials are coming,”he smiled. “Why? You don’t want to?”

“Oh you…sneaky young man!”she muttered waving her hand. “Go! Go before I don’t change my mind!”

“Thank you mother!”he hopped into his shoes and left the garden in no time. So it was only the two of us…

“Where are you hurrying like that?”mother sipped her tea slowly.

“I have to be somewhere,”I mumbled, not having any lies at that hour to use.

“Ae Ri, today I want you to spend your day with me.”

“Why?”I frowned. It was strange. Mother and I were not close…

“Just. I miss my daughter, Ae Ri. I’m not used to be warm as I should be. Blame the education I received when I was young. Blame my personality. Blame whoever you want, but try to understand me here a little. It’s not like I want to be this way! Trust me when I tell you that seeing the other mothers with their daughters, their relationship…it pains me at the thought that you consider me a heartless mother. And of course, I’m envious on them. So, will you come today with me?”

Her speech left me there thinking for a little. Indeed, mother was not the ideal mother when it came down to her attitude towards her family. She was cold and distant, acting strange and awkward around us when we show her our love. Maybe her education was at fault for this. Because growing up in a Japanese household was not easy nor simple.

Cho Mi Roo, born Yang, was the Joseon King’s little sister. She was raised in Japan and came back when she was 16. To the shock of her father, the late king, she married father. Paradada! And that’s how we were born under the name ‘Cho’, still being part of the royal family.

“Ok,”I smiled. “Today I’ll stay with you, mother.”

“Thank you, Ae Ri,”she caressed my cheeks with her cold hand. “You won’t be dis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter