~*~ Part I ~*~ Chinese Porcelain

Of Porcelain And Steel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Miss! Miss! Where are you miss?”

I placed my hand over my mouth to prevent the giggling from giving me out as the maid passed by the place where I was hiding. I loved this moment of the day when I sneak out of the palace and run straight to the market! That place is so full of life and colors. Not like this old palace!

“Oh! You’re out again, miss?”the old lady from the fish market asked as I stopped in front of her stand.

I frowned. “What are these?”I pointed to the huge barrel in which something was sparkling.

“Those are korean eels,”she smiled, addressing me in Korean. “Good for men’s health!”she added, winking at me.

“Oh, grandma…”

I looked with interest at those strange beings that looked like marine snakes and that were producing some kind of electricity. “You’re Korean, huh?”I muttered as they swam in the tight barrel. “Guess what? I’m Korean too,”I whispered at them. I knew I was being childish and all, but I couldn’t stop myself. Growing away from my family, in the Tang Empire was a difficult thing. And even though I was raised here since I was 5, I still hated to speak that tangled language of theirs! I was a proud Korean! But lately, I seemed to forget how to speak that sweet language that I shouldn’t have been forced to forget in the first place…

“Miss? Miss! I found you!”the young maid panted next to me, clinging on my sleeve. “I thought Prince Xiah told you not go out from the palace’s gardens…”

“Oh did he?”I replied coldly in Korean. “I don’t remember him giving me any order of any kind. Now please, let go of me!”

“But miss!”

“I have an important person to meet. Now, if you excuse me,”I took my leave with an arrogant attitude. I winked to the grandma that began smiling. I kept my way of walking till the first corner of the market. Then I started running. I ran till my feet began hurting…I ran remembering the vast field I used to go to with my parents only to enjoy the beautiful scenery. And there were flowers and bees. And there was the beautiful Hanyang sparkling in the bright sun of the summer…

“I’ll go back one day,”I whispered as I turned towards the imperial palace. “You can’t force me to remain here forever! And even if you do, I will do anything in my power to return to Hanyang. Even if that means to burn you to the grounds…”

♃~✵~♃

“Prince Xiah!”the maid announced.

He stepped inside, keeping his hands behind and addressing me a mysterious smile. He was wearing bluish clothing, while his long, dark hair was falling straight on his shoulders, towards his slim waist. My smiled widened.

“What’s that behind you?”I curiously asked as soon as we were left alone.

“What’s what?”he played innocent.

“Don’t play dumb with me, Xiah!”I pouted. “I know you’re hiding something there. Could it be a present for me?”I wiggled my eyebrows.

He signed. “Is there something important going on? Why should I bring you a gift?”

“Playing hard to get, huh?”I muttered under my breath as I poured some sweet liquor in the small cups. “But how can you say that? I’m hurt! How can you not possibly know that today is my birthday, darling?!”I threw him a hurt look as I empathized with the word ‘darling’. Now that had an impact on him! He turned red till the tips of his ears to my delight…

“I-I-I…here! For you!”he passed me the package he was holding behind him. “Happy birthday, miss Cho!”

“A present!”and in no time the silky covers fell down, revealing a beautiful puppet. “Oh…it’s so beautiful,”I gently passed my fingers over its face. It was made of white wood. The features were imitating so well the human features! Its clothes were made of red and black silk. The crown of the puppet revealed me the truth behind the expensive gift. And I smiled.

“Do you like it?”his voice reached to me.

I stared into his eyes. He wasn’t ugly. Actually, he was known for his beauty. Nature was generous with him. “I love it!”I exclaimed, addressing him a small smile.

I heard him sign. That’s right. He was the first one…

♃~✵~♃

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter