The Aftermath

What is Love

The strong smell of caffeine drifted throughout the kitchen.

A lone figure sat on the chair with hands clutching her hair.

A groan followed by a few uneasy wiggles and then a long groan again.

What do I do?

She stood up and walked up to the coffee machine to see if her coffee was ready yet or not.

Normally she wasn't a coffee person. She did not like the bitter taste of it neither the strong heady smell it produced. The coffee machine was only there because sometimes her mother came over to visit and that's what she drank most of the time. But right now, she needed it desperately. More than anything at the moment.

Bringing the cup to her lips she inhaled its strong dark flavour. Blowing on it, she took one small sip. And immediately regretted it.

Her face turned into a mix of grimace and resentment with eyes scrunched up so tightly that even light couldn't pass through it.

Putting down her cup with a lound clang, she glared at her cup of coffee along with the spilled contents.

"Yah, why are you like this too?" She shouted at it.

Just then the telephone rang.

Aish, who could it be this early?

Grumbling she picked up the phone and answered stiffly.

"Who is this?"

"Yah, Park Jiyeon is that you?"

Not knowing the other party, Jiyeon only raised her eyebrows and answered, "Yes. Can I ask who is this calling?"

"Yeah, illma, how come you don't recognize your long lost friend?"

At the familiar tone, Jiyeon suddenly inhaled a gasp.

"Omo, Hwayoungie, is that you?"

"Yah what happened to you? Answering the phone so stiffly and not even recognizing your own friend?"

Jiyeon smiled. This was one friend she had by her side for 5 years and was sure would continue to be there for the rest of her lifetime too.

Ryu Hwayoung - her long lost sister (not in a literal sense).

"Awh, Hwayoungie I missed you!"

"I missed you too lovely. Now tell your Hwayoungie what's new?"

Hwayoung had always been a cheerful person, always able to make her laugh and take things off her mind. She was so glad she called. And she did.

And currently let herself forget.

What was eating her mind at that moment.


The familiar marble and the glass hallways brought a fresh wave of emotions. She'd been so glad about Hwayoung calling that she had completely forgotten what she was to face in the next few hours.

Reminiscing about yesterday's events brought a sudden new heat to her face. Her cheeks reddened and she felt that strong urge to bury herself right then and there in the marble floor along with a placard placed right next to it apologizing for the mess her grave created.

But she couldn't stop. No, if she stopped right there, her entire routine would be altered.

Dr. Qri would ask her for a reason, Ann J and Suji would worry about her, a red cross would be marked in her attendance record and on top of that she would miss another round of one-sided sessions with the -faced Kris.

Yes, another round of faces was what would always mark her day complete.

And no way in hell did she want to mess up this periodic life she was getting used to.

NO WAY!

Sighing she dragged her footsteps to that familiar glass cabin which was more suited for business corporates than for being a mental patient's room.

Coming upon the gold engraved 3C door, she straightened herself and let out a deep breathe.

Okay, here we go!

Entering the room, she set her eyes on her patient who like every other day was staring out the window.

Suddenly she stopped, memories from yesterday clouding her vision.

She moved forwards now a hair's breadth away, closing her eyes ready to fall away to eternity.

BAM!

Two things happened at once.

1. "Dr. Jiyeon!" A nurse banged the glass door open to the room. "You're needed this moment ASAP in Dr. Qri's cabin!"

2. Jiyeon was smooching the bedsheet.

It feels so light. Like feathers. It's like my whole face is being smothered into one fluffy bed.

Bed.

BED.

BED!!!

Jiyeon suddenly looked up to find two pairs of very curious eyes looking at her.

"Are you smooching my bed?" A deep not-so-amused voice questioned her.

And before she knew it, her world went dark.

Shaking herself from the reverie she looked up to find herself under her patient's scruntinizing gaze.


He'd been enjoying his merry time. The free time he had to gaze outside at those forests. Everyday after getting up, he'd stare at it. There was nothing so peculiar or so entrancing about them to capture his thoughts. But he found it good a pass time. Counting the trees, the amount of leaves it possessed or how many had fallen or turned yellow. Each day he'd do that keeping a count in his mind. Also he found it a good way to ignore the others. The doctors, the nurses, the staffs, they'd get tired trying to pursuade him to talk or take his medicines or what not. After they'd thoughroughly give up on him, he'd let a small sinister smirk graze his lips.

It was the same everyday, until she showed up.

At first she was just like the others.

Unsure, nervous and unable to handle.

But as time progressed, she started waiting. Waiting patiently for him to finish gazing at those trees, for him to answer her question, for him to open up. Slowly but surely.

This things had not affected his forest-gazing habit one bit. No, not at all.

What did affect it at the moment was her strange behaviour yesterday.

For some reason, Kris felt that she had acted quite out of her character. Her breathing was laboured, her steps slurry and she was too touchy for his own good.

Not that he minded it. But it somehow felt like she was not in control of her body. And that was what was exactly disturbing his leaf count at the moment.

761, 762, 763, 765, 768 ...

Argh, not again!

His eyebrows scrunched up at the mistake he just created.

Great, now I have to start from the beginning again!

And currently this exactly was what was frustruating him at the moment.

His inablity to count those god damned leaves without a hindrance.

Just then he heard his glass door being lightly pushed. Soft steps soon followed afterwards but it stopped. It stopped right there after she'd taken 3 steps.

He wondered if she was going to continue after the first 5 seconds but when she didn't move even after 13 seconds, he turned around to see what was wrong with her today.


She felt like someone was looking at her.

When she lifted her gaze, sure enough someone was.

Someone by the name Kris Wu.

She offered him a timid smile.

"Morning!" She tried to chirp as happily as she could.

Still, that intense stare remained.

Trying to dissipate what awkwardness was hanging over them, much more like her, she attempted a cough.

Bad move.

It only intensified the awkwardness more. She swore she could hear the crickets chirping in broad daylight.

Kris turned back and continued gazing out at the window.

"So, how are you doing today?"

I hope he remembers nothing.

She slowly trudged up to his bed, hesitating whether to sit there or not. Minutes passed and her legs started complaining, much more likely due to the heels she was wearing so she gave up and sat down comfortably.

"Fine." His voice, a bare audible whisper.

Ok, so far no awkward conversations regarding yesterday.

We're doing good.

"Do you like the forest that much?"

When he didn't reply, she continued.

"You're always gazing out there all the time. Well more likely, all the time I've seen you."

A brief pause.

"No."

His answer puzzled her.

"I find it a good way to step on other's nerves."

Oh wow, ain't that just so dandy.

"I see."

Even though it was just a few words, a comfortable silence already hung over her. Kris kept quiet after that so Jiyeon just utilized that moment to gaze at his face.

Just as beautiful as the first time.

"So why were you smooching my bed yesterday?"

She choked on her own spit at the sudden question. Trying to hit her chest as hard as she could to breathe properly, she missed the amused look Kris was wearing.

"I was smooching what?" She half screamed-half yelled.

"Yesterday. You never got as far as being able to explain yourself properly."

Jiyeon only blushed a furious shade of red.

"Remember, you out before you could answer me."

Mustering what little dignity she had and the remaining scraps of her confidence, she stuttered, "I wasn't s-smoo-ching your bed? Who told you I was?"

"Hahahaha!" Jiyeon laughed as hard as she could. It only ended up sounding strained and forced.

When Kris just raised one of his fine eyebrows not looking exactly convinced, Jiyeon gulped.

Oh my Krisbrows! How can I lie to that face?

So what you gonna tell him, that he was about to be yesterday? Her other half shouted!

I wasn't gonna do that! The angel cried in outrage.

Oh yeah, then try explaining all the touchy part then! The devil retaliated.

You weren't yourself. Tell him that, he'll believe it.

Yeah and then after that, he'll shrink away from you who doesn't seem to have control over her own body.

The war waged on for as long as Jiyeon continued to gaze at his perfect face.

In the end, she decided she couldn't lie to his face but at the same time she couldn't tell him what was wrong with her either when she herself was not sure what was wrong.

With a sigh, she began.

"You see. Sometimes, wh-hen I'm ti-red i-it's that th-i-is thing happens. I do-n't seem to be in control of my body. It may be because my whole brain shuts down and the shocks sent to my brain by the nerve impulses gets messed up and I don't even k-know what I'm doing until I'm done doing what I was doing in the first place."

She didn't know what nonsense she had just sprouted but since she'd began she felt it was only fair she ended it.

"A-and so you see my friends tell me that o-on days w-where I'm tired I seem to behave unl-like myself a-and fall asleep anywhere my shut-down brain deems right. A-nd so y-yesterday I was not s-smoo-ching your bed, I w-was more likely f-falling asleep."

There!

Please buy it!

She was not telling him the whole truth but then again she was not lying either.

She'd just told him about the falling asleep part as for the touchy feelly part, she first had to be sure what she was even doing in the first place.

"So..." he began.

"...next time you smooch my bed that means you're tired."

Jiyeon forced a smile. "Hehehe, it seems so." She managed to mutter.

He managed a smile. An impish one.

So next time you drink soju, that means you'll be kissing my bed. Again.


Ah there, finally updated. Been so long and I'm pretty sure my readers want to kill me. Sorry for the wait. I was facing a writer's block. I was not sure if the story was heading in the direction I wanted it to. And on top of that I was considering if I should edit the whole fic again or not. But after writing the last line in this chappie, I think I just got over it. Anyways I'll try to update as much as I can now. Also I've mentioned Hwayoung at the beginning. It was my way of showing as much support I could for T-ARA for the contoversy they're going through at the moment. I believe in my girls and I won't be suprised to see if I've lost a few subscribers due to the recent bullying issues that arose. Anyways, T-ARA figthing! I hope these girls can get over this obstacle too and rise as an even better person and oh! Happy friendship day to you all. Adios!