Something to think about

What is Love

The girl lightly tapped her fingers against the table. She looked around the white room for the fifth time.

Five minutes. It's already been five minutes.

And as if just to emphasise her punctuality the door burst opened at that exact moment revealing a worried looking Doctor Qri with tears in her eyes.

"Oh, Jiyeon!" And with that she crushed the said girl into a bear hug.

45 seconds passed and soon Jiyeon was starting to go blue from the lack of oxygen.

"D..octor c-can-n't b..br-ea-the." She managed out.

"Oh sorry." Qri sheepishly released her from her death grip.

Taking in a large gulp of air, Jiyeon corrected herself.

"Its okay, I'm fine now. But can I know why you called me?" Jiyeon asked.

She had a very bad feeling about this.

Please don't tell me they think I didn't do well on my first day.

"Well, about that." Qri lowered her head to the ground.

Don't tell me they think I failed.

"Its about your first day as an intern here." Qri mumbled.

Oh god, no this can't be happening I only attended the first day.

"About that accident before..." Jiyeon prepared herself for the worst.

Instead what she got was a bowing Qri.

"I'm extremely sorry. It's entirely my fault. I forgot to tip you about your patient and poor you, you ended up getting hurt. I'm so sorry. Please tell me you won't leave work because of that small incident. We're really short on interns. Can't you excuse that tiny error on my part? Ok not so tiny but tell me you won't run away..." She continued to babble.

Jiyeon was in shock at the moment. Did she just hear right?

"So you're saying-"She cut off Qri.

"-that you want me to continue working here." Qri nodded.

"Despite the accident earlier, despite what happened today?" Qri only clasped her hands together in a desperate begging position.

"Of course I will. Why would I leave it in the first place?" Jiyeon half shouted-half laughed.

Now it was Qri's turn to be scared. Jiyeon was alright in head, right? So why was she acting like a maniac at the moment laughing her head off as if she had been told the funniest joke in the world.

After she gained composure, she finally straightened herself.

"Excuse me for my behaviour earlier." Jiyeon smiled.

"Umm, you're excused, as long as you're wiling to work here." Qri joked.

Both of them burst out into wide grins. However Qri's faltered soon enough.

"I'm really sorry, Jiyeon, truly. My mistake nearly cost you your life." With that she took both of Jiyeon hands in her hands.

"Its ok. Since its my first day here, I'll forgive you." Jiyeon winked.

"Also because of that accident earlier, I realized it even more how much I wanted this job. So don't worry. I'll do my best from now on."

"Awwh, you'll make a great doctor." Again Jiyeon was enveloped in another rib-crushing hug.

After what seemed like eternity but was only few seconds Qri let go.

"Since you may be a bit hurt from that accident earlier, you're allowed leave from the rest of your work today. You can go home and rest. Don't fret, I've already talked with the Head doctor and he's willing too."

All of a sudden Jiyeon felt too happy.

Yes, home sweet home. I can't wait to go ahead and plop on my bed. Especially after that rendezvous with that guy.

Suddenly her happy thoughts sapped out.

"Um, Doctor Qri. About my patient, can I visit him before I leave?" Jiyeon questioned.

Suprised Qri blurted out, "You're not going to murder him in his sleep, are you?"

Jiyeon looked offended. Qri realized her mistake.

"Sorry." She apologized. Jiyeon just smiled in return.

"Of course, you can." She continued. "But I don't think you'll be able to do much." Jiyeon looked puzzled.

"He's drugged and currently sleeping on his bed. It'll take quite a while before the drug wears out. Though if you're still adamant on meeting him, I see no reason to stop you."

"Ahh, kamsamnida Qri-seongsaemnim." Jiyeon bowed.


Soon Jiyeon was on her way to room 3C. She looked through the glass door and indeed she saw a figure laid out on the bed.

She squared her shoulders and walked in as confidently as she could even though her patient was nowhere near concious. As she neared the bed, events from earlier morning flashed into her head and her heart started picking up its pace. Before she knew it, she was by his side.

She peered at his face and it looked so peaceful.

Unlike the monster that just attacked me a few hours ago.

The more she looked at his face, the less she got afraid. Maybe it was beacuse she was seeing him defenseless at the moment which made him look less intimidating. Or maybe, her thoughts kept continuing on.

Soon, she lightly grazed his face.

Smooth, she noticed.

Does he take good care of his skin?

She mentally chided herself thinking how stupid it even sounded in the first place.

She continued to graze her fingertips against his cheek. Soon she traced his eyes, his forehead, his nose. Just as she was about to reach his lips,she stopped herself.

Yah, what am I doing? Taking advantage of an unconcious patient.

Not just any patient, her other half argued. Remember he's your patient, it continued emphasising the 'your' part.

Hesitantly she lighltly reached out, about to touch his lips just a few millimetres away.

"Are you ually harassing me?" He spoke without opening his eyes.

His mere breath burned her fingers. As if scorched by fire itself, she pulled away her hand.

"No, I wasn't." She fumbled with her words, blushing a bright shade of red.

"Then what were you doing touching my face without my permission?" He continued with his eyes still closed.

"I.." Wait a moment, does that mean this brat was awake the whole time?

She fumed.

"Since you did not stop me the moment I touched your cheek, doesn't that mean you wanted to get harassed?" She shot back.

"So that means you were harassing me. ually." He added.

Even though his face showed no emotions, she was sure she could hear the smirk in his voice.

Control Jiyeon, you are here to look at your patient and be on your merry way home.

Sighing she closed her eyes.

"I'm sorry." She whispered.

"Since I believe in tit-for-tat, do I get to ually harass you too? Then I'll believe we're even."

Caught offguard, Jiyeon only blinked. After the realization finally set in, she fumed even more.

"Idiot, I meant I'm sorry for earlier this morning."

"About me, calling you by your name." She softly spoke.

When he showed no signs of talking back, she continued.

"I didn't know about it. Doctor Qri forgot to mention it to me. I'm truly sorry if you were bothered being called by your name."

When he was still silent, she took it as her sign to leave.

"What's it to you?" His voice stopped her dead in her tracks.

She slowly turned around.

"Me?" She asked in an inaudible whisper.

"Why would you care if it bothered me or not? I'm just an experiment here, aren't I? You will go on about doing your research on me. Those same boring talk therapy sessions, those same medications, those same old meetings concerning my progress. How much I managed to talk, how much I ate, how my body is reacting to those medicines you gave. Che!"

Even though the drugs were still running throughout his body, he managed to speak his mind. Maybe it was because of the drug he was talking so much in the first place.

Now Jiyeon was purely confused.

"Isn't that how it's done." She meekly replied.

"That's what bothering. You guys don't care the reason for why I'm here. You only see the disease. You don't see what lies behind it." He shouted gritting his teeth and focusing his willpower on not trying to remove those damn pipes from his body.

Jiyeon had her head lowered.

All this time, she'd been a straight A+ student in her life. She had only bothered with what the teachers thought and the subject offered never letting her mind soar above more than needed.

Isn't that what psychology is all about? Seeing the human patterns and their behaviour, the way their mind works and all?

Unable to answer him and also at the same time being outsmarted by a mental patient, Jiyeon only lowered her head more.

"I'll see you tomorrow. Sleep well." She wished and turned around wanting to get away from him as fast as possible.

"What a newb!" Kris muttered finally opening his eyes.


She closed her door and rested her back against it sliding down to the floor.

What he had said had struck a nerve.

Isn't that what psychology is all about? Seeing the human patterns and their behaviour, the way their mind works and all?

She thought back to her thoughts, now being unsure of herself every passing minute.

Just then the phone rang putting an abrupt end to her thought. She got up and changed her slippers walking to her kitchen where it had a cute yellow phone attached to the wall.

"Yeoboseyo." She answered.

"Yah, Park Jiyeon. Why haven't you called me yet? I asked you to call me at 5 every evening, didn't I? I've been waiting for an hour already. Do you know what I was about to suffer from?" The person on the other line continued.

"Omma, nan gwenchana. You are just over-reacting as usual." Jiyeon laced her words with her smile glad being finally able to hear her mom's voice.

"Aigoo, this bad girl. At least let me know beforehand when you're going to be late for the call. Aish, making an old lonely mother worry so much." Her mother complained.

Jiyeon laughed. Her mother was always so sweet, caring and always worried for her.

"I'm fine. What about you?" She continued.

They continued chatting on for several more minutes with Jiyeon's constant defense on her being able to just do fine and her mother's constant persuasion saying she was still too young and her mother was lonely. Obviously it always came tothe same end -Jiyeon won.

"Forget it then. Tell me how did your first day go?" Her mother asked.

"It went well. The other interns are really friendly and we sat together for lunch. The doctor who briefs us is quite lovely too. As for my patient-" Her hand unconciously brushed against her neck suddenly reminding her of the faint pink line.

"What with your patient?" Her mother continued.

She remembered what her patient had questioned her, making her doubt her very reason for wanting to be a psychologist.

"Omma." Her voice turned serious.

"Wae? What happened? Are you alright?" Her mother started fretting on the other end.

"Do you still miss appa?" Her question caught her mother offguard.

"W-wae? Why would I miss him?" She asked back.

"Its alright. I just wanted to know if you did." Jiyeon whispered.

"Aigoo, this girl. Tell me honestly something happened right? Why else would you ask such a question out of the blue?" Her mother continued.

"To be honest, my patient today questioned my beliefs on psychology. That's why." Jiyeon honestly replied back.

"Yah, who's that patient? Who does he think he is questioning my girl like that?" Her mother fumed.

"Tell me omma, do you still miss him?" Jiyeon continued not wanting to deter from the subject.

After what seemed like a while, her mother sighed and finally answered back.

"I do."

Tears stung Jiyeon's eyes.

"Omma wae? Even after he left you, us for another woman, how can you still miss him?" croaked.

"You think I want to miss him? After all he did, you think I still want to remember him?" Her mother cried.

"Then why?"

"Human nature, I guess." Her mother answered back trying to sound as serious as she could.

Instead both of them burst out, laughing out loud at their own personal joke.

"Omma mianhe,I didn't mean to hurt you." Jiyeon wiped her tears while saying so.

"Anni, I thought after 14 years I would be fine but it seems thats not the case."

They talked for more finally ending their conversation. Soon Jiyeon ate her dinner and showered resting peacefully on her bed.

Her thoughts strayed back to her patient, Wu Fan thinking about what he'd said and soon before she knew it she was off to dreamland where she happily punching the living daylights out of him.


Yay, finally updated. Sorry for the wait. Woohoo, I think I love doing Kris and Jiyeon's interactions. Gonna hang out with my friends tomorrow as a tribute for finishing my A-levels. Till then, enjoy people.