Their First Step

What is Love

Narrator's POV

Soon enough she found herself in front of the dreaded room again. The night had quickly passed not giving her enough time to sleep and her head was still woozy from the lack of sleep. Rubbing her eyes, she clutched her notes tightly and with a sharp exhale she pushed the door open.

She spotted him looking outside the window again. Putting on her best smile, she happily chirped, "Good morning, Kris."

For some reason the name Kris sounded foreign to her tongue and she did not like it one bit. She got the same reaction as yesterday. None.

Carefully walking upto him, she pulled one chair and sat beside him.

"What are you looking at?" Jiyeon asked.

No response.

She looked outside to see what he was seeing.

It was a plain simple green scenery of the forests and the pathway in between them.

"There's nothing much to look at, is there?" She helpfully asked.

Still, no response.

Unconciously she fidgeted with the hem of her grey top.

If this kept on going, she'd be talking to a wall for one whole year.

Sighing, she started "You know, I thought about what you asked the other day."

Still he showed no indications that he was listening but she knew he had his ears open.

"Why I started to take psychology? Why I was so interested in the human mind?" She let a bitter smile grace her face.

"It was my 5th birthday and I was waiting for my father to come. My mother had thrown a small birthday party with a few of my friends and her relatives attending. Soon the time came for me to cut the cake and still there were no signs of appa. When I asked my mom she just told me he'd be late. My appa was a very busy man. I was a bit sad since appa promised me that he'd attend my birthday no matter what. However the birthday ended, the guests left, the night passed but still there was no appa."

At this her breath hitched. Kris slowly turned his head and looked at her. He could see her with her head down.

She knew he was looking at her and for this very reason she could not let those tears fall. Swallowing that lump in , she continued.

"Later that night when my mother carefully tucked me into my bed, she told me appa would never come again. I asked her why. She just told me that appa had left for another omma. I did not understand what it meant at that time. For me, it just meant one less gift on my birthday, one less person to give my morning kiss to. Soon I learnt it meant only my mother attending my school on parents day, no gifts to give on Father's day, no one to threaten my date on prom night."

She sniffed, the sound of her snot resounding throughout the room.

"Soon, I knew it too well. I wondered, why did appa leave my omma? Did he not love her? Did he not love me? Even when he was married how could he go after another woman? Since then I started wondering, how did the human mind work? Learning their behaviours, processing their actions, I could predict their next move. If only I could have done that before, maybe appa would have still been with omma. Maybe."

croaked.

She was embarassed beyond belief at the moment. She was crying her eyes out in front of her patient that too on Day 2 itself.

"Turn around." She croaked.

Kris only raised one of his brows.

"Turn around. I need to blow my nose." She croaked again.

She fumbled around only to find that she had no hanky with her.

Suddenly a white object blurred her vision. She looked at it to find a white hankerchief shoved in front of her.

Gratefully, she took it and started blowing her nose.

"I'm sorry." She apologized after she had blown her heart away.

"I didn't mean to cry in front of you."

Sniffing for a few minutes, she gained her composure.

She looked at him to find him still staring at her.

"Do I still have something on my face?" She asked with her red nose.

"Didn't expect that." He calmly stated.

"Expect what? My outburst?" She asked confused.

With a slight tilt of his head, he replied back "Your answer."

"Oh."

"Many doctors here don't bother answering their patients cause they all believe we are mental in the head." He made a slight swirling motion with his finger pointing it at his head.

"Well, aren't you?" Jiyeon innocently asked.

He only smirked in response.

Jiyeon blushed a furious shade of red.

"Do I look mental?" He asked with that smirk still in place.

She took this moment to look at his once again. Long face, porcelain skin, dark lashes, well-defined brows, sharp nose and plump lips.

Nope, he looked far from mental. More like related to a long line of supermodel descendants.

"Well, do I?" He continued breaking her line of thoughts, catching her red-hand in staring at him once again.

She only blushed more.

"Ahem." She coughed tyring to clear so that she wouldn't squeak.

"Well, since I told you the reason why I'm here, shouldn't you do the same?" And suddenly Jiyeon wished that she had not asked that all.

His eyes turned dark and that smirk was replaced with a cold mask.

"I'm sorry." She squeaked out suddenly remembering yesterday's events too well.

He turned around brusquely and went back to staring outside the window.

Jiyeon, you pabo! How could you do that? You were going so great and now its all ruined thanks to you.

Jiyeon winced. She had not thought her simple question would land her into this.

"Mianhe. I didn't mean to upset you."

Still, he continued gazing out.

"Tell you what? I'll repent." She spoke suddenly gaining a bright new idea.

"I asked you about how you came here,right. Well, you don't need to answer. Instead I'll tell you one embarassing incident that occured with me."

She looked up at him expectantly still finding him looking out. Undeterred, she continued.

"Okay, this happened when I was in the 9th grade. There was this guy in my class. His name was Yoo Seung Ho. He was really handsome and well-mannered. He was good in his studies and great at sports too. He had a bunch of really cool friends and he was admired by the whole student body. Including me." She added after a pause.

"I had been crushing on him for the past 3 years and so my friends asked me to confess. At first I denied but they kept on persisting and a part of me wanted to give in to their persistence too. So I gave in. I confessed to him." Breathing, she continued again.

"It was during lunch break. Right after he came out from the boy's toilet, I confessed to him in the lobby. Thank god there was no there at the moment. Can you guess what happened?" She asked him.

He kept silent as if indicating he wasn't listening to her but she knew better.

"He rejected me. When I asked why I was embrassed and heart-broken at the same time. He turned out to be gay." She sighed.

"Can you believe that? 3 years of faithful crushing and that was what I got. I was scarred beyond belief at that time."

She looked at him trying to find any trace of emotions on his face reflecting on the glass window but he seemed composed.

"Forgive me. I told you about another part of my life to makeup for yours. Talk to me." She whispered.

"Why are you telling me all this?"

She looked at him seeing him gazing at the forest. His eyes were not focused on her but his concentration sure was.

"As your doctor in-charge, I looked thrpough your profile. I know what you suffer from and yet you show no signs of wanting to be helped. Also I thought back on yesterday's events when I got home. To me, you seem very carefully guarded. You won't let anyone reach you unless you've seen them with their shield down. So there, I'm laying myself bare." She shrugged with her hands open.

"Kris." She tenderly touched his shoulder. When he showed no signs of pushing away, she turned him around.

She searched his eyes and sincerely gazed at him, "Let me help you."

At that time, all Kris could see was another person just trying to reach out to him. She held no greed, no lies or any underhanded motives. And for the first time after so many years, his heart tugged.

"You can call me Wu Fan, I don't mind."

He'd hated his name ever since that incident. To the point that he'd go on insane upon hearing it called. But for some reason he felt that he could trust her. Trust her with his name.

Little did he know, that the moment he said that he was done for.


Well, okay there. Upadated for today. Well how do you like it. Yes as the chapter states, they are finally starting to get to know each other. Do comment and subscribe if you liked it. Till then enjoy!