Progress

What is Love

She walked with light giddy steps. It was her lunch time and she was giddily jumping with joy. There wasn't practically any reason but she just felt so happy. Ok not exactly no reason but she had made an improvement with her patient and it was more than enough to bring a light spring to her steps. Yup, she was definitely more than happy.

As she entered the cafeteria, she searched for familiar faces until she recognized two. Trying her best to look as normal as possible, she walked towards them with careful even steps. She was trying her hardest not to charge towards them like a bull seeing red. When she reached their table, her two friends stopped talking and looked at her.

"Take a seat, unnie!"

She was about to do that but then stopped herself.

"Wae? What's the matter?" The older among the two asked.

"Ah! First let me get my lunch."

Truth be told she was not that hungry but she decided she'd need her strength to last throughout the day.

"Ok. Do you want me to come with you?" The youngest asked politely.

"Aniya. You two enjoy your meal."

Those two nodded and she was back to walking her careful even steps to get her lunch.

While she waited in line, she thought back to her conversation with Doctor Qri.

"Oh, Jiyeon-ah. Good afternoon!" The senior doctor greeted her when she saw her coming inside the elevator.

"Oh, afternoon!" Jiyeon bowed.

"On your way to lunch?" The senior doctor conversed.

"Yes, you?" She asked back politely.

"I'll have mine later. Right now I need to arrange these documents. They need to be at the chairman's desk by 2." She gestured towards her hands which was currently occupying some heavy stack of folders.

"Oh, good work then." Jiyeon wished.

"Mmm. Speaking of work, how's it going with your patient, Kris? He's not giving you any trouble is he?" She sincerely asked.

"Aniya! He's doing fine." Jiyeon didn't want to worry the sweet doctor.

"Even though it's not much, I think Wu Fan and I are doing well." With that Jiyeon smiled her brightest smile.

Instead of smiling back at her, Qri's face turned into what was called horror.

Jiyeon blinked taken aback by her senior's face.

"Seongsaemnim?" She questioned.

"Jiyeon-ah. Don't say that. Didn't I warn you yesterday? You don't call him by his name! Did you forget what happened to you?" Qri spoke so fast fear evidently lacing her words.

"Oh! About that you don't need to worry. I haven't forgotten about it."

"Then why?" Qri asked confused.

Gently tucking a stray strand of her hair behind her ear, she replied.

"He said I could call him Wu Fan." She shrugged her shoulders.

CLANK!

The folders from Qri's hand dropped to the floor.

"He what?" Her voice ended into a whisper.

"Seongsaemnim?" Jiyeon asked again, this time worriedly. She was acting stranger by the moment.

"He said what?" Qri asked again but this time her voice backed out on her and she ended up mouthing the words.

"Seongsaemnin!" Jiyeon shook her.

Jolting out from her shock, "Oh! Mianhe!"

Jiyeon sat down and started collecting the folders and handed it back to Qri.

"Thanks!" She muttered.

"It's fine. But are you?" Jiyeon questioned worriedly.

"Forgive me but I think I just heard you say Kris said you could call him by his name. His REAL name."

"Yes, he did." Jiyeon innocently answered back.

Qri closed her eyes and rubbed it with her other free hand.

"Oh Hallelujah Buddha Allah!"

"What?" Jiyeon blurted out.

"I'm suprised. Wait a minute. That's an understatement. I'm shocked. Yes, that's the word. Well, I'm more than shocked at the moment." Qri started talking fast. As she always did when she was not feeling herself.

Jiyeon only stared at her senior who was behaving more weirder each passing moment.

After she gathered herself, Qri straightened herself realizing what she'd been acting like for the past few minutes in front of her intern.

"Forgive me. I think I passed out for a moment back there."

"It's alright."

Jiyeon still continued staring at her curiously.

"You see the thing is, things like this don't happen often here. So, sorry I was caught offguard!" Qri sheepishly apologized.

Jiyeon nodded her head asking her to continue.

"Kris is, how should I put it? A very reserved person. He doesn't talk much. I could count the number of times he's spoken during his stay here on my fingers. Also you saw how he behaved when you called him by his name yesterday."

Jiyeon nodded.

"He can behave even more violently than that. Believe me, I've seen him at his worst. It must be the first time he's allowed someone to call him by his name. Well he did hurt you before but after that no never. This is so rare. Sorry I was so caught up in it, I lost my cool."

Jiyeon nodded again slowly understanding the gravity of the situation.

So she was the first one to call him by his real name the second time and leave unscathed.

"It seems you've gotten to understand him at some level." Qri sincerely smiled.

"Day 2 already and you can call him by his name. I'll bet you'll become one hella promising psychologist."

DING!

Just then the elevator chimed open. Jiyeon looked out at the bright hallways. For some reason she thought it perfectly described her day today. Jiyeon bowed to her senior and stepped out.

Just like her day today. Being able to step out from her curbed small box into a whole new world outside. One that she had yet to discover completely.

That thought brought a smile to her face.

"Hey, move." Someone behind her shouted jolting her out of her reverie.

"Sorry." She flushed red.

Quickly grabbing an apple and a juice, she made her way back to their table.

During their lunch, Ann J talked about the difficulty she was having with her patient.

"He doesn't talk, doesn't respond and goes berserk when I touch his things. Crazy compulsive-obessed freak." She stabbed her pasta with that emphasising her distaste.

"Lucky you. At least, yours doesn't kick you when you try to sit on his bed." Su Ji offered.

Ann J winced, "Mianhe unnie."

"I see no reason for you to apologize. I was only trying to make you feel better." Su Ji replied in that same indifferent tone.

That was the problem with Ann J. She was just too soft and sensitive to other's problems.

"What about you unnie?" Ann J questioned Jiyeon.

"Well, I got to call my patient by his name." Jiyeon shyly spoke.

CLANK!

Their spoons dropped onto the table.

"You what?" Both of them croaked.

Jiyeon suddenly had a deja vu feeling.

"But isn't your patient Kris?" Ann J asked with eyes the size of saucers.

"So?" Jiyeon asked back.

"I heard numerous rumours about him. He nearly killed a guy for that reason."

"You're not joking, right unnie?" Su Ji asked seriously.

"Guys, its the truth. I'm serious." Jiyeon replied nearly breaking into a hysterical laugh.

Seriously, why is everyone making a big deal out of it?

"Wahh! I'm jealous." Ann J moaned.

"At least, you've made some progress. While Su Ji unnie and I are still stuck on the same place."

"Relax, you still have one whole year left. You've just got to reach out to them." Jiyeon advised.

Over the remaining time, they lightly discussed about their patients, their lives and other small insignificant matters. Soon enough, time flew by.

"Omo, look at the time. Our lunch break's over already!" Ann J mentioned looking at her watch.

"I guess we need to get going then." Su Ji started getting up.

"I want to cry already. I think my patient's sent from hell." Ann J moaned.

"Come on Ann J, you can't give up like that." Jiyeon encouraged.

"Remember, you passed the audition for a reason. You can do it. Fighting!" Jiyeon pumped up her fists trying to lift her down-hearted spirit.

Ann J immediately brightened up.

"Fighting!" She cheered back.

Soon they were all on their way.

JiYeon was waiting for the elevator door to open and when it did, she found another guy inside it already. She briefly caught his ID card reflecting the light from the light inside the elevator. She deducted that he must be a member of the institute too to possess one. Without bothering with his face, she went inside and pushed the button 3.

A few seconds after the elevator door closed, the guy spoke.

"Hi! How are you?" The guy asked.

Jiyeon did not like it when guys flirted with her. While some girls only giggled more it only drove her mad.

With a quick nod of her head, she swatted his question away.

"Are you alright?" The guy questioned again.

It was not like she was suffering from any major disease, so she scrunched up her face and bit her lower lip to keep her irritation in place.

"Seriously, I mean it's okay if you're not feeling better. I can understand."

Okay, that did it. Her patience snapped.

She'd seen guys with all kinds of excuses coming up to strike a conversation with her but this guy was too irritating. The way he kept on asking her about her health did not make her feel better.

"What makes you think I'm so unwell?" Jiyeon snapped.

She took that moment to look at his suprised face. Okay, the guy was a bit cute and maybe that was the reason he thought he could charm all the ladies but definitely not this one. Jiyeon a was a bit more on the unlady-like side.

Quickly recovering the guy gave her a goofy grin.

"You may not remember me." He grinned.

"Do I have to?" Jiyeon shot back.

"Not really. I was there yesterday trying to help you." He answered not loosing that stupid grin.

"Oh really. Then pray tell, why don't I remember you?" Jiyeon asked back faking mock innocence.

"You were being strangled to death and I was trying my hardest to push that oaf off you."

Jiyeon looked puzzled.

What was he talking about?

Just then realization hit her and her face nearly gave her away. He was talking about yesterday.

"Remember?" He asked, his eyes twinkling.

"Yeah, so?" Jiyeon asked back not loosing her cool.

Ok, just beacuse he saved my life does not give him the reason to act so high and mighty.

"A little thank you won't hurt." He continued.

"Thank you." And with that Jiyeon turned back to face the elevator.

"I'm Lee Joon by the way."

Silence.

"Shouldn't you introduce yourself too?"

"I didn't ask for your name."

"My bad!" He ruffled his hair.

"By the way, you're assigned to that Kris guy right?"

Ok, first thing's first. She had not liked it at all that he'd started hitting on her despite the fact that he was just trying to ask how she was doing but he did try flirting with me asking my name, she shouted at her other half. And secondly she did not like the way he was talking about Kris. Maybe it was due to the tone he was taking.

When Jiyeon did not reply back, he continued.

"You must have it rough. That guy's a handful. I pity you."

With each passing second, Jiyeon was starting to dislike this guy more and more. Just then the bell chimed and the doors opened.

"Thank you for your concern." She spat back.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Ok, finally updated. This chapter takes place right after Jiyeon's conversation with Kris and reflects on the little progress they've made. Yes and Ta-Dah I entered Lee Joon. Hehe, at first I actually thought of placing L in Lee Joon's place but then I remembered L may not be buffed up enough to take on Kris. Yep, and I'm currently thinking how much I should involve the other characters in the fic since they are just side-pairings. Uff, it's so hard being an author. Thank you for reading and do comment and subscribe if you like it. Till then, enjoy!