The Interview

What is Love

Jiyeon's POV

I ran to the train station as fast as I could.

The train would leave in 3 minutes, so I pushed my legs even harder.

Crap! That's what I get for admiring my favourite drama.

I reached the basement just as the doors were about to close.

"Wait!" I screamed.

Idiot, it's not as if it's going to wait just because you asked it to.

Still, I ignored that remark my brain sent and pushed myself as if my life depended on it.

Well, actually it does.

SLAM!

My body collided heavily with the white wall and it limply slid down.

Well, it seems I really gave my all.

"Owh!" I cried out in pain after my body finally registered the pain.

I opened my eyes to see those automatic doors shut just in time.

Phew, that was close.

For some reason I felt like I were being stared at, so I looked up and indeed I was. Numerous pairs of eyes were looking at me curiously. Well who wouldn't after seeing the little show I had presented them with?

Suddenly, I was aware of my awkward position on the floor and quickly stood up.

I looked at one of the glass windows and saw what I had picked out in my hurry.

I was wearing a white lace top tucked in high waist light blue shorts with white ballet shoes.

Not bad.

I fixed my ruffled hair and adjusted the black bag where I had my documents carefully filed. I carefully smoothened my dress erasing the non-existent creases.

My forehead hurt a bit after the impact, so I pressed my palm against it to block the pain.

30 minutes later the train stopped and I got off.

I took out my iPhone and started the GPS navigation system.

Clutching my bag tightly I started to follow the instructions carefully.

The path I was taking lead me into the greener part of Seoul with trees surrounding the pathway I was taking.

Is there even a place like this Seoul?

10 minutes later I was staring at a rather large building behind strong iron-wrought gates that looked more like an advanced work place for white-collar employees than an institution for retards.

I gulped.

Passerbys would surely mistake it for an industrial sector had it not been for the big board beside the building in big black block letters that clearly read "Seoul Mental Institution".

Ok,this is where it starts.

With light steps I approached the checkpost where the guard inquired me of my business.

"Here for your relatives, missy?"

God, hell no.

"No. I'm actually here for the internship application."

The guard did a double take and looked at me carefully from my head to toe.

Are you thinking that I'm incapable of doing the work I'm applying for?

"Is there something wrong?" I asked with my chin set forward.

The guard gave a goofy smile and replied, "Nawh. It's hardly ever that we have such a beautiful young lady working in the institution."

Lame.

"Why?" I asked in the most serious voice I could muster.

At that his smile got even wider.

"They run away screaming from here right on the first day of their work."

Okay, that was so not helpful.

I didn't need to hear that right before my interview.

"Anyways, good luck." With a smile he clicked the gate open.

For some reason, his smile felt warm and I couldn't help but let a smile adorn my face as I entered the compound.

Once I entered the building, my body broke out in goosebumps. The air inside was chilly all thanks to the air conditioning system.

I walked upto the receptionist.

"How may I help you?" She asked with a smile plastered to her face.

"I'm here for the interview." I stated.

"Oh!" At this her smile got even wider.

Ok, why is she smiling like that?

"You're here for the internship, right?" She continued.

"Yes."

"Please follow me. I will take you to the interview room."

Along the way I got to know that her name was Lee Jieun. She looked like a bright box full of energy and never ending chatter.

"I'm so glad you're applying. I really hope you get in." She continued.

"Why?" I was curious.

"It's hardly ever that I get to see any girl interns around my age. The only people working here are those old withered uninteresting people with whom you doze halfway through their conversations. It's so hard for me. Being the only girl in this whole institution and no other friends to talk to." She pouted.

I thought she looked cute.

I smiled.

"I hope so too." I was being sincere.

We finally reached the room. A plate was hung up on the door that read "Interview Room".

"Well, here's your room. All the best." And if possible she smiled even more brightly than before.

I felt encouraged by her smile and nodded at her.

"Thanks."

Just as I was about to enter the room, she suddenly grabbed my elbow.

Suprised, I looked at her.

She looked around comically as if she was checking to see if the coast was clear.

She bent her face a bit closer to mine and mock whispered, "A word of advice."

Seeing my raised eyebrows, she put her face even closer.

"Remember, if you want the internship, you have to be ready for anything they throw at you. Understand, anything."

Immediately I got the wrong idea.

"You mean they ask you to sleep with them?" I bellowed.

"Aishh." She clamped her hand on my mouth.

"That's not what I meant."

Now even more confused I scrunched my eyebrows.

"What I mean to say is that this is a mental institution. When they interview you, they check to see if you are mentally prepared to handle the patients assigned to you."

I shook my head getting her point.

She removed her hand and clenched it into a fist.

"Just grit your teeth and tell them you can do it."

And with that she pumped her fist in the air and shouted, "Aja aja. Fighting!"

I grinned back.

If I got this position I'd really love to chat with her during my free time.

With my confidence boosted, I opened the door and entered the room.

Inside I faced quite a good looking man sitting behind a huge mahogany desk. I bowed and looked around. The room was lined with shelves and stacked with awards, certificates and lots of books of different genres.

The man smiled upon seeing me too engrossed in looking around the room.

"Please, be seated." He politely offered.

I broke out of my reverie and blushed. With a nod I headed towards the chair and made myself comfortable.

"I presume you're here for the review?" He questioned.

"Ne." I nodded.

"Allow me to introduce my self. I'm Kim Jae Joong, Head of Seoul Mental Institution."

(Ta-Dah! I seriously could not think of other names, since I'm a non-korean and he popped up into my mind first thing!)

He's so young!

I screamed inside my head.

"I only became the Head recently. It's been just two months that I've been in this position."

"Ne. I'm Park Jiyeon."

If possible, his smile turned even sweeter.

"So Jiyeon-ssi have you brought your documents?"

"Ah, yes."

I carefully pulled out my document from my bag and handed it to him.

He put on his reading glasses and started studying it.

Minutes passes and soon I started to get edgy. Random thoughts started filling my head.

What if he says that I'm underqualified?

What if I don't get in?

I'll never be able to apply for abroad studies then.

"Jiyeon-ssi." His voice brought me out of my reverie.

"Yes!" I almost screamed.

Amused, he continued.

"I see that you're quite qualifiedfor the positon. A straight A+ student with excellent remarks from your teacher I see." I slowly felt my confidence creeping back upon his comments.

"But-" he paused.

I started to feel nerves mercilessly wracking my body.

"As an intern you need to be not only academically prepared but mentally too, are you sure you can handle this?" He asked in a serious tone.

Ok, Park Jiyeon this is it. The moment you've been waiting for. Show him your stubborn determination.

I straightened my back and proudly squared my shoulders. With my face set forward, I replied.

"Yes I can sir. I've been waiting for this chance for so long. To get to interact with these people and learn to know why they behave so different from the rest of us. A mere mere threat from them won't be enough to back me down."

Yah, I also have my tae-kwon-do handy just in case.

He removed his glasses and laced his finger together.

He began in a solemn voice, "Well in that case-"

I mentally crosses my fingers and even toes if possible.

"-you have the internship."

For a moment my ears went deaf. I looked at him and he still bore that solemn face. I thought I heard wrong, so I asked, "What?"

"You have the internship." And his face finally cracked a smile.

Relief flooded throughout my entire body and all of a sudden my shoulders sagged and my throat felt dry.

Seeing that he had a glass of water by his side, I directly took it without any permission and drank it all.

With a loud sigh, I put the glass on the table and apologized.

He shook his head lightly and told me it was all right.

With my confidence renewed and my morale boosted, I put on my best smile and asked.

"So, when do I start?"


Ok, so there goes the interview. Still working on other chapters and yes as always reviews and commets are appreciated and so are subscriptions. Thank you. Still, no sign of Kris,eh! Hehehe. Don't worry he'll come up in the next chappie!!!

Preview:

I came here for an internship not to shorten my lifespan.