Hello there you Devil

What is Love

Jiyeon's POV

I sighed for the upteenth time.

Out of the blue for once I had woken up before the alarm started.

That was an hour ago, I opened my eyes.

However I was not willing to climb out from the warm covers of my bed. I felt safe and protected there. Unlike yesterday where I felt like my soul had been to the dead and back.

I sighed again.

I did not want to go back to the institution where my doom was waiting for me.

I'd be playing russian roulette trying to handle that guy.

Yah, Park Jiyeon, is this it? All the confidence you talked about. Buckle up girl. You'll face even harsher obstacles than this in your life. If you think hiding under the duvet covers will help you overcome your obstacle, you're dead wrong.

I mentally scolded myself. This is what I always do. Whenever I feel that I can't stand up anymore I scold myself for being so weak.

Fortunately my scolding worked and I dragged my body out from the bed.

I showered and changed into a new set of clothes.

Ok, since we're going to officially meet for the first time, I need to look good. After all, first impressions matter a lot.

I nodded my head at the mirror as if the mirror understood what I was thinking.

As I ate my breakfast in silence, I pondered about my first day as an intern.

He can't be that bad, right. He must have been angry yesterday, yes that must be it. After all the guard did say he was thrashing the guy for some reason. Who knows he may not be so violent normally.

My thoughts had already flown back to that guy and I was hopelessly trying to convince myself that I could get along with him.

After I was done with my breakfast, I washed my dishes, took out my bag and set off but not before double checking that my home was fully locked.

On my way, I kept zoning in and out of my mind that I didn't realize how quickly I'd arrived.

Upon nearing the institution, the same guard from yesterday spotted me and gave me a cheeky grin.

"So, got the job I see?" He grinned.

Whatsa matta to you?

Without any further nagging he opened the gate.

As soon as I entered the building my skin broke out into goosebumps. Again.

Over the coming days, I would soon learn that this would be a daily routine. The chilly blast of air from the AC hitting on my warm skin.

As I walked upto the reception, Ji Eun brightly smiled upon noticing me.

"First day, eh?" She grinned.

I couldn't help but smile.

"Mmm." I mumbled.

"Here's your ID card." With that she handed me a laminated card with my basic info and passport picture pasted to it hanging from a blue chain.

"Oh, you are supposed to go to the locker room first. You'll meet the rest of the interns there and one of the doctors will brief you on your work for today."

"Thanks." I replied.

I was about to turn back when she called out my name.

Confused,I turned around to find her smiling widely with both her thumbs sticking out.

"Good luck." She wished.

"Thanks again."

Maybe this day may not go that bad.

Soon I entered the locker room to find Suzy and Ann J already there.

They greeted me upon my arrival.

"First day, eh?" Ann J asked that same question.

Amused, I raised an eyebrow.

We talked a bit until a sweet figure interrupted us.

She was fair skinned and really pretty and had long brown hair with a beauty spot right at the tip of her nose. I found that cute.

"Hello. You must be the new interns. I'm Doctor Qri. One of the senior doctors here."

(Ta-Dah! Yet another suprise, lol. I was thinking whom to put and then I just remembered Qri, unlike other members Qri doesn't get much attention so I put her here.)

We bowed and greeted her.

"It's your first day, so you may be nervous and all but don't be. It'll be alright." She sounded really sweet.

"You guys must have gotten your ID card so wear that. You won't be needing white lab coats." She cracked a smile.

"Jiyeon." She called out my name.

"Yes." I answered.

"I'm informed that you have already met your patient."

I flushed a deep red.

Ok, it wasn't exactly a meeting. That dude was being restrained for beating the crap out of someone and I was only there to witness that epic moment.

"I only saw him." I mumbled.

"It's alright. They can look pretty scary and intimidating at first but they're pretty harmless once you get to know them."

Yeah right. Harmless as a lion.

"Well at least the patient from the mental section are." At this she looked at Suzy.

I did not understand at first but then I quickly remembered Suzy mentioning that she had applied for an internship at the Juvenile section.

I gulped.

I was scared for her. I looked at her to find a blank stare on her face. If she was hiding how badly her nerves were wracking her at the moment, then I had to say she was doing a good job at it.

"Well anyways, here are your patient's folder." With that she handed us each a manila folder she was holding on her hand.

"It has everything written on it that you need to know about and also the room they are staying at. Also remember they will not be the only patients you'll be assigned to. You'll be sometimes asked to look after other patients but it will only be for check-ups, experience and sometimes fill-ins beacuse other doctors can't make it."

She checked her watch.

"It's currently 9:50 am. Your working hour starts at 10. So you have 10 minutes to umm... de-jitterize yourself." We all smiled at her choice of words.

She had turned around and was about to leave when she suddenly stopped and hit herself on her head.

"Oh, I nearly forgot. Here you are." She handed us 3 black pagers.

"If anything happens,you can page me. And if I need you guys for something I'll page you."

We thanked her.

"Alright then, good luck." With that she was gone.

"She's so pretty." AnnJ gushed.

"And cute too." I smiled.

"I wonder how she manages to work here?" Suzy questioned.

We turned to look at her.

She carelessly shrugged and continued, "Judging from her appearance it looks like she'd cry if a fight broke out in front of her."

"You never know." Ann J replied.

"Mmm, don't judge a book by it's cover." I quoted that famous proverb.

Suzy looked thoughtful and then talked, "I guess."

"Ok, then lets look at our patient's profile before we go." Ann J said.

We all nodded our heads in unision and took our seats on the bench as we flipped through their profiles.

Hmm, let's see.

Name: Wu Fan

Birth Place: Vancouver, Canada

Date of Birth: November 6, 1990

Height: 187 cm

Natinality: Chinese-Canadian

I thought he was Korean.

Enrolled on: October 10, 2001

Wait a minute, it's 2012 right now. So that means he stayed here for 11 years.

My eyes widened at the horrible realization.

Room no.: 3C

Diagnosed with: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

But his illness seems pretty simple to me.

But years of study had honed me into believing nothing is as it seems.

I flipped some more through the pages as I read about his activities, the damages he'd done and what other information the doctors before me had gotten out of him.

I studied some more and found out that they had practically zero information on him besides his basic info whom his guardian had been kind enough to fill out at least.

As I read the last page I found out that the guy had not uttered a single word throughout his sessions with the doctors nor had he been heard to have spoken a few lines. By the nurses, the doctors, the guards, everyone.

You mean this guy practically kept mum for his entire 11 freaking years of medication here.

What the hell?

I would have died from the lack of social behaviour.

Though I don't talk much with people I barely know, my close friends know that I'm a complete chatterbox.

Well, most of the times.

Sighing I closed the folder. I looked at my watch and it read 5 minutes to 10.

Getting up I placed my belongings into my locker and wore my ID card.

Soon Ann J and Suzy followed my actions too after having read their folder.

After we were ready, with a note and pen in our hands we made our way to their rooms.

"Unnie, what's your case abbout?" Ann J asked.

"Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. You?" I asked in turn.

"My patient suffers from a serious case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder." She replied.

"Well that's sad." Suzy added.

"What's your case, unni?" Ann J asked again.

"He's a delinquent." She finished.

I raised my eyebrows.

She noticed and questioned, "What?"

"That's it?" I asked her back.

"More or less." She replied.

We reached the hallway and went our separate ways.

"Good luck." I wished her.

She smiled.

"You two too." She smiled looking at both of us.

Ann J and I reached the elevator and I hit the number 3.

"Which floor is your patient on?" I asked.

"It's 3 too. He's in room 3F."

I nodded.

Soon enough, the elevator tinged as we reached the 3rd floor.

"Good luck unni." I nodded once again.

"You too." She brightly smiled as we separated.

My heels clacked on the floor. I tried to walk as lightly as possible but it seemed that the hall was too silent which made my light steps sound 10 times louder than normal.

As I reached room 3C my eyes popped out from its sockets.

Holy wacka moly.

Is this even a patient's room?

It looks like as if it belongs in some 5 star hotel.

The whole room was painted solid white but that was not what was interesting.

What was interesting was that although the sides were wall: hard and concrete the wall opposite to me was not a wall at all. It was all made up of glass with windows crafted carefully in between so that one wouldn't even notice it was present there. The light from the sun drifted in through the glass basking the whole room in an ethereal glow.

Suprised I re-read the tag carved onto the glass door and yes indeed it read 3C in gold letters.

Still not believing reality I ran throughout the hallway checking all the other rooms and indeed they were an exact replica of 3C, white walls on the side and the 3rd wall not a wall but glass indeed but the glass wall were always positioned on the side were the sun rays fell.

I quickly remembered how dumb I must have looked loosing my cool over a patient's room and that too one belonging to a mental one.

I straightened myself up and headed back to 3C.

Either this is the VIP section or this instituion is just crazily loaded.

I looked through the glass door and saw a tall figure draped in lilac cothes looking throughout the glass wall ...er the window or whatever that was.

I lightly tapped on the door signalling him of my presence.

He did not turn around.

I tapped again.

Again he did not turn around.

Agitated I tapped harder almost knocking the door with my fist.

One of the nurses passing by frowned and gave me look.

I sheepishly smiled.

Fine, I was just trying to be polite here you .

With my chin set forward, I pushed the glass door open and tacked my heels as loudly as I could disturbing whatever moment he was having to himself.

Still, he did not bother turning around.

"Ahem." I coughed.

Crickets chirped.

"Hello Wu Fan." I greeted.

And almost too suddenly he whirled his head around so fast, I wondered if he sprained any muscles in the process.

He looked at me as if he wanted to tear me apart. His eyes were hateful and full of loathing.

Suddenly I had flashbacks from yesterday.

I gulped. Still, I continued not wanting to admit defeat so soon.

"Hello there. My name is Park Jiyeon. I'm one of the new interns and I have been assigned to take care of you." I smiled.

He glared.

My smile faltered a it.

"So..." I began.

Again I could hear those damn crickets chirping in the background as if to emphasise the awkward atmosphere.

"You're a..um a Chinese." I lamely began.

His glare still showed no signs of faltering.

"Funny, I thought you were a Korean." I laughed lamely.

My first day at work and I could already hear myself tumbling down into darkness.

Park Jiyeon, you're so pitiful.

Suddenly he moved from his position and walked to the study desk where he pulled out a chair and began to read one of the books already there on the table.

I realized I was standing there for 5 whole minutes looking like an idiot, so I snapped out from my trance of self-pity.

I quietly walked up to his table and pointed to the empty chair right across him.

"May I?" I politely asked.

He showed no indication of having heard me.

Jerk.

Fine two can play the game.

So without his approval I dragged the chair and plomped myself there.

I put my note and pen on the table and continued staring at him.

I noticed he had brown hair. No, it was a darker shade of brown with almost light black mixed in. It was tousled as if he had just woken up.

Bed hair.

Next I noticed his smooth flawless skin. It was pale and so white.

I suddenly grew concious of my own.

But his face looked so angry even while studying. I noticed the reason and smiled. It was because of his eyebrows. They were so sharp and well defined that just a light scrunch between them made his already intimidating face looked even more drastic. My eyes began to wonder to his eyes. They were dark black. Two pools of dark orbs.

I wondered if those eyes showed anything besides hate, anger and loathing.

After a few minutes, I had completely studied his face and soon I felt like a e staring like that though I was completely sure I was 3 years younger than him. So I attempted to break the silence. Once again.

"What are you reading?"

No reply.

"It must be pretty interesting."

Yeah, since you're not bothering to reply or even look up at all.

An hour passed, the pages kept on being flipped and my pathetic questions kept on going unanswered.

Park Jiyeon, your name will go down in history with you holding the title of the worker with the worst first day at job ever.

If this was how it was going to go, I wondered if I'd even be able to get him to talk at all throughtout the whole year.

Sighing, I placed my head on the table and closed my eyes.

After what seemed like a few minutes, to me at least, I opened my eyes.

Yesterday night's lack of sleep had caught up and made itself known. Rubbing the sleep out from my eyes I looked at my watch and gasped.

Holy fish, one hour had passed and it was time for my break already?

I looked around the room and found my patient calmly sitting on his bed.

All of a sudden my temper flared up for no reason. It must have been because I had just woken up. I tended to get cranky. My feelings were confused and his disinterest in my futile efforts were starting to rub off on me. The wrong way.

He could have at least woken me up. What kind of a patient is he? Doesn't he need any help at all?

Furious I walked up to him and as calmly I could, managed to question him through my gritted teeth.

"Wu Fan, why didn't you wake me up?"

Again his eyes flashed dangerously and his face scrunched menacingly.

However this time I wasn't threatened. I was too engrossed in my own anger to pay any heed to his.

"You're my patient? As one don't you require any help at all? Or at least you could have woken me up? We share equal responsibility. You need me and I need you."

At this he sneered.

Agitated, I scolded him more, "Don't sneer at me. Oh and don't you dare think you can weasel your way out by that glare. You're assigned to my care. Don't you feel that I've been irresponsible with my duties seeing that I fell asleep during work?"

Disinterestedly he looked the other way.

This did not help in calming my anger, instead it only fuelled up more.

"Wu Fan, I'm talking to you. Do you hear me? WU FAN!" I shouted.

It happened so fast.

CRASH!

BAM!

My eyes widened and started to water.

The flower vase next to his bed had been smashed against the wall.

And now he currently had me pinned to his bed with his one arm pressed up against my throat choking my breath. I fumbled weakly with his hands.

It was no good, I was starting to grow short of air.

"What are you doing? Let me go." I weakly muttered.

"Wu Fan!" I gasped.

Instead upon hearing his name, his arm only gained more strength.

Oh, God, please don't tell me I'm going to die here this way.

I didn't even get to tell my mom how much I loved her.

I haven't even had my first kiss yet.

So many thoughts started forming in my head.

I was starting to grow dizzy and my eyes started seeing white.

In the distant, I heard someone screaming.

It's no good, I'm dying.

Suddenly, his whole weight lifted off me.

I gasped up as much oxygen I could trying to function my body.

I gripped the bedsheets trying to regain my senses.

I closed my eyes and panted heavily.

I looked up to see Wu Fan being restrained.

It felt like deja vu.

Suddenly I started to have flashbacks of yesterday.

He was wildly thrashing against the doctors and the guards but what was even scarier this time was that his anger was directed at me.

I didn't even know what I had done wrong.

Is this the price I pay for taking psychology?

He still looked at me pure loathing evident in his eyes. Those black pools were burning with despise.

"Nurse, get me the sedatives." One of the doctors shouted.

I watched scared as the guards held him down and one of the doctors expertly injected the drug into his body.

Soon his movements started getting slurry and before we knew it, he fell down on the floor.

They picked him up. I abruptly got up from his bed so that they could place him there.

"Gwenchana?" A familiar voice asked.

I looked up to see Ji Eun's concerned face hovering away inches from mine.

I was not sure I could speak so I just nodded.

She assuringly patted my back and helped me get out from that room.

"It's your break right?" She asked.

Again, I nodded,

"Come." With that she gently led me to cafeteria.

I sat down on one of the empty benches.

"I'll get you your lunch." With that she left.

"Unni, what happened?"

I looked up to see Suzy looking at me questioningly.

I opened my mouth but could form no words. I tried again only to fail myself.

Suzy grew concerned.

"Unni, what happened? Are you alright?" Suddenly realization drew across her face.

"Did your patient do something to you?" She fumed.

"He attacked her." Ji Eun cut in.

I looked at her gratefully not wanting to talk about what had just happened.

"What? He attacked her." Suzy asked shocked.

"Mmmm." Ji Eun nodded.

"But why?" She asked.

I'd been asking myself that same question.

Why?

At this Ji Eun looked at me too.

For the first time I found my voice.

"I.. I don't know why either." My voice quivered.

Ji Eun scrunched her eyebrows.

"Jiyeon-ah. By chance did you.." She trailed off.

I looked at her questioningly.

"Did you call him by his name?"

"Wu Fan." I asked puzzled.

She sighed loudly.

"That was the problem." She answered as if saying that merely explained all the problem.

"Wu Fan." I stated now even more puzzled. She nodded her head.

I looked at Suzy and thankfully she was just as puzzled as I was.

I was starting to think if the lack of oxygen from earlier had started to mess up with my brain's capability to hear things properly.

"Can't I even call him by his name?" I asked incredulously, not believing the insanity of it.

Suzy shook her head as a sign of agreement with my question.

Ji Eun nervously bit her bottom lip.

"I don't know what his problem is but the thing is he doesn't like being called by his name. For some reason he turns murderous when he hears his name called."

Suddenly I remembered his glares, his strength, his sneer all of those intensifying when I called his name.

"But then if that is the case, what do you call him?"

"He's called Kris around here. If you haven't got a death wish that's what you should call him."

I was silent for a while.

"But then how did you know to call him Kris?" I asked.

"His guardian stated it on his form."

I nodded. But one question bugged me now.

"How come I wasn't informed of this?"

At this Suzy seemed bugged too.

"By chance did you have Doctor Qri brief you?" She asked.

Both Suzy and I nodded our head.

She sighed, "She kinda has a habit of being a bit forgetful, you know."

At this she gave a sheepish smile.

I rubbed my face suddenly feeling too tired.

CLANK!

I looked up to see a tray of food on the table. I loooked up even higher to find Ann J's red face. Her eyes were watering and for some reason it looked like she was about to cry any minute now.

"Ann J." I called.

She plopped down on her seat.

"Ann J." Suzy whispered.

"How did it go?" Ji Eun asked with a smile.

"He's a MONSTER!" She wailed.


Okay, so here it is.It is double the length of the previous chapter,so hope you my dear readers are satisfied. Also I won't be able to update for the next 2 days, since I have to prepare for my Physics Paper 1. Don't worry readers it'sjust two days,not a few days where I don't even mention how long few is. Hehehe. After that I have month long holiday. We'll be ableto meet daily again Till then, toodles.

And sorry no preview this time.