The Checklist

Art Geeks

It was Monday yet again.

 

Dong Hae had spent most of his Sunday working over Mario’s task and putting together Hyuk’s birthday present, well the fundamental basics of the present. The things he did for Lee Hyuk Jae. Even his Dad came to his room to say that he could not be wasting his youth away like this.

 

Just like all the other Mondays, every student’s expression was sullen and grudging. Dong Hae had a couple of things he needed to do and was going over the list in his mind.

 

Great. Now, I’m going over a list in my mind like a married working woman with kids. Oh gods help me.

 

  1. Confirm which glass pieces are Hyuk Jae’s favourites.
  2. Steal *ahem* borrow Hyuk’s assignment for the weekend for a bit.
  3. That history test that I did NOT study for is today. .
  4. Actually start working on and select prints for the Art Show.

 

Okay to put things into action.

 

Dong Hae approached Hyuk Jae that was just walking down the hallway.

 

“Oh hey! Could you please please please go print my assignment for me? My printer ink ran out this MORNING! Gah. And I need to go… hand… this… in…” Hyuk Jae was gasping and rushing. It did not help that he was carrying his laptop, books and a huge scary skeleton.

 

“What is THAT for?” Dong Hae pointed to the skeleton as he took Hyuk’s computer.

 

“Phew. Bio. Don’t ask. Oh god. I need to get this to Mr. I don’t accept work that is a second late. The computer’s on. The file’s already on the desktop the assignment dated today. THANKS!” Hyuk Jae called as he bolted in the direction of the staffroom.

 

Oh. That was easy.

 

Dong Hae walked with a spring in his steps, thanking Hyuk’s habit of printing things last minute for the first time. At the library, while he printed, he copied the file to his external hard disk.

 

No. 2 check. Okay, I’ve really got to get rid of this checklist thing.

 

Dong Hae headed to the art room as the morning bell rang. All the senior art majors gathers every morning in the oval (as the lecture hall was fittingly nicknamed) to hand in their assignments and discuss what was to be done for the week.

 

He slipped his own assignment into the box labeled “Photography” and put Hyuk’s thick stack into “Glass”. Dong Hae was going to have to do a lot of reading, judging by how small Hyuk’s font was as it was made to fit into the 12 page limit. His own was just 8 pages long. Dong Hae shook his head.

 

As the teachers entered, Dong Hae made his way towards the table that was the silently agreed possession of the Photography students. He said hi to his friends.

 

Hyuk Jae came in wheezing just a minute after all the teachers have collected the assignments and asked the students to settle down. He was scolded by Ga Hee, the unofficial leader of the teachers and later complained for about half an hour as he was chided for being “JUST A FRIGGIN MINUTE LATE!”

 

That one hour session of the usually boring “assembly for the fine arts seniors” was actually useful for Dong Hae. Hyuk Jae did not follow the social rules of High school as he sometimes did not sit with the glass gang. It turned out to be that Monday as Hyuk huffed and puffed while he settled down beside Dong Hae.

 

“Hey, you said you really like that colour fused glass ball thing you made last week right?” Dong Hae asked matter of factly.

 

“Yeah?” Hyuk Jae replied in a hushed tone as Ga Hee started speaking at the front of the class.

 

“Well, I was just wondering…” Dong Hae let it hang. He knew Hyuk Jae would take the bait. Hyuk could go on and on for hours about his favorite works without being nudged. Now that he had been, Dong Hae got ready a pen to noted down the pieces.

 

The colour ball thing

Guitar

Weird coloured(?) vase

Hour glass shaped but a little warped(?)

 

Oh gods bless me if I can recognize the pieces from his description. Well, he doesn’t name them like his friend. If he actually did, all the betty, susan, brian UGH. At least no.1 checked :D

 

Dong Hae’s day was going well as he started to string together a series of relevant prints after the assembly. However, he had too many and he still was not sure what he actually wanted to choose yet.

 

Dong Hae sneaked a glance at the other students. There were some who were already even doing the write ups for the displays but there were some as bad as him. However, that did not solve his problem.

 

It was a mess. There were ballet dancers, teacups, crabs, Hyuk Jae’s glass pieces, Hyuk’s smiling face, Hyuk’s back, Hyuk when they were on vacation together. And he realized that there were so many Lee Hyuk Jae’s that he had taken photos of, even before he came out. The lunch bell rang a while ago. Dong Hae carded both his hands through his black locks in frustration. Finally giving up, he flipped the computer screen down, not even bothering to shut it down, and made his way to the canteen.

 

----

 

“The problem is, I CAN’T DECIDE WHAT TO GO WITH!” Dong Hae exclaimed, exasperated.

 

“Well, if you have a lot of dancers, then just go with dance! It’s fairly exquisite.” Sung Min explained from across the table.

 

“Yeah but FAIR won’t cut it here!”

 

“How about finding something common? Among your favorites I mean? You know my theme for the showcase is ‘Oddballs’ right?” Hyuk piped up.

 

“Hmm. I’ll think about it.” Dong Hae replied, not really wanting to think about the numerous photos of the said helpful person beside him that was supposed to be his bestfriend. HyukJae's mind was really simple. So, he managed to draw connections between the most absurd things and made it work, just like 'Oddballs'. His favourite pieces were things that were warped beyond the norrmalcy range. They really were beautiful. And he simply titled them 'Oddballs' and it was brilliant. The name was simple and catchy. If only Dong Hae could...

 

After lunch, there was the horrible History test that he could not even be bothered to study for. He was well and truly ed. Not in every sense of the word of course. And screw that checklist. Again, not intentionally coming up with lame jokes. .   


Pardon my lame jokes lol. And I hate Mondays.