The non-date

Art Geeks

 

Jay fidgeted as he played with the cup of water on the desk.

 

“Hey!”

 

Jay looked up and saw that it was Sung Min and Kyu Hyun. He was happy to see Kyu Hyun who helped him out a lot in school but his boyfriend Sung Min gave him the creeps really. How can a person like pink so much and flaunt it everywhere.

 

“Hi! What are you doing here?” Jay replied.

 

“Dating of course, what else?” Sung Min did not even give Kyu Hyun the chance to open his mouth. And then when Jay looked at Kyu Hyun, he was nodding along with a dopey smile.

 

“What are you doing here?” Sung Min asked.

 

“Waiting for someone. But he’s not here yet.”

 

“WHAT?! Are you on a date?” Sung Ming exclaimed. Then he turned sharply towards Kyu Hyun and said in a loud whisper, “Haven’t you told him yet? About Hae?” Kyu Hyun looked rightly guilty and shook his head.

 

“Who are you waiting for?” Kyu Hyun finally opened his mouth.

 

“Lee Dong Hae? Do you know him? He goes to your school too.” Jay nodded towards Sung Min.

 

Sung Min’s eyes grew wide and he bounced on his heels.

 

“Yeah I know him! But how did you know him?” Sung Min asked.

“Well, we go to the same photography class.” Jay replied easily. He did not know and did not want to know why there was a manic grin on Sung Min’s face.

 

Kyu Hyun tapped Sung Min on the shoulder and started saying, “But I thought Ha…” He could not complete that sentence however, because Sung Min probably did something to him under the table. He grunted in pain.

 

“Oh! Really? Have a good date! We’ll go now.” Sung Min said brightly and promptly go out of the seat opposite Jay, dragging Kyu Hyun along.

 

Jay nodded, confused by everything happening in front of him. Then realised, “HEY! It’s NOT A DATE!” When everyone in the restaurant turned and looked and him, he realised what he had done. He shrunk down on himself and apologised. Wow. How embarrassing.

 

----

 

“Heya.”

 

Jay looked up from where his head was lying on his folded arms on the table.

 

“Hey! What took you so long?”

 

Dong Hae sheepishly replied, “Sorry, I just fell back asleep. But I’m only ten minutes late! Sorry.”

 

After Dong Hae apologised again and again, they finally ordered their lunch.

 

“Where do you plan to go?” Dong Hae asked between his chewing on the chicken lasagne.

 

Jay chewed finish, wiped his mouth and replied, “I don’t know really. I always get the best photos when I wander around aimlessly. But I was thinking of starting with the park you know?”

 

Dong Hae glowered at him, “Ever the gentlemen. Good manners, good at studying and good at everything. You’re almost perfect. How do you not have a girlfriend?”

 

To that, Jay looked puzzled.

 

Dong Hae said never mind and continued eating.

 

----

 

Sung Min hit Kyu Hyun repeatedly.

 

“Ow, ow , OW! Stop it Min!”

 

“How could you not tell Jay about Hae! I thought I told you to get it done by last week! But may be this might work out. DON’T tell Jay anything. I’ll try to get back my list from Hae and erased Jay. Let them go on like this ok. UGH.”

 

Sung Min hit Kyu Hyun again for good measure.

 

In his bedroom, Hyuk Jae wondered why neither Sung Min nor Dong Hae was replying his messages.

 

----

 

“There!” Jay aimed his camera at a group of children playing in the park.

 

“I don’t get it. I thought your theme was The Human Body? Shouldn’t you be filming a woman?” Dong Hae asked.

 

There was an exasperated sigh from Jay. “Did you not listen to my explanation yesterday? I want to show people that being beautiful is not just about having double eyelids or being thin. And look at the kids! When we were that young, no one was concerned about body shapes were we? Every one was the same and every one played together. I wanted to get that.”

 

Dong Hae realised how wrong he had been about Jay being a stuck up American.

 

“Sorry. There are prejudices to Korean Americans here you know. And I think I just got caught up in that and judged you unfairly.”

 

“Nah, it’s okay. Friends?” Jay put out a hand for Dong Hae to shake.

 

“Friends.” Dong Hae affirmed and shook Jay’s hand with his own.

 

If Jay held on a little longer than necessary, no one had to know.

 

When he got home, Dong Hae was looking through his shots that included an elderly picking up trash and a ballet dancer carrying her point shoes and limping along among many others.

 

Only then he realised that he had not thought of Hyuk Jae the whole day. Strange


Hey guys, thank your for commenting and subscribing! Just to warn you, I wanted to get more in touch with the story so I'll be rereading my original drafts on this fic and then continue. Because I think I lost track of everything. You know, someone's birthday was supposed to happen? haha. But while I'm gone you can go read "Perhaps Love" yeah? Because I'll update that fic regularly. Apologies. So soon after I came back haha. Farewell, for a little while ~