Picnic

Once upon a time... in Neverland

“Naeun, wake up!”

Something or someone was jumping on the bed I was sleeping. I got to bed really late last night, and this morning, right now, I can hardly opened my eyes. I pulled the duvet to cover my face. “Go away.” I grumbled.

A pillow was thrown to me. “Hurry, wake up!”

I slowly gapped my eyes. A blurred vision of a brown creature, jumping up and down appeared. I blinked and rubbed my eyes. “Yumo?”

“Yes, it’s me.” The monkey stopped jumping. “Geez, why is it so hard to wake you up?” He whined.

“Sorry, I slept very late last night.” I smiled.

“It’s okay.” Yumo crawled nearer to me. “Get dress, we’re going out today.” He ambled to the door. “See you at the field okay?” He closed the door to give me some privacy.

I peeked outside the window. The weather was really nice, felt like summer but with snow. Did I mention that here in Neverland, the snow never stopped pouring down from the sky?

Where exactly are we going to? I haven’t got the chance to asked Yumo before.

I brushed my teeth, washed my face and quickly got ready. I put on a short sleeve knee-length floral cotton dress. This was one of Kevin’s handmade too. He’s the master in this. Kevin never failed to impress me with his design.

I left the castle and walked to the field.  They’re already there. Their clothing however, looked more casual. Even for Soohyun and Hoon. They didn’t wear their prince’s attire. Kiseop wore just a simple t-shirt. Dongho was looking cute as ever in his baby blue t-shirt and his red shorts. Kevin, Eli and AJ were also wearing casual clothes. Actually, this was the first time I saw them in this kind of apparel. I never thought Neverland had this kind of clothing – like the one from my place.

In Kevin’s hand was a medium sized basket. It seemed heavy, and Eli was holding a white mat.

“Where are we heading?” I enquired.

“We’re going for a picnic.” Dongho exclaimed while kicking the colourful plastic beach ball with his foot. “At the beach!”

“The beach?” I asked stupidly.

“Yes.” Soohyun answered and mounted the horse-fly. He spread out his hand to me. I grabbed it and he pulled me on to the back of the horse-fly. Kevin was riding the horse-fly with Eli, AJ with Dongho and Hoon was with Kiseop.

We’re flying. Soohyun rode the horse-fly higher than the others. Clouds were touching my skins. It’s not the height that concerned me the most but the fact that I had to grip Soohyun’s waist tighter, causing my heart to race faster. Would he be able to sense the beating of my heart? I’m so closed to him right now.  

Probably you’re wondering why I’m not scared. This wasn’t my first time. Soohyun had taught me before the dragons came, remember? You have no idea how I was when I first got on this magical creature. I thought I was going to die when it started to flew. I was never able to control this animal. Until now, I don’t ever want to ride a horse-fly alone. I prefer walking more than flying.

Eli who was currently flying next to me, said. “Look down.”

Under me was only greenery. It’s so beautiful. If only I can took a picture of it or video tape it. Not long after that, a view of the ocean caught my sight. The blue colour of the ocean was detected by my eyes. This was amazing. My mouth dropped open unconsciously.

“Pretty isn’t it?” Soohyun turned his head to me. I nodded.

“Soohyun hyung, let’s get down.” Dongho said from the other side.

He brought the horse-fly nearer to the ground. He landed smoothly and the others trailed him. The dust from the sand spread around us.

Soohyun dismounted the horse first and then he lent me a hand getting down from the horse-fly. The sand was so smooth. Not to mention it was one clean beach over here. The wave was also not so roughed. But there were no sight of any other people. Only the eight of us were there.    

“Why is there no one here?” I questioned.

Kevin spread the mat that Eli brought earlier. He looked up to me and notify, “This beach is only for the royal family.”

“I see...” I responded.

“So,” AJ clapped his hand once to get our attention. “Who wants to play games?”

“Games?” Hoon frowned.

“Me, me, me!” Dongho raised up his hand into the air.

“How about the volleyball?” Kevin suggested.

I snorted. “How can you play volleyball? We only have this.” I held up the plastic beach ball.

“Not for long.” AJ waved his hand and in a blink of an eye... Puff... There’s a volleyball court complete with the net and the ball. “Who’s gonna be on my team?” He grinned.

They picked up the teams. Since they were eight of us, four will be left out. And it turned out to be me, Kevin, and Hoon. Eli on the other hand was becoming the referee. He even got a whistle. I assumed AJ had magically appeared it for Eli. AJ and Dongho were on the same team and Kiseop was with Soohyun.

“Wait,” Eli held up his hand. “No magic allowed.” He pointed at AJ.

“Why not?” He whined. “Arasseo...”

Soohyun stood behind the restraining line, prepared to serve. All eyes were focused on the ball. Soohyun threw the ball and jumped into the court. Before the fall down, he hit the ball with a strong wrist snap. When AJ saw the ball coming towards him, he got in position quickly. He put his hands together and kept his thumbs down. Once the ball was in his face, he hit the ball on his wrist. The ball bounced back to Soohyun’s and Kiseop’s court. It aimed straight at Kiseop. He instantly slapped the ball to the opponents’ court. It went straight at Dongho. But he just stared at the ball.

“Dongho!” AJ called, snapping him out of his dazed. He panic and positioned himself to slam the ball, he did it but the ball hit the net.

Prrrttt!” Eli blew the whistle.

“Yes!” Soohyun and Kiseop gave themselves a high-five. Soohyun danced in happiness. AJ kicked the sand and glared at Dongho.

Mianhae hyung.” The little boy pouted.

 AJ grinned and patted him on the back. “It’s okay. Let to this again.”

This time AJ served it. He bumped the ball hard and adding sidespin to it made the ball curved and directed to Soohyun. Soohyun jumped forward and hit the ball on his wrist making it bounce passed the net and Dongho caught it. The ball rebounded to Kiseop. Again he did the same thing as before. He bumped it and he managed to let the ball passed the net and hit the ground.

I stood on my knees and applauded. I don’t know why I did that. I automatically felt like I want to cheer for Kiseop. Good thing Kevin was doing the same. It’s however covered me up from looking so obvious that I was cheering for Kiseop. Or the cheer was meant for Soohyun. I’m not sure. Was it for Kiseop or Soohyun? 

 

 


 

 

Hi reader; i'm sorry for disappearing for so long. >.< hope you enjoy this chapter. Do leave comments :)