The Train Trip

My First Love is You

"Hey."

Sungjae walked towards me, and stopped. I felt like my legs were planted in the ground; I just stood there, stunned.
"Hey," I spoke softly. It felt as if my female senses all kicked in at that moment; I never spoke THAT gently to anyone in my whole life. We continued to stare at each other until it became slightly awkward.

"So, how has everything been?" Sungjae smiled at me, and looked down at his feet. I felt like putting my arm around his shoulder and telling him that I've been well these two years. I had also imagined myself telling him that I had missed him, only to have him laughing back at me as if I had told a joke. But, something was holding me back. Was it that I didn't feel like acting friendly to someone whom I had not seen for these past two years?

"I'm just shocked, really!" I laughed, and he laughed with me. Oh, I had missed that laugh of his.
"I didn't know you got into this school too! I mean, not until Jangmi told me the other day."

Jangmi? At that instant, I had finally realised what she tried to hide from me. "So you go to Hanrim Boys High School?"
He nodded, and although I would feel angry from the fact that Jangmi, the friend I had cherished so much in year four, had hid this from me, I was too excited hearing this news. If he went to Hanrim Boys, that would mean that his school was just around the corner. Would we be able to play like we used to again? So many thoughts filled up my mind, and as I glanced back at his face, he had looked genuinely happy too.

The train zoomed past us, and was preparing to stop. The wind had picked up my skirt, but I pulled it down in time. I looked at Sungjae sheepishly, and although he looked half amused, he knew well enough that I did not like being laughed at. He cleared his throat, composed himself and shuffled his stance. But before I knew it, I started bursting out in laughter. Sungjae's confused face had caused me to crack up even more, but soon, he joined in the laughter with me. We stopped soon enough, because the train had stopped, and we had to go our seperate ways. "Oh, that was fun," I said.
"Why did you start laughing in the first place?" Sungjae said angrily, but I could tell he was amused too.
"Your face (laugh), it just looked too serious!" I laughed some more, but realised that I really needed to go. We smiled at each other, and I picked up my bag.

"Well, it was nice seeing you."
"You too."
I stared at him one last time, and turned to leave, but he called out to me. I turned around eagerly, and stared back at his figure.
"See you around?"
I looked down and smiled. "See you around."
And with that, I turned to leave again, boarding the right carriage of the train. He boarded the left carriage of the train, and soon the train sped away.

That whole train trip, he was the only thing on my mind. "Could it be that I still like him?" I had thought, and that reminded me of what Bec had told me in year five. "Sungjae... he liked you." That phrase kept repeating itself in my mind, and it only caused me to wonder even more if he had really liked me back in year four. Of course, I genuinely trusted Bec's word, but I couldn't know for sure if Sungjae had just been joking to her about it. "But the thing is... does he still like me now?" I spoke softly to myself, and sighed. I tried to block what had happened this afternoon out of my mind, but I just simply couldn't. He doesn't even like me anymore... does he?