Meeting Him in the Music Room

My First Love is You
It was in year four when I met my first love...
He was my height, and had deep, chocolate brown eyes that I could stare into all day.
Somehow, I felt like I had always known him, even though we only met for the first time that day.
His name.... his name was Sungjae.

In Year Four

I was quite proud as a young girl as I was one of the best piano players in my class. I did have a friend called Jangmi though who could play piano better than me, not to mention the fact that she was so much smarter. But I was nevertheless a happy and carefree girl. That day when the rain had poured so heavily outside, and I was daydreaming during music class was the day I met my first love.

He sat in the piano next to me, but he sat there quietly playing away, so I had not wanted to disturb him. At that point in time, he had appeared like the quiet and smart kid. You know, like a quiet achiever. That was before I started to hear a strange sound coming from my right. "What was he doing?" I thought to myself. The tune he was playing sounded nothing like the grade 6 pieces he had laid in front of him, but sounded instead like.... a cow mooing?!?

Indeed, that was the second I realised that he was not so quiet and sensible. He was messing with the keyboard and decided to change the instrument from a piano to a cow's mooing machine. He laughed quietly to himself, and then looked over at me, flashing the smile of his that could brighten up anyone's day. He plugged an additional headphone into the keyboard, and placed the headphones over my ears. He then continued to play his 6th grade piece (despite the fact that it all came out as moo's) and we laughed silently in amusement. The original one hour of boring music lesson turned into an hour of mooing, ambulance wailing, other weird unidentified sounds, and the best time we had spent with a person we just met.

As the bell rang, signalling the end of another school day, we took our headphones off, and smiled at each other as we walked down the stairs. "That was the BEST music lesson I ever had," he said, and he laughed while gazing at me. I smiled sweetly back. We stopped at the door. "Hey, what's your name?" I heard from him.
"Minjung," I replied.
"And mine's Sungjae," he said, even though I had not asked myself. From that day onwards though, Sungjae had become my favourite boy name.
It was clear that we did not want to leave all the fun we had behind. We wanted more. I sighed, and turned over to him to bid farewell, until a loud sound made us both jump in shock. "Did you mess up the keyboard again, Sungjae?? Detention, both of you!" bellowed our music teacher, Mr Short.

I felt terrible; I had never been called into detention before. But we eyed each other, and imagined spending a detention session together. Detention has never looked so fun to me. At least not before Sungjae appeared in my life.