Leaving Him, Leaving Her

My First Love is You
This day was another one of those usual days at school. You know, hanging out with friends. Except for the fact that every day of school now would be counting down the my last here. I would be moving to another school at the end of this year. I was busy practicing dance with a group of girls to perform at the talent show, so I hadn't met up with Sungjae for a couple of days. I didn't even realise he had been missing from school these two days, along with my friend Jangmi. "Where were they?" I looked around the class when I finally realised that they had not responded to the teacher's role marking.
And it was not until the next day that I realised that Sungjae and Jangmi had taken a special school's entrance test; a test that was only given out to the smartest in our school so that elite students could move into a good school in years five and six, and hopefully, move onto the elite high schools after. I felt glad that he grew up as an intelligent boy. I had never been the smart one in my class, but thankfully, I was a hard working one. When he came back the next day, I greeted him as cheerfully as I could.
"Yah, I didn't have anyone to play with these two days because you were away!" I joked, and hit him playfully on the shoulder.
"But I was the one who had to sit through hours of testing! Man, it bored me to the core!" Sungjae replied, in the same, cheery tone that he always had when he spoke to his friends. We laughed and headed to class. I met Jangmi on the way up the stairs, and greeted her, but she looked at me angrily, and then ran off.

Coincidentally that day, it was the day for the school photos. We lined up like usual in height order, when I realised that I was lined up one spot before Sungjae. "Hey look, I'm taller than you," I told him, sounding somehow amused.
"Don't try to act so tall, I'm going to outgrow you one day!" Sungjae said, as if he was angry at me. We soon headed into the photo stand, and we had to walk up to the top row. I walked along the top row carefully, trying not to trip. I looked down me. "It looks so scary," I thought to myself. After all, I was scared of heights. And then, the worst happened. I tripped and shut my eyes tight. I surely didn't want to look at where I was going to fall, but
instead of bits of wire and concrete, I fell into someone's arms. A comforting, and familiar pair of arms. "Are you okay?" Sungjae asked worriedly. I nodded, before standing back up and adjusting my position. I felt myself blushing, but quickly snapped back into reality.
I ended up getting moved down onto the second row anyway, because Sungjae had insisted that if I fell on him again, he would be scared to death. I smiled brightly for the photo, thinking of how he caught me, and cared for me so much. I could feel Sungjae smiling behind me, but something told me that he wasn't looking at the camera; he was looking down at me. I felt a wistful pair of eyes stare at the back of my head, and I heard him sigh. Then I heard him shuffle his position, and got ready for the photo.
It was not until I received the photos near the end of the year that I realised. Sungjae didn't look happy at all. His mesmerising smile was replaced with a sad and regretful grin. And, it was not until the end of the year that I realised why. He was going to leave for another school with Jangmi.