His Voice

My First Love is You

[year seven]

Moving into high school was hard, and extremely different. The only thing that kept me going was the fact that I still had one friend with me. Soyoung, whom entered my previous school in year five, just like me, had moved into Hanrim Girls High School. I guess we were really fated to be friends, us two. I had started to get to know some others in my grade, and me, Soyoung, and another two friends would sit together at recess and at lunches. I mean, even if Soyoung and I didn't know them very well, it was a bit more comforting knowing that we had some form of friend other than each other.

The day had come when we would be split into classes. The previous two days had been 'getting to know the school' and 'fun and games'. We hadn't really been able to attend classes yet, and this was the day we were going to start. "Soyoung," the teacher called. She nervously headed down to where the rest of her class was standing, glancing at me worriedly. I knew what she was thinking of course, because I had felt the same. "and lastly, Minyoung."

I sighed in relief and ran quickly to Soyoung's side. She beamed and me, and we headed off to our first class. The teacher had started calling out the names of the students in the next class, and one by one, they rose and assembled on one side. "Jangmi!" I heard as I followed my classmates to our classroom. "Jangmi?" I thought to myself. "She made it into this school too?"

"Minyoung? Minyoung!" I snapped out of my daze, and saw Soyoung staring back at me strangely.
"Huh?" I said, but realised it was a stupid reaction. "I mean, what did you say?"
"I was talking about how excited I was!"

She went on to talk about how all the teachers seemed very nice, but before I knew it, I had dazed off again. Maybe it was just another Jangmi.

[a week later]

This was our first assembly session, and it was different to the other assemblies I had attended in previous schools. The first half would be scripture, where those with religious backgrounds could maintain their religion studies, while those who were not religious stayed in the playground and hung out with friends. At that point in time, I did not have many friends at all. I only really hung out with Soyoung. Because Soyoung is religious, she left for the religion studies class, while I sat alone during the 'play' time. I grabbed a book out of my bag (I had brought it from home specially for this assembly session) and started reading it. The book was just starting to get interesting when a faint call in the distant diverted my attention. "Minyoung!" a voice called out, but it was not Soyoung's. Who could it be then?

I turned around to see a girl standing there, half a head shorter than me, and her skirt stitched up to above her knees. I moved my eyes up to her face, and studied her for half a second. And then I reacted. "Jangmi!" I walked up to her, waving. Although I had been good friends with her in year four, I had grown more shy, and so I did not greet her as happily as she greeted me. "How've you been!"
We conversed for the next ten minutes or so, chatting about what had happened in years five and six. We were cheerful during most of our talk, but then soon, it became awkward. "So," Jangmi started, "did you know?"
"Know what?" I asked curiously. She shifted uncomfortably, and then stared back at me.
"That I liked Sungjae in year four?"
I paused, unable to process that new piece of information. Nevertheless, she continued. "He only thought of me as a friend though. I mean, I had been friends with him for two years before that too. He treated me more as a boy than a girl. I guess I was too tomboy for him." She smiled. She seemed to have gotten over him now.

"But, why suddenly mention him?" I asked. I had been curious of his whereabouts these two years, and I might as well have asked her since she had been in the same school as him previously.
"He... Sungjae moved schools." We both laughed at her response, because I had expected that anyways. Of course he had moved schools, it was high school after all.
"Um... Sungjae -"
The bell cut her off, signalling for us to head to class.
"Well, I'd better go!" Jangmi ran off, throwing her bag over her shoulder, and disappeared around the corner.
Back then, I had thought that she couldn't get the chance to tell me because of the bell, but I finally realise now that it was because she still cared. Jangmi still had some feelings for him, and had not wanted me to know the truth. I, however, was faced with the truth a week later.

[a week later]

The bell signalled the end of school, and I ran with Soyoung to the bus lines. "Why (puff) are you (puff) running so fast??" I asked Soyoung, soundng a bit too tired from all the running. I entered the bus, placed my bus ticket in the slot, and took a seat with Soyoung. "You can't possibly make it for the train without running!" she told me. We ended up having to wait 12 minutes for the train anyway. I punched her playfully. "Hey! You told me we wouldn't make it!"
We both laughed, and walked towards a bench, where we sat on to wait for the train. Since we had so much time left, I had decided to walk along the platform and explore the train station. What fascinated me the most was the escalators that ran from the train station (which was joined to a shopping complex) down onto the train platforms. The walls were made of glass, and it was fun to watch people travel down the escalators. We also bumped into some classmates whom we recognised from class, and after meeting them at the station that particular afternoon, we had decided to take the train with them every morning and afternoon. To school, and from school back home. But the story I want to tell this time is not of how I met new friends at the train platform; this story would be about how I met an old friend. A very precious old friend.

I was walking along the platform on that particular afternoon. I had just come down onto the train platforms via the escalator, and I was looking around for Soyoung. The last class of the day was art; I still clearly remember now because that was the only class I did not have with Soyoung, and so on that particular afternoon, I had not taken the bus with her. I was looking around the platform for Soyoung and my other train friends, when I heard a voice. A voice familiar yet distant; a voice neither high pitched nor deep. It was a voice I had always longed for; one that I had never failed to love. I tilted my head up, and there stood a figure on the escalator step. It moved closer and closer, and our eyes locked for a short instant, even though it felt like eternity. The figure smiled that same smile I had missed so dearly these past few years.

"Hey."

-------------------------------------
Hey guys! I hope you all liked this chappie^^
Unfortunately guys, this chapter is the last of my own little love story^^"
This was the last memory I had with the person I liked (yep, most of this is
actually based on myself) and it was not like something bad happened, it was more like
after this, nothing more happened. TT
If you guys want to see a somehow sad ending though, you're more than welcome to
make your opinion heard on the comments box, and everything from this chapter on
will still be based on my own life story. But this is still young Sungjae and young Minyoung's
sweet love story, right? We don't want to ruin it for them XD
Anyways, please leave comments on whether you've enjoyed this chapter, or maybe
giving your opinions on whether you want a (kind of) sad ending, or happy ending^^
Thanks everyone for your support, and thanks to all my subscribers! ^^
And thanks to BTOB for all the great music you produce:D