Chapter 8

Nobody Knows

"I need to leave" I said quietly; it was barely a whisper. 

"What did you say?!" He shouted as he stomped up the stairs towards me. Fear took over and I started stepping back towards my room.

"I want to leave." I whispered again, unable to shout at the monster in front of me. 

Joonie, help me. Was my last thought before a fist connected with my face and I out.

....

I woke up and all i felt was pain. Was it all a dream? Did i even meet anyone like Joon and Hana? Was it the delusional dream of freedom that created these illusions?

No.

Joon and Hana are still out there, without food, while I'm trapped here. I knew where I was even if I was surrounded by darkness. Its the same place where he always locked me up. I knew all too well that there was no escape once I'm in here, he'd leave me here for days. But I can't stay here anymore, I have to get back to my real family. People that I care about and that care about me.

"HELP!" I shouted as loud as I could. "SOMEBODY HELP ME!" I knew that once he'd hear me he would come and beat me again until i shut up, but I had to do something. I wasn't afraid anymore. I have something to look forward to; to see their faces again.

Joon....Hana... I'll see you again, I swear.

"HELP!" I shouted again and again. I heard loud cursing and footsteps approach the door.

"You little rat!" He said as he opened the door. "What the hell do you think you are doing?!" He came at me and I ducked. Fight! My brain told me but my heart was filled with fear. 'C'mon Mirue you can do anything! I believe in you' Joon's voice echoed through my mind and I stood up. I sprinted to the door before the old man got up and locked it. 

I did it.

I finally trapped him.

My victory soon ended as I heard hysterical laughter from behind the door.

"Silly boy, you think I don't have a spare key?!" He opened the door before I had a chance to run. He punched me square in the face and i fell back smashing into the wall behind me. Stars started to fly around my head when I heard it.

Finally. After years and years I am finally saved.

I heard the door crashing open.

"Step away from the boy!" A policeman shouted at the monster. But he didn't listen he stepped closer towards me with a metal bar in his hands. When the hell did he get that? I thought. "I said STEP AWAY!" He policeman tackled him to the floor while the little stars stopped spinning around my head and i out for the second time that day.

....

When I woke up I was at the hospital and there were three people in the room. Two had suits on while the other was a police officer.

"What's going on?" How long have I been here? Joon. Hana. I quickly sat up and a pain shot through my whole body making me growl.

"Calm down, you're safe." One of the suits came towards me. It was a woman. "Now You've been out cold for the past two days and you've missed a lot. So listen closely." She paused for a minute, " We arrested your father that night, and well I'm not sure how you are going to take this, but he took his own life at the cell he was held at."

Hold on.

"What?" I thought i heard her wrong.

"He's dead." Just like that. I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I felt like i should cry but I didn't want to. I mean he was a monster but I never, NEVER wished for him to die. Even after the countless times that he has beaten me up I never wished bad on him. I just wanted him to leave me alone, he was my father after all.

"I ..I cant believe it." I whispered.

"We will schedule a counselor to you for next week but today we need  you to sign some papers."She said while taking out a stack of papers from her suitcase. "This is the deed to the house, which is now yours. And this is so you can have access to his and you mothers bank account." 

"My mother doesn't have an account she's... dead." 

"She did have one. And in her will it was written that you should have its contents but I guess your father never told you about it." She paused while scanning a sheet of paper. "The total amount you are left with is roughly $60,000" (Decided dollars will be easiest to use)

"Holy cr-" I couldn't finish. Everything was just building up in my mind and I needed to breathe. Something was nagging at the back of my mind and I couldn't concentrate. "JOON!" It's been days! They are probably straving now!

"Oh my god! Please can someone give me a ride to the nearby city?!" I begged them.

"Sure I'm going there anyway." She eyed me carefully, "I'm afraid if I say that you need your rest and shouldn't go, you wouldn't listen to me."

"Sorry" I said with a small smile as I jumped out of bed and grabbed my clothes.

I'm coming back Joonie...