Chapter 1

Nobody Knows

For years and years I've endured this torture. I couldn't take it anymore. I was going to run away even if I had no where else to go. I'd rather die on the streets then die in this house with him torturing me here.

"When are you leaving Mir?" Asked my only friend. Thunder was my best friend for years now, from the day he helped me at school. 

The bully pushed me to the floor and I cried in pain...I was only seven years old.

"Look at this cry baby!" He kicked me, "Such a waste of life!" The older boy had no mercy. It was like the devil itself was possessing him. Or worse, my father. 

"What do you thing you're doing?!" A voice shouted from across the playground.  Two boys ran over to us, to save me. No one ever saved me before.

"I ... I " The bully ran away. He obviously couldn't stand up to two guys at once who appeared to be his age. 

One of the guys streched his hand out to me. "Hey I'm Thunder" His smile was so genuine that I couldn't help but smile too, ignoring my pain.

 "I'm ...Mir" I said, unsure if i should trust him, even though he did just probably saved my life. I wasn't ready to let anyone new into my circle, even if I was the only person in it. "Thanks." I smiled weakly at my hero.

"No problem. How old are you anyways?" He asked me.

"Seven." 

"Oh so you're only two years younger then me!" He smiled cheerfully. "Let's be friends." The other guy eyed him weirdly.

"Thunder, I don't think thats a great idea. I don't feel like hanging out with the bully's target any time soon." I was used to that. Being reject by new people I meet. Even before they got to know me, they disregarded me like I'm nothing. 

"If you dont want to G.O I'm not going to make you." Thunder looked quite hurt by what his friend had said but carried on, "So what do you say little guy? Friends?" 

Not only was this the first time someone had saved me, but it was also the first time I actually made a friend. A real friend. 

Ten years later we are still friends and closer then ever. He was the only one who was aware of my plans. He was the only one that was with me throughout all these years. He tried helping me, but I never let him get to close, I didn't want him to get into trouble. 

"Tomorrow night" I whispered, "I'm leaving tomorrow." The more I said it, the scarier it got. I couldn't believe that my freedom was so close, i could almost touch it.

"Where are you going to go Mir?" He asked me, his face twisted in pain. " I know its for the better, but I don't want to see you go." 

"I dont know Thunder, I really dont know where I am going." I felt sad knowing I was leaving my only friend behind, but I had to do it. " Anywere is better than here".

......

*Tomorrow morning*

I woke up to the sound of bottles crashing. I glanced at the clock - 6am. 

"MIR!" His hoarse voice shouted my name. He must have run out of alcohol again. "COME HERE NOW!"

I quickly jumped out of bed and ran downstairs. It's best not to keep him waiting.

"What took you so long, you brat!" He slapped me. I looked down as a tear escaped my eye. 

"Sorry dad" I whispered.

"Useless. YOU ARE SO USELESS!" He grunted and walked away from me. For a second I was wondering where he went but I didn't dare to lift my eyes from the floor. It seemed like hours passed when a bottle zoomed past my head and hit the wall. "Are you just going to stand there? Fetch me some alcohol!" Another bottle hit the wall behind me. I could feel the air brushing past my ear. I needed to get out now or never. 

I ran upstairs to fetch my bag which, truthfully, I had packed years ago. I've also been saving up my money for so long, but I didn't have a lot. Not a lot at all, I could probably get a weeks worth of food for that much money. 

I ran out the house without looking back. The only thing I was regretting was the fact that I had no way of contacting Thunder to let him know I left earlier. He'll probably be waiting for me. Waiting to say his goodbyes. 

I'm sorry Thunder, I'll miss you. But I have to leave you behind. 

I wanted to forget everything. I wanted to start fresh, but all that waited for me where the cold streets of the city. 

And so my journey for survival began...