Jade

Unpredictable
The next day I act unfazed by last night. Elise pretends I don't exist, which is perfectly fine by me, because I'm doing the same to her. But funnily enough her minions, especially the one that sits next to me, won't stop glaring at me and trying to make my life difficult. As in, shoving her elbow at me so I can't eat properly. Oh please.

During my free time with Jade, she pesters me about that night on the roof, and with a sigh I narrate it again in painstaking detail. One good thing though is that Jade makes a very attentive audience, giving all the right reactions at the right times.

"Alright that's enough about me, what about you eh?" I .

"What? What about me?" she asks innocently. Too innocently, if you ask me. Two can play at that game.

"Oh, nothing... remind me again why you're always cooped up in Lay and Luhan's bedroom?"

"Wha-what are you t-talking ab-b-bout?" she stutters, blushing. "I-I'm not---"

"Don't think I didn't notice your crush on Lay, Jade," I grin cheekily. She flushes red.

"I-I dunno what you're t-talking about."

"Don't lie to me," I laugh. "You are the worst liar I've ever seen."

"What? B-but I-I thought you ha-have a c-crush on L-Lay?" she stammers. I stop in mid-laugh and stare at her.

"What?"

"You and Lay always seem so close together, and I thought---"

"Wait wait wait. You thought I have a crush on Lay?"

"And I think he has a crush on you too?" she adds timidly. I gape at her for a full minute before roaring with laughter.

"No way , Jade. I definitely don't have a thing for Lay, and I'm positive he feels the same! If anything I think he has a crush on you!"

"No he doesn't," she argues, "I'm short and ugly and fat and---" I bonk her lightly on the head.

"Stop demeaning yourself Jade you are gorgeous and Lay knows it. Ask him if you don't believe me."

"Ask who what?" Luhan asks curiously, strolling in.

"N-nothing," Jade chokes. Luhan turns to me.

"I'll tell you later," I say evilly. "Now get out Jade it's time for my lesson," I shoo her, practically pushing her out of the room.

"What got Jade all hot and flustered?" Luhan presses me. I laugh lazily.

"She has a crush on Lay and she refuses to believe he feels the same."

"Lay? Jade? Together? That's impossible!" Luhan cries out. I raise an eyebrow.

"Why? Don't tell me, you've got a thing for Jade too?"

"What? No!" Luhan says quickly. "It's just that Lay wouldn't... he doesn't have the guts to confess, and anyway Jade doesn't seem like his type."

"Wanna bet?" I challenge him.

"Bet on what?" he reacts instantly, a grin spreading across his face.

"How about... I make you your favourite dessert...?"

"Do you even know what my favourite dessert is?" he smirks.

"That's for you to tell me," I grin.

"How about... if you win, I buy you a new guitar?" he offers, knowing how much I love my guitar. I smile, shaking my head.

"Tao got it back for me yesterday," I tell him. His jaw drops.

"Tao?! Since when did he do nice stuff like that?!"

"I don't know either. I'm starting to think I'll never see this rare phenomenon again," I laugh. "So thanks but no thanks. I appreciate the thought though." Luhan looks at me weirdly. "What?"

"Nothing," he shakes his head, smiling slightly. "Then... if I win, can I borrow your guitar?" He sees the look on my face and adds hastily, "for one night only!"

"What do you need my guitar for? I didn't know you could play it."

"Um, it's a secret," he says firmly.

"Tell me."

"It's a secret," he insists. I look at him long and hard.

"Fine, but I'm gonna win anyway," I smirk. He acts hurt. "I'm not talking to you," he sniffles.

"Then I guess we can just cancel this lesson...?" I get up.

"Nonononono, stay," Luhan says quickly. I laugh.

First aid lesson with Lay is the same as always, the two of us playing video games like there's no tomorrow. Then as we're in the middle of a race...

"Hey Lay," I say all of a sudden, glancing at him.

"Yeah?" his eyes are still glued at the screen.

"Do you have a crush on Jade?"

His car swerves suddenly and almost falls off the cliff. I glance at him out of the corner of my eye and he's blushing red. "What?!" he gasps. "No!"

"Don't lie to me, Lay," I giggle. "I see the way you look at her." My car flies across the finishing line and he sighs in defeat.

"Even so, she doesn't like me," he mumbles.

"How can you be sure, eh?" He looks at me with wide eyes.

"Are you saying...?"

"I'm just saying that a person shouldn't make assumptions and give up before even trying, that's all," I smile knowingly. A pause.

"Imma find Jade," he blurts out and rushes out of the room.

When it's time for Tao's lesson my heart starts thumping. In embarrassment at the memory of yesterday? In dread? I don't know but I'm confused. Yes it was embarrassing but what is there to dread?

I'm early, as usual, but Tao arrives within minutes.

"I see you can now control time consciously?" He asks me immediately. I snap to attention.

"Yes, but I'm not sure whether I can do it again."

"Try." His voice is crisp, concise, devoid of emotion, like usual.

I look for something moving, and my eyes are drawn to the hands on my watch. I stare at the ticking second hand and I force it with my mind to stop moving. I squint at it and after a few moments, it stops and I look up at Tao. He nods.

"Good work." I can't resist smiling.

"How come you're not affected?"

"Because I can also control time. Time manipulators are independent, separated from the timeline." He unstops time. "Stop this," he instructs, throwing a knife up. I manage to stop it just in time.

"When will I be able to go back and forth in time?" I ask, throwing the knife back at him.

"Never." He catches it.

"Why?"

"I won't teach you."

"Why not?"

"You're not supposed to."

"Why not?"

"Don't ask."

"But why---" he stops me with a glare.

"You cannot tamper with the course of time. Stopping time is alright but you cannot--- you must not--- time travel. The temptation to change the course of history, or to change the present in order to change the future, is too great. You cannot possibly know the consequences. They could be disastrous."

"But yesterday--- didn't you go back---"

"Then maybe I shouldn't have," he says coldly. "We're done for today." And he stalks out of the room. I stare at his retreating back. What was that all about?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AYO TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL. What's got Tao so angry eh? I don't know xD Cat's gonna kill me x)