Night

Unpredictable

By the time we finish dinner, I feel like I've been here for a week instead of just one day. Miraculously Elise face hasn't even tried to pick a fight with me. I suspect it's because I not-so-subtly called her fat during lunch. She's so self-conscious. Heehee.

"Adrienne, come in here," Tao calls from his room. He sounds angry. Ack. What now.

"Coming," I shout. Apparently he rooms with Kris and their room is right opposite mine.

"We need to set your schedule, Adrienne," he says without looking up as I enter.

"What's up with the schedules?" I ask curiously.

"Everyone has a different schedule so that they can train efficiently. We will need to make one for you. Kris has given me everybody's schedules, so we can plan easier and make sure there is no time clash." Wow, Kris was right about the academy thing. This is just like school. Ugh.

"What subjects are there?" I ask tiredly. "Apart from your power training, there is combat, shooting, first aid, teamwork, weaponry, and specialised weaponry. There is also ample free time for you to do whatever you want," he adds. Eh? Free time? I brighten up at the mention of the words. But wait...

"What do you mean by teamwork?" I eye him warily.

"Once a week, all of us will work together in a stimulated environment to practice our teamwork and coordination."

"All of us? You mean all--- what, 11 of us?"

"Precisely."

Holy crap," I mumble, running my fingers through my hair. That means working with Elise face and her zombies, ugh. "Am I allowed to kill people?" I ask hopefully. Tao seems to know what I'm really asking.

"No, you are not allowed to kill--- or even injure--- teammates. You will be severely punished if you do."

"Whaaaaat," I moan. "No fair." But hey, on second thought, that means I can work together with Kris--- what. Adrienne what are you thinking.

"No use complaining about something you cannot change," he says disapprovingly. "Better to be mature and put up with it." Much as I'd hate to admit it, he's right. I sigh. "You will train combat with me and Luhan, shooting with Chen and Xiumin, first aid with Lay, and weaponry with Chen, Kris, and me. Questions?"

"Yeah, what about specialised weaponry? What's that?"

"We will have to see if you have a talent for a certain weapon. Some do, some don't."

"Who does?"

"Well, Chen, Kris, me and Elise."

"Elise?" she has a talent? "For what?"

"Swordfighting. She is remarkable in that."

"What about you?"

"The same." Damn, please don't let that be my talent too. I'd rather not have one, like the others.

After half an hour or so, we draft up a schedule. I purposely set my free time so that I won't have the same free time as Elise face, and share some with Jade.

"You finishing up your schedule?" Kris asks as he walks in, making me jump.

"Uh, yeah. What're you doing here?" He looks at me strangely.

"This is my room, Adrienne."

"Oh, right," I reply bashfully. How could I have forgotten? "So I'll be going now...?" I look at Tao. He nods. "Kay bye!" I dart back into my room.

Then I realise what I just did. I freaking asked Tao for permission to leave. What am I, a servant? I can't believe I did that. That's so unlike me. Especially when you consider how all the teachers in my school used to hate me because I never listened to anybody.

 

That night, I can't sleep. I don't know why. I've unpacked everything, so the room feels a bit like home already. And I'm not worried or anything. I suspect I'm still a bit hyper. I know I won't be sleeping any time soon, so I decide to get out of the room. Then I remember the roof. I know Kris said it's locked, but I know something he doesn't. I can pick locks. And I've got a skeleton key that fits into virtually every lock. So I decide to sneak my guitar up and play to myself.

I carry my guitar on my back and skeleton key in my pocket as I tiptoe towards the staircase. Thank god it's in the opposite direction of the bedrooms. I think I can hear snoring, and I giggle quietly and wonder whose it is. Silently, like a ninja, I creep up the stairs until I reach the rooftop door. Softly, I insert my key in it and hold my breath as I turn it ever so slowly. It opens with a quiet click and the door swings open.

I breathe in the cool, fresh night air as I close the door behind me. Ahhhhhh. I sit near the edge--- not too close, but close--- on the floor and close my eyes, feeling the soft night wind blowing through my short hair. I breathe in deeply, and I can smell a trace of nature in it--- my favourite smell, a mixture of freshly turned earth, grass, and just the slightest hint of sweetness of wildflowers.

I sit like that for a few minutes before opening my eyes to see the full moon above and the scatter of bright stars around it. It's so peaceful. I haven't done this in ages, sneaking my guitar up to the roof in the dead of night, with just the moon and the stars for company, ever since my parents died and I had to make a living for myself. I shake my head to clear my mind of these thoughts. Really, this is making me depressed, and I didn't get up here to be depressed.

I take my guitar out from its bag and play random songs, singing softly to myself, until I feel sleepy. By then, it's already past 3 am. Only then do I leave the roof with my guitar on my back, albeit a bit reluctant, making sure I've locked the door, and tiptoe back into my room where I collapse on the bed and fall quickly asleep.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kinda boring chapter, but I didn't know how else to introduce the schedule and god-knows-what.... >:D you'll see in a few chapters. muahahahahaaaa

@CatAttack1020: maybe they will, maybe they won't..... >:D heehee