Too Familiar

Memories

 

            There were some things Sehun never would never forget.

 

            Sehun had been taking a day off, resting his sprained ankle. Luhan had gone to the studio by himself, but he was a fairly decent driver, so Sehun wasn’t too worried. Jongin would be giving dance lessons in Sehun’s place that day, so Luhan had some company. And Sehun had company of his own. Yixing had come over, partly to eat their food, partly to fiddle with Luhan’s rubix cube to see if it was any different from a normal cube. Sehun had to bite his lip to stop from laughing as Yixing failed again and again to solve even one side of the small cube.

            Sehun glanced at the clock to see that it was almost five. Luhan and Jongin were supposed to be back by five thirty. He got up, carefully to not jostle his ankle, and limped to the kitchen to see what was left after Yixing raided it.

            Predictably, there was nothing edible. Sehun rolled his eyes and went back to the living room to find his phone to order something.

            He had been walking in circles around the room, hoping the phone would magically ring, when it actually did.

            Yixing scooped it up and tossed it to Sehun, who answered it immediately.

            “Hello?”

            “May I speak to Mr. Oh Sehun?”

            “This is he.”

            “Mr. Oh, are you familiar with a man named Lu Han?”

            Sehun frowned.

            “Yes. I am.”

            “Where is your current location?”

            Sehun rattled off the address of their apartment.

            The person’s voice shook.

            “Is it possible for you to come outside?”

            “Outside?”

            “Yes.”

            Sehun was about to hang up when he heard the person say, “I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry.”

            The line went dead, leaving Sehun to stare at the phone.

            Yixing looked up.

            “Who was it?”

            “I don’t know, but apparently we have to go outside.”

            “Outside?”

            Sehun shrugged lightly, but there was a sense of foreboding in the pit of his stomach.

 

            The elevator ride down to the ground floor was excruciatingly long. The last time Sehun had taken such a long elevator trip was…

            when Luhan hyung had to go to the hospital because of the tumor.

 

            Sehun pushed the thought out of his mind and took out his frustration on the elevator button instead. Yixing caught his wrist.

            “Hey. Calm down.”

            Sehun wanted to snap at him, but he knew that the elder was right.

 

            Outside, it was dark and raining. Sehun frowned. It hadn’t been like this earlier that day.

            Right in front of the apartment complex, there was a crowd of people surrounding a place on the middle of the street. There were a couple of police cars, and one non-police car. Sehun recognized it immediately as his and Luhan’s car. He went over, expecting Luhan to be somewhere near the car, but was greeted by Jongin instead.

 

            At first, Sehun though it had been the rain, but it hadn’t been.

            There were tears streaming down Jongin’s face. His hair was plastered to his head from the rain, and his eyes were red and puffy.

            Sehun grabbed him and shook him, a little rougher than he meant to.

            “What happened? Where’s Luhan?”

            Jongin didn’t say anything, but the look in his eyes told Sehun everything he needed to know.

 

            No. No. NO.

           

            Sehun ran to the mob of people, forgetting the pain in his ankle. He fought through the crowd and somehow got the front.

            There was a body being loaded onto the ambulance, which had just arrived.

            The body was familiar.

            Too familiar.

 

            Yixing told him later that Sehun had screamed. There had been words mixed in with the screams, but Sehun didn’t remember.

            All he remembered was the small, pale body being place on a stretcher and onto the ambulance. The tiny face, now covered in blood from the fresh cut on his temple.

           

            In the end, Jongin was the one to tell him what had happened. He and Luhan had finished their training for the day, and were going home. Jongin had had to go pick up some groceries, so he dropped Luhan off at the apartment, thinking that the elder would take the elevator upstairs. But he hadn’t. For some reason, he had attempted to cross the street, when a truck had appeared out of nowhere and hit him.

            Jongin said that it was a hit-and-run, and the police later tracked down the guilty driver and his truck. Jongin had seen the whole thing happen. Luhan had tried to cross only about ten seconds after Jongin dropped him off.

            “Why didn’t he tell me he was going somewhere? I could’ve driven him there instead, and none of this had happened. None of it.”

            A part of Sehun, a part that he wasn’t proud of, blamed Jongin for it. But he knew that Jongin wouldn’t have been able to prevent anything.

            So when Jongin started pulling his hair, sobbing, Sehun reached over and gently untangled his hands from his hair.

            “It’s not your fault.”

            It didn’t stop either of them from crying.

 

            They were at a different hospital. The doctors here were more straightforward. They didn’t sugarcoat anything.

            Luhan was to have multiple surgeries to repair broken bones, for stitches, to remove embedded glass and asphalt, etc.

            Sehun begged the doctor to fix him. The doctor had merely said, “Tell that to the surgeon,” but before he turned his face, Sehun caught a flash of something shiny in the doctor’s eye.

 

            Luhan had the worst luck in the world, sort of.

            After surviving two brain tumors, he was hit by a truck, but he didn’t die immediately, like most people should have.

            “Maybe he’s immortal,” was what Chanyeol said.

            Baekhyun didn’t say anything, just gave Sehun a hug, the younger’s hair.

           

            All of the surgeries were somehow successful. But there was a catch.

            Luhan’s spine had broken upon collision, and he would be paralyzed for the rest of his life.

            All the doctor said was that Luhan might regain use of his upper body, might not.

            Joonmyun had been there for Sehun when they received the news. Sehun squeezed the elder’s hand hard enough to draw blood, leaving half-moon shaped scars.

 

            Yixing stayed with Sehun for a while, and eventually moved in to keep the younger company.

           

            Luhan had only been 43 years old.

 

            10 years. They had had 10 years together.

            It wasn’t enough.

 

            Luhan started to regain control of his upper body when he was 50. The past 7 years he had lain in the bed, blinking every once in a while. He couldn’t move any of his muscles. His face was frozen in an expressionless mask. Most of the time, his face wasn’t even entirely visible due to the oxygen mask.

            There was nothing Sehun wanted more than to see him smile.

 

            It was Sehun’s 47th birthday, and he had gone to see Luhan.

            Sehun was a businessman in the advertisement industry now. But as busy as his schedule was, he never failed to visit Luhan every day.

            Sehun never married.

            He was already married in his heart.

 

            Sehun had grasped Luhan’s hand, it, feeling the familiar bones under the soft skin. Usually, Luhan would just lay there, unresponsive.

            But today, his arm twitched, followed by his finger. Sehun stared at him for a good five minutes before running to find a doctor.

           

            Luhan was moving almost his entire left arm approximately a week later on his 51st birthday. The next month, his right arm was moving.

            By the time he turned 52, he had somehow regained control of his entire upper body.

            It was a miracle, the doctors said. They had never seen something like this before.

            Luhan didn’t say anything, he just smiled a little.

 

            Sehun was granted permission to take Luhan home right before he turned 53. Luhan’s lower body was still paralyzed, so Sehun pushed him in a wheelchair.

            Luhan never said it specifically, but Sehun could tell that the elder loved wheelchair rides.

            53 years old, and still a child.

 

            Sehun pushed Luhan in through the front door, pausing to close it behind them.

            “I never thought I’d see this place again.”

            “I never thought I’d see you smile again.”

            Luhan turned his head to smile at Sehun. Sehun felt a burst of warmth in his chest. Only Luhan would ever have an effect like this on him.

           

            After a small disagreement, Sehun agreed to place Luhan on the bed, because Luhan ‘wasn’t hungry’.   

            Luhan seemed comfortable on the cushy bed, his head sinking in a fat pillow. Sehun lay next to him, finding the elder’s hand with his own.

 

            Yixing was the one who came to check up on Luhan every day.

            Sehun and Luhan had laughed, saying, “There are benefits to having a doctor as a close friend.”

            Yixing rolled his eyes and proceeded to lecture them on the proper way Luhan should be treated.

            “But you’re still living here, so you can just help us around.”

            Yixing sniffed. “For free?”

            Luhan pouted.

            53 years old, and the pout still worked. Yixing worked for them for free.    

 

 

            But life didn’t last forever.

 

            Sehun had been in a meeting when his phone started vibrating in his pocket. He had excused himself and left, seeing that the caller was Yixing.

            “Get to the hospital. Now.”

            Sehun nearly ran out the building and into his car to get there as quickly as possible. By the time he was at the hospital, he felt his sense of dread reach an alarming level.

            Luhan hadn’t woken up that morning, after Sehun left for work. He was breathing, but just barely. The doctors were doing everything they could, and right now, they were sticking multiple tubes into Luhan.

            Yixing said that this could help save him, so Sehun shut his mouth and watched, trying not to let his panic overwhelm him.

 

            The tubes weren’t enough. They were losing him.

 

            Eventually, the head doctor sadly took off his mask.

            “You can have a couple moments with him.”

            The doctors all left, and Sehun ran into the hospital room, reaching for Luhan’s hand. It was cool, almost cold. Sehun could feel a heartbeat, but it was faint. Fluttering. Like it could stop any moment.

 

            Luhan shouldn’t have been able to talk, but he did.

            Sehun had leaned forward, pressing his lips to the elder’s forehead, murmuring words of love, when Luhan opened his eyes. They were dizzily unfocused, but his grip on Sehun’s hands was strong.

            “Sehun-ah? Sehun-ah?”

            “I’m here, hyung. I’m always here for you. Always.”

            Sehun felt a tear run down his cheek.

            Luhan put his hand on Sehun’s face, caressing it gently.

            “I love you.”

            Sehun opened his mouth.

            “I…I…”

            Luhan’s hand was limp. His eyes glassy.

           

            And everything went black.


 

A/N:

I MAY HAVE JUST DIED FROM HUNHAN FEELS

MY 100% EXO BLOG IS HERE

also, I have a new story ◕‿◕

Suho centric, with other people ;D and it's right here

 

I may disappear for a week or so, because finals are coming up /hits head on desk

thank you all SO MUCH for reading and subscribing and commenting and EVERYTHING.

I LOVE YOU ALL