Other Dreams

Memories

 

            Sehun and Luhan’s relationship was perfect in an imperfect way. They were so inexperienced in dating, and yet, they knew they were in love. After all, if this wasn’t love, what was?

            Their first kiss had happened when Luhan was 21 and Sehun was 17.

            Luhan’s relapse in cancer had happened when he was 22 and Sehun was 18.

            Rehabilitation had ended when Luhan was 23 and Sehun was 19.

            Their first concert had happened when Luhan was 24 and Sehun was 20.

            Their EXO years had lasted until Luhan was 29 and Sehun was 25.

            They moved out of the dorm, and on with their lives. But Luhan stuck with Sehun, and they eventually found a small apartment and signed the lease with both of their names, agreeing to split the cost of rent.

            Minseok had left for the army not soon after, followed by Joonmyun. Soon, Jongdae, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol had all enlisted. Jongin and Kyungsoo left before Minseok and Joonmyun returned, leaving Sehun to be the last one to enlist.

 

            The rest of the Chinese members were scattered around the world, pursuing their other dreams now, having fulfilled their original dream of stardom.

            When Sehun asked Luhan why he didn’t travel like them, Luhan hadn’t answered right away. Sehun all but forgot until about two weeks later, when Luhan surprised him when he came home from the studio, where he had been training the new trainees.

 

            “Surprise!!!”

            “What?”

            Luhan laughed and threw confetti in the air, some of it settling in their hair.

            “What is this?” Sehun looked around to see that Luhan had decorated the living room with streamers, and there were balloons scattered everywhere. The whole place was covered with confetti and glitter, giving it a shimmery, surreal look. There was even a little strawberry cake on the coffee table. Along with two bubble teas; chocolate and taro. Just like old times.

            “Remember when you asked me when I didn’t travel?”

            “Yeah.”

            “Well at first I was going to. I wanted to travel the world. I wanted to see Rome, Cairo, Chicago, Vancouver, Paris, London, Sydney, everywhere. And I really was going to leave. But then I couldn’t. Because I would be leaving you behind, and I can’t do that. I can’t do that because you are my dream now, Sehun-ah. My new dream. And as long as we’re together, anywhere will be heaven*.”

            In any other situation, the quote from Into Your World would have been ridiculously cheesy and Sehun would have smacked Luhan for it.

            But right then, right there, it was perfect.

            Luhan smiled hesitantly. “I love you, Oh Sehun.”

            “I love you, Luhan hyung.”

            Luhan stepped forward and met Sehun’s lips with his, tilting his head back slightly to accommodate for Sehun’s height.

 

            They had been lying on their balcony parallel to each other, gazing at the stars when Luhan suddenly said, “Did you know that gay marriage is illegal in South Korea?”

            Sehun didn’t look at him. “Yeah. I know.”

            “It’s illegal in Chinatoo.”

            “I know.”

            “I wish it wasn’t.”

            Sehun turned his head to see Luhan looking at him, and watched as a tear fell from one of the elder’s eyes. Impulsively, Sehun reached out and brushed it away, feeling the softness of Luhan’s cheek under his thumb. 30 years old and still looked like a teenager.

            Sehun pressed his forehead to Luhan’s, and whispered, “It doesn’t matter. It wouldn’t change anything.”

            Luhan smiled, but his eyes glimmered with unshed tears. When he shut his eye, another tear fell. Sehun leaned forward and kissed his closed eyelid, feeling the wetness on his lips.

 

            Sehun knew he had to enlist sooner or later. And the sooner he went, the sooner he would be back. So when Minseok and Joonmyun were discharged, he had them sign the lease in his place. After all, it was a three-bedroom apartment. Luhan and Sehun had only been using one anyway.

            Sehun left for the army four weeks after Luhan turned 31. Luhan had cried all night two days before, but there weren’t any tears the last night. Just whispers against their lips between kisses, promising each other that they would have their forever.

            Luhan was the last thing Sehun saw before leaving.

 

            Two years later, there was only his family to greet him.

 

Sehun couldn’t squash that feeling of disappointment, and went back the apartment he had once shared with Luhan, his heart heavy.

            He was greeted by an overload of noise from multiple people, all yelling the same thing: “Welcome back Sehun-ah!”

            All eleven of his hyungs were there, all wearing a ridiculous party hat of some sort, and there was an enormous cake on the table, with “Welcome Back” iced on top of it. There was even a heart of strawberries on it, dainty and perfect.

            All eleven of his hyungs were there, and while Sehun loved all of them, he loved one of them more. And that one was hiding in the back, his cheeks red. 33 years old, and he still blushed like a child.

            “Luhan hyung! Why are you hiding from me? Didn’t you miss me?”

            Sehun pouted, and Luhan laughed.

            “Of course I didn’t miss you. How could I miss you? You were the most annoying boyfriend ever, always making me buy bubble tea and cook and do the chores and go grocery shopping and yes I missed you so much I missed you every single day and I hate you forever and I love you and just come here and give me a hug.

            Sehun wrapped his arms around him, pulling him close, Luhan’s hair tickling his cheek. The elder buried his face in Sehun’s neck, and Sehun could feel his tears, wet on his collarbone.

            “I missed you.”

            “I missed you too.”

            Luhan pressed his lips to Sehun’s and for a moment, everything was perfect.

 

            Until Sehun turned to see Tao eating the strawberries off of the cake.

            “Tao!”

            Tao jumped in surprise. “I couldn’t help it! Strawberries are so good!”

            “You could’ve left at least one for me!”

            “Oh. Right. Um. Sorry?”

            Sehun rolled his eyes, but couldn’t help but laughing at Tao’s face. That guy really loved his strawberries.

            And cake.

            Tao really really loved cake. As was evident by the four pieces he managed to consume that night. The pieces weren’t small, either. Wu Fan was the one that cut the pieces, and he could never resist giving Tao cake.

            Joonmyun sank onto the couch next to Sehun.

            “So I’m assuming this means that Minseok and I are moving out?”

            “Unless you want to live with us. Which I don’t think you do.”

            “We’ll move out.” Minseok and Joonmyun were unanimous in that decision.

           

            Luhan rested his head on Sehun’s shoulder, smiling contently. They watched Kyungsoo and Minseok cook on the grill that was set up on the balcony, and Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Tao sneak bites of the meat. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, but couldn’t say no to them.

            Jongin was still playing video games, right now against Joonmyun, Jongdae, and Wu Fan. And of course, Jongin was winning. By a lot.

            Yixing was fiddling with Luhan’s rubix cube, still figuring out how to solve it. No matter how many times Luhan taught him the basics, he could never solve the cube.

            Some things just didn’t change.

 

            After they had eaten, Wu Fan was the first to pull a bottle of soju out. Sehun hadn’t seen it before, but he decided not to question it. They were talking, laughing about old times, when Chanyeol moved to sit on the couch, next to Sehun.

            “So how does home feel, Sehun-ah?”

            “Amazing. I haven’t had real food in two years.”

            Chanyeol laughed. “I know the feeling.”
            They were silent for a minute before Chanyeol opened his mouth again.

            “Sehun? I…uh. I wanted to thank you.”

            Sehun stared at him. “For what?”

            Chanyeol chewed on his lip. “For, you know, coming out. With Luhan hyung.”

            Sehun followed Chanyeol’s line of sight, and eventually saw that he was looking at Baekhyun.

 

            Oh. Ohhhh. Of course.

 

            Sehun wondered how he hadn’t seen it before. Chanyeol and Baekhyun had always been close, and they had hit it off from the beginning. Sehun hadn’t actually talked to Baekhyun until about two weeks after Baekhyun became a trainee because Chanyeol had always been with him.

            “He opened up a lot after you guys.”

            Sehun turned to see Chanyeol still looking at Baekhyun.

            “After we…”

            “At first, he was really kind of distant. He wouldn’t talk about himself, or about his feelings, or anything like that. And then you and Luhan hyung happened. After that, he started talking more. About himself, about the future. And eventually he accepted it. Me, I mean. Accepted me.”

            Baekhyun was laughing at something Luhan said, and Sehun could see why Chanyeol loved him.

 

            They ended up all passing out in the living room a couple hours after that. Even though he was sure that he had fallen asleep on the couch, Sehun woke up in his room the next morning. He sat up, and winced at the jolt of pain that shot through his head. He was glad that he had had only a couple of glasses of soju the night before.

            Sehun moved to get out of bed when a soft hand latched onto his arm and pulled him back. Luhan had been in the bed too, but he was almost completely hidden beneath the blankets and pillows. Sehun laughed, seeing Luhan’s little face poke out between the puffy objects.

            “Sehunnie, stay with me for a little while.”

            Sehun couldn’t refuse him when he was like this. So he snuggled under the blankets and let Luhan bury his head into his chest. The silence was broken by Luhan.

            “I had a dream last night.”

            “What dream?”

            “Actually, I’ve had this dream before.”

            “Are you going to tell me?”

            “It’s always really dark. And raining. I’m waiting outside with an umbrella, because you were supposed to meet me or something, and then I look up, and you’re standing across the street. When I wave, you wave back, and I see you smile. And then you try to run across the road. But you never make it.”

            Sehun stared at him.

            “What do you mean?”

            “This big truck always hits you, and the driver always says, ‘This is your fault’ and drives away.”

            Sehun realized that even though his voice was steady, Luhan was trembling, and his nails were digging into Sehun’s side deeper than was comfortable.

            “Hyung, it’s just a dream. Don’t let it bother you. And I’m not stupid enough to run across a street when it’s raining without looking both ways.”

            “I don’t know Sehun-ah. You’re pretty stupid.”

            Sehun pushed Luhan away, but Luhan clung to him.

            “Sehun-ah?”

            “Yes, hyung?”

            “Are you afraid of being alone?”

            Sehun was silent.
            “If this is still about the dream–“

            “Of course it is.”

            “–forget about it then. Just forget about the dream. It’s nothing.”

            Luhan’s eyes were big, and sad.

            “Are you sure?”

            Sehun pressed his lips to Luhan’s forehead.

            “Yeah. I’m sure.”

 

            Wu Fan’s hangover wasn’t as bad as they had expected it to be. Kyungsoo was even functional enough to cook. Jongin just slept through the whole thing, and everyone knew to leave him alone when he was sleeping. Besides, it was quieter without him. Chanyeol and Baekhyun had already left, and because they only lived two blocks away, Sehun wasn’t worried about them. He could check up on them later.

            Right now, he was with Luhan. And nothing was more important than that.

 

            For years, it was the two of them. They would both work at the studio, Sehun giving dance lessons, Luhan giving vocal lessons. They would get bubble tea from the same shop they would always get bubble tea at. They would take walks in the park, and Luhan would fall asleep every once in a while, head resting on Sehun’s shoulder. They would have their childish moments, their romantic moments. They were living their forever. With each other.

 

            Until Sehun received the phone call.


 

 

*EXO: Angel (Into Your World)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwnmS6K2mlI

 

A/N: 

-more fluff

-a;sdklfjasd;lk

-get ready for some angst

-/flops in feels

-/flops

THANKS FOR READING I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH