Chapter 26

Nightingale (2008/2011)
Please log in to read the full chapter

“ing frog-eyed alien.”

The given name of which unknown vampire had kindly delayed their escape from the classroom simply stood between them and the door without saying a word. Why Taemin didn’t just blast right past him was beyond Key’s intellect (for the time being--if he could help it); he senses there is something behind the way the stranger stared. Something inhumane.

The second the metal doors started to slink open, Key fit himself through and ran dawn the polished marble to the Observatory. He heaved at the heavy glass door and yelled for presence. The lights flicked on and no one inside.

“!” he cursed, balling his fists and rushing back.

Taemin didn’t need any ability to hear Key’s crushed hope and slammed his hand into the compartment wall. Abby jumped and bit harder on her fingernails. Neither told her what was going on but even she didn’t need to read any minds to know it was Bea who they were looking for. She was worried, not meeting Yoseob outside of class and now figuring that Bea never showed up to homeroom. Something is definitely wrong.

Key huffed getting back into the elevator and they rode it down to Lobby level. They had scouted the entire perimeter in less than twenty minutes, yet no sign of the missing students.

“ing frog-eyed alien.” Key repeated as they headed toward the dining hall exit once more. Who is he anyway? Key has never seen him before.

The tall student hadn’t said a word, just stoodwith a calm expression in front of the sliding homeroom door and waited precisely seven minutes before stepping aside. Why Taemin didn’t just shove him out of the way like a boss? Key is half determined to find out.

Now as they search, Taemin regretted promising Jonghyun that he wouldn’t harm Minho. What a foolish word of mouth contract he made, but it kept Abigail safe and he needed her to watch over Key.

“What do we do now?” Key asked when they met up again near the fountain with no results.

“No one I read has seen her.” Abby fidgeted in her spot next to him. No one had seen Yoseob either. It’s not like him to skip class.

The darkness of night prevented tracks from being spotted by the eyed, were anyone to stay indoors and look out the window, they wouldn’t spot the three bodies standing in a semi-circle beside the fountain. Two faced the blonde in the center, who held an arm across his chest, bent at the elbow and holding the soft skin under his chin.

Taemin gazed at the glimmer deprived sky with bitter resentment. His friendship with Jonghyun didn’t go downhill till after Onew, when it was clear that their competition was getting out of hand.

It used to be a time consuming activity, just for fun, but then it started to get too easy. It became almost an effortless task to manipulate humans and the prize of seduction didn’t seem as fascinating anymore.

When Jonghyun announced a way to make the Game more of a challenge, Taemin didn’t even blink. It started by raising the level of seduction to a more challenging mind. Fellow society that is--not just humans. But even that became relevant and the stakes were raised again.

Jonghyun opted with the idea of winning to be more rewarding than just a plain old seduction and they challenged each other with seducing and successfully drawing blood from other vampires. Then the idea of blood came into play and, well, what is better than fresh from the source?

The rules were rewritten--verbally.

The Target: Homosapiens.

The reward: A hot meal and a rush of adrenaline from breaking the Law of the High Council.

Attacking or feeding off humans for survival is prohibited. As is mating or conversing. The Elder’s of the High Council have ruled long enough to forge peace with the leaders of human nations.

The understanding: Humans will not hunt Vampires and vice versa.

Simple enough, human children think bloodsuckers refer to leeches and ticks, or ‘ol wives tales; Young vampires are told of the dangers of revealing their identities to humans and the consequences could be as harsh as death.

Didn’t stop Jonghyun though.

Onew was the fifth Target of the brand new Blood Game. Jonghyun won every one before him, each victim dry. This isn’t some kiddie tale, it’s not taboo to kill while drinking; it is, however, forbidden to let a human live once they’ve been bitten.  It’s another Law passed by the High Council. Fellow vamps are a different story, it’s common to have a host--or slave if you will--to drink from regularly.

When Taemin took pity on Onew and convinced the human to turn into a hybrid, it never occurred to him that Onew wouldn’t be the only one changing. But it was the only way to win the Game and not kill a human--which would surely land him in a Hearing. Not fun.

Masking Onew’s genetic scent had taken more out of him than he anticipated. Taemin had only ever heard of the transformation as a part of his Guardian studies; books have nothing on the actual experience.

That’s what Taemin did, hence Jinki, Jonghyun could no longer pin-point the human scent, therefore forfeited and gave Taemin his first win.

Then Kibum happened.

**Flashback**

The Elders were most unkind and spared the important details. They only told Taemin that Kibum was one of those rare children and he would be watching over him. It would be Taemin’s first role as Guardian and he was excited beyond belief. Though itching to tell his partner in crime, Jonghyun, he couldn’t. At least not yet.

Partnerships and Guardians are a behind the scenes union. A secret to other families and society, except the Elders who assign.

Taemin th

Please log in to read the full chapter