Chapter 21

Nightingale (2008/2011)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 !!!!##$%^*&(*)(*(^%%$!!!!

!!!!(*^@@%*))*%##!!!!

!!!!&^#$@#%$%^^&*&!!!!

 

!!!!WHATTHEFUDGINGFLIPPIN’&^%#!@#$^&!!!!

“What the is this?!”

I clawed at the small mark. A pointy arrowhead shaped bruise had appeared just above my collarbone and completely out of nowhere. I tilted my head up so I could get a better look at it in the bathroom mirror. Argh! How the hell did this happen? I didn’t let anyone in my room, let alone that close to my neck. If I had known any better I would say it looked like a lovebite but that’s impossible. . .what’s impossible? I asked myself.

You’re already in a different world.I know. With different people, I know, not human. You think someone snuck in just to bite me? No. Mark you. Mark me?

I craned my neck again and ran my fingers over the bruise. She’s right, no holes in my neck, or at least I don’t feel any. Vampire bites would leave a wound, wouldn’t they? Maybe I should ask Key. Yeah, he’ll know. He knows everything.

I quickly searched for my cosmetics…oh that’s right. Aunt Karen only packed clothing. Bummer. What am I going to do? The first day of school and I have a purplish rash on my neck; this is like kids with horrible acne on photo day. People are going to think I have a deadly disease or I’m a leopard or something. Do vampires get sick? I’m screwed if they aren’t liable to infection.

Glancing at the hour, 5:24 PM, I figured I have just enough time to change into my uniform before meeting Key for breakfast. We agreed on an ‘early’ meal, 6:30PM, then said we’ll come back to our rooms to get ready. But, I’m just going to change now, I have time. The skirt was a little too short for my liking, about 10cm above my knees. What kind of academic school let’s a female student wear skirts this short? I threw on the white-collared shirt next, along with black leggings under the skirt. There’s no way I’m letting myself show to those guys in my first period. Maybe I’ll sit next to Yoseob. I smiled at the thought, then frowned into the mirror when Jonghyun came to mind. Ugly raptor. Oh! With the last button clasped, I reached for the neck-tab, but when I looked up to tie it properly, my reflection didn’t show any sign of harassed skin on my neck.

Waa! So much for worrying!

I finished dressing and pocketed my card key, a bounce in my step as I skipped to the elevator. I still have a good half hour left, maybe I could take a look around campus. By myself, I mean. It’s great that I always have someone with me whenever I’m outside my room, but I want to get lost for once you know? Explore while everyone is still sleeping. The metal doors had closed moments ago and were now waiting for its rider to execute a command. L, Lobby, glowed a dull brightness as I pressed it. The compartment whirred around me as it started to move downward. Excitement rose inside of me, as if I was about to do something naughty.

I’m just going to look around.I agreed with myself as I passed the steel doors and walked into the lobby. The heels of my school shoes clicked off the polished floor. Quiet echoes followed. I poked my head into the dining hall, just to be safe, and proceed towards the exit. The dew of evening was just starting to set with the sun. Remaining rays that hit my skin warmed my face and hands. I breathed in deeply. God, I really miss this.

I walked with my hands clasped behind me all the way to the bush maze. You’d think the tall walls would be intimidating at night, but no, they weren’t. Let’s see…My right hand ghosted over the inviting thorns as the entrance disappeared behind me. Taemin told me about this before. Three passages, two being the option now. The one I wanted to find leads me through Pazly forest. It’s South, I think. So I should just go straight, as how North is the Academy. But, I can’t exactly walk in a straight line if there are two-meter high walls now can I?

Turn, turn, left, right, who knows which way I’m going and God only knows I’m going to forget by the time I head back. Ahh. Success! Wilderness shown through the first exit, confirming it was the South one. I stepped out and to the left, where a worn path between the overgrown vegetation tells anyone that the river is an accessible place. The trail wasn’t at all difficult, a bit slippery if you don’t watch your step, but I’m going to blame rain for that. How do I know this? Okay, okay, I slipped once. Thankfully I was able to grab hold of a tree limb before falling on my .

The sound of tinkling water reached my ears and I smiled as the end of the bridge came into view. Stop. Don’t go down there. A voice made me jerk and fall back onto a trunk for support. Stupid conscience. I settled for

Please log in to read the full chapter