Chapter 19

Nightingale (2008/2011)
Please log in to read the full chapter

High noon and the sun scorched down with no effect in the frigid air. Bea’s body could barely register the natural warmth trying ting her skin. Loss of natural light from a nocturnal schedule made her skin appear pale and close to sickly beside the radiating Taemin. Her eyes squinted into thin lines as she was led out the front entrance of the dorms and directly into the light.

“Taemin, you? The light.” She asked worriedly.

“I’m fine.” He assured and continued to guide her down the stone steps.

Gravel crunched under their footsteps as they approached the enormous iron gates that separated the school from society. They stood tall and intimidating in all their glory. Thick forest on the other side of the road shown unfriendly atmosphere as if daring anyone to enter its unprotected acres.  

Bea jumped when someone appeared in her vision; she didn’t expect anyone to be standing outside the school gates. Much less someone peering out of the security booth positioned just outside. The man wore a tailored black suit and chocolate brown hair that, as far as she could tell, was too long to be considered that of a security guard, and pilot shades balanced on the bridge of his nose.

As they stepped up to the gates, she noted the earpiece peeking out of the man’s hair. It’s the guy from the first day. She recalled the drive from the airport to Bast Academy with Mr. O’ Connell. What ever happened to James? Is he still around? Her thoughts dissipated when the man spoke.

“Good afternoon students. Can I help you?”

“Hello Jinki or should I say ‘Onew’?.”

The man was surprised by the fact that a student new his first name. The paranormal students belonging to this world usually ignore the staff like the rich and the poor. The only person who ever addressed him as ‘Onew’, his former name, was. . .

His head flicked from Bea to Taemin, then ducked to remove his shades with a chuckle. He looked back up, the sun causing him to squint and grinned the best he could. A completely different personality replaced his business stature.

“I almost didn’t recognize you.” He teethed.

What?Bea perceived with confusion. He bared no canines.

Taemin smiled without showing teeth. “I was tired of red hair. How are you?”

Jinki shrugged. “Same old. Who’s this?”

The soft expression of the man was equally curios and he emitted a welcoming aura. Something Bea finds confusing seeing as how everyone was so cold here, no matter how friendly.

“I’m Bea.” She nodded her head. Words of wisdom: always make friends with the staff. You never know when acquaintances could come in handy.

“Bea? Oh I remember you! Mr. O’Connell brought you up here. Nice to meet you in person.” He started to extend his hand through the gate then thought better of it and scratched the back of his head.

“Um, what brings you two out here? First day of school is tomorrow, you know. You should be sleeping.”

“Thank you for the concern, but I have to prove something to my friend first.” Taemin motioned to Bea. “Would you please di

Please log in to read the full chapter