Chapter 18

Nightingale (2008/2011)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

I’m a target?

The moon lit up our secluded area like a dim celestial. I’m sure no one is lingering around outside anymore; they prefer the dorms before class officially starts tomorrow. Ugh, tomorrow...Jonghyun is in my first period. That jerk. I scrunch my nose at the thought.

Raptor face doesn’t scare me at all, or his tall sidekick. They must be the school’s ego maniacs, tch, airheads. They won’t do anything…but he did say my life would depend on what passed to Taemin...should I take that as a threat?

“I’ll protect you.” Taemin broke the silence.

Mind reader, no, my face must have given me away again. I had a solid face in class though right? I don’t want him to think he has an advantage over me.

Taemin moved in front of me and kneeled, taking my hand in his and placing it on his cold cheek. It still surprises me how soft it is. By the shine he gives, I always think his skin to be made of marble or something. Like a living mannequin.

“Protect me from what?” I asked his blackened eyelids. He pressed my hand firmer to his cheek. I’m well aware of Key watching beside me and Abby’s white blob on the ground.

“From Jonghyun.” Key answered for him.

“Him?” I turned to him. “Why?”

“Because of me.” My attention is back to Taemin, whose eyes were still shut tight. I can’t even see the folds of his eyelids.

Because of him? What did he do?

I opened my mouth to speak but Key cut me off,

“This isn’t the kind of game that involves a role of dice and fairness.“

“Then how do you play?”

“You don’t.”

“Huh?” I don’t get it.

“The only people who know its going on are the two involved. Sometimes it’s more than one victim, but no matter what the target remains oblivious.”

 “But I know I’m a victim.”

“Exactly. Jonghyun wants you to know as well as us.”

“What do you mean?”

“Meaning he’s toying with us. He knows Taemin won’t try to win again.”

“Again? You’ve won before?” I asked Taemin with no avail. He just kneeled without moving so I looked back to Key for him to continue.

“Yes, and he refuses to play anymore since.”

“When was that?”

“Forget that, just concentrate on winning.”

“How do I-”

“Easy. Survive the year.”

“Hypothetically speaking, what happens if I don’t?” I’m just curious, I swear.

“You can die.” Oh crap. I felt Taemin tense under my hand.

“Seriously?”

He nodded.

“You’re saying Jonghyun and Taemin killed someone to win a game? Is that why I’m here?! I’m just a pawn in this? What the hell did I do to deserve this?!”

“You were born.”

“Excuse me?” I can’t believe my ears. Did Taemin really just say that? I looked back down to him angrily and twisted my hand away, his face going to the side in the process. You can call it an unintended face shove. My bad, but what the hell kind of thing is that to say?! Plus he killed someone!

“Please do not be angry.” His flipped his hair back into place smoothly and his eyes glistened as they opened. “I didn’t know he was coming back this year.”

“No one knew.” Key intercepted. “He was expelled last year because he attacked the student on campus. Everyone was told it was a wild beast, though.”

A beast? “Why?”

“Because he is like me-”

“He is nothing like you.” Key snapped at Taemin. What the? The bothered atmosphere he emitted when we first met was back. One eye narrowed down to the unblinking mannequin.

“You don’t know him like I do.”

“Thank heavens for that! I couldn’t even stand him last year! I don’t know how you even lived

Please log in to read the full chapter