Chapter 23

Nightingale (2008/2011)
Please log in to read the full chapter

  After finding out that the impressive electronic devises in her room, (plasma screen TV and laptop), had neither signal nor service, Bea propped herself on the couch overlooking outside. She was still wearing the Academy’s uniform, somewhat, with her blazer and neck tab removed in case Key came back with good news. He had set a strict rule for her not to leave the Observatory at any cost, but Bea scrunched up her nose at that and said she would rather be in her bedroom.

So here I am. The shades drawn open to let in moonlight, she looked out her window to the grounds below. Why didn’t anyone tell me all this in the beginning?  She still had questions and opted about going back up to the Observatory and picking up one of the thick books that Key is always engrossed in. She cursed herself for not paying them any attention.

Now that she thought about it, the sun was setting when she went out. Didn’t Key say that that was a crucial time for vampires? Pazly Forest protects them. Her mind is jumping to conclusions. She shook her head and looked at the single form walking across the grounds. Who is that? According to the hour, everyone should have left homeroom and be taking attendance in their first period. Ick, the class raptor-face is in. She shivered involuntarily at the thought of Yoseob’s emerged body and shook her head to dissipate the image, turning her attention to the person outside. She squinted her eyes but the light-haired specimen didn’t become any clearer. It must be a groundskeeper. The figure came to an abrupt stop parallel the dorms; it stood still for a moment and Bea felt like whoever it was knew she was watching him. It started moving again, but her stomach quarreled inside, giving her an uneasy feeling.

She dropped her head with a huff and folded over as a sudden pain surged up her side. Ah, my stomach. It was sharp and stabbed a particular section of her insides repeatedly. She clutched her abdomen with one hand, the other gripping the armrest for support. This is so embarrassing.  Do vamp chicks get a monthly visitor? As humiliating as it may be, Bea would have to ask someone about this. Preferably a girl. Most likely Abby since she wasn’t acquainted with anyone else besides Mrs. Birch. But does the receptionist even know that Bea is human? Best not to take that chance.

Fact is: Bea has one of the most abnormal menstrual cycles you will ever encounter. Except for the irritating pain every month, she has never found the need for feminine hygiene products. Her system doesn’t release *ahem* blood.

I never said she was just an ordinary teenage girl from a small town, did I? Let’s go back to the past and list some more facts: if you ask her Aunt Karen, the woman will tell you that Bea solemnly cried, slept like the dead, was much too adventurous as an active child, and often found herself in trouble with authority figures. Only things that the typical eyes of a parental guardian could capture. However, if you ask Bea’s conscience, it will tell you: she purposely seeked attention, finds expressing emotion difficult, and she fears electrical storms because her subconscious remembers the night her parents died and waking up drenched in her mother’s blood, which caused a tolerable case of hemophobia. Fear of blood.

Now, you may wonder how Bea came to the conclusion that she is not the same as others. Especially in that category. Well, she thought it was normal for puberty

Please log in to read the full chapter