Chapter 16

Nightingale (2008/2011)
Please log in to read the full chapter

The whole remaining time before start of the semester resulted in familiarizing herself with the campus and changing her internal clock to a nocturnal schedule. Bea hasn’t stepped out into the sun since the first day; Key explained that it was for the purpose of paling her skin. A slight tan would give her away to the students once they started paying attention to the newcomer.

It wasn’t hard growing accustom to these changes. Sleeping in? Complexion becoming pearl clear? A place to hang out without it ever being too crowded? Hott guys near you all the time and more to come? What is there to complain about? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

 “Yah, stop admiring. Are we going or not?”

“Mmph.” Bea grunted into her knees. She sat on the divan with her arms crossed over her knees brought up to her chest.

She and Key were in the Observatory again, which she recently found out that it actually had an observation tower. She was ignoring him and Key’s lip twitched at her lack of response. He shoved her left shoulder with his crossed arms. He hates being ignored.

“What do you want now?” she asked still staring out the floor-to-ceiling windows. The rainbow glow from the setting sun dance colors over their forms and made them appear like living dolls.

Bea shuttered at the thought, her newly coloured hair was Key’s idea. He argued that dying her hair the darkest shade of black would pale her skin dramatically. The ‘Starry Night’ dye really does make a difference but the years she spent treating her natural brunette colour was all a waste when Key got his hands on her.

Where did he get the dye? Who knows. He tried to convince her to let him add reddish-violet wine highlights the same as he, which she refused. People might think she’s his little sister or something.

“What’s wrong with that?” he had asked.

“I don’t want to be related to you.” She answered.

“Yah! Answer me!” Key shoved her again.

“Huh? What?” Bea jostled out of her thoughts. “Did you say something?”

Key huffed. “I asked if you’re still angry at me.”

“What do you think, Sherlock?” She unfolded herself and stood to stretch. “I liked my hair before.”

“That ratty mess? You almost look like a vampire now. Be happy.” He said, standing also and following her to the double glass doors. He smiled to his self at her backside. She reminds him of himself, just shorter and female; her almond shape eyes and curved cupid’s bow defined her face well, like a feline.

“Almost might not be good enough.” She answered as they walked down the marble hall. Shoes clacked against the polished floor, making the silence in the air echo.

The elevator doors dinged open once again to reveal the two actual vampires waiting for them. Abby waved cheerfully, her eyes showing excitement. Bea fit herself in next to Taemin, who smiled down warmly at her. She tried to return the smile, but couldn’t. The fluttering in her tummy doubled when his cold hand rubbed her arm comfortably.

“Don’t be nervous.” He voiced by her ear to calm her insides. She nodded and took a deep breath as the heavy doors pinged open. They four walked out with Key at the head. Bea kept her head down as numerous people brushed past before Abby decided to stand at her other side, opposite Taemin.

Excited chatter fueled by indifferent complaints filled the crowed Lobby. Late arriving students checked in at the registration desk and others headed toward the Auditorium for orientation, same as the group.

The four exited the Dorms along with other students. It wasn’t cold, which is surprising since there was a light frost on the grounds. Bea raised her head and breathed in deeply the scent of pine and nature. It’s feels like its been too long since she left indoors.

They walked along like a herd of sheep, all in the same direction; past the large fountain in the middle of the courtyard and under the ancient thorned-vine covered stone arch that led to campus. They reached the Auditorium and sat. Between the two guardians, Bea made out her new classmates; vampires. All of them. They way they walked with their head held high and designer brand clothing just screamed high maintenance.

She felt her nervous streak start to melt away as she noticed...all the girls...

Are curve less.

No joke.

She perceived girl after girl and every one was the same. Small chest and no hips. Are all female vampires planks or something?

Smug raised itself into Bea’s thoughts. It creeped like a stalker as it pulled images of her own body. Now, she doesn’t want to brag, but she ain’t flat! She isn’t skinny as a twig like these girls either. Talk about a reality check. Bea became suddenly conscious of her body, not in a negative way, in a positive way. Back home, she’s considered in need of shaping her into lush round and push-up bra wearing girl for outings. Here? It’s these girls that need to stuff their chests and work some healthy fat into their bodies.

She wasn’t the only one noticing how well proportioned she is.

He felt them following them since they left the building and sure enough, it annoyed him. Taemin turned his glare onto the ogling stare of some male students trying to near them. At first they smirked at the

Please log in to read the full chapter