Chapter 14

Nightingale (2008/2011)
Please log in to read the full chapter

So I guess I should explain myself for last night’s actions. Well, I hate to say this, but I, Bea Evans, am afraid of electrical storms. I don’t know why or what it is, but the sound and view of Mother Nature just scares the beejesus out of me.

When my conscious swayed me into wake and the only sounds I could here were my own breathing, a wave of relief washed over me. I have no idea how I even made it through last night. If I was home…well, let’s just say I would not have been able to sleep.

I found something odd with my breathing all of a sudden. It was louder and muffled more than I remember, like as if I was underwater. I concentrated on the heated sides of my head. Ahh, I must be holding my ears again. I tried to remove them but came into contact with something cool and firm.

What the heck? I opened my eyes to a dim room. Hum, shades must be closed. Have you ever woken up and felt utterly violated for no apparent reason?

Yeah well, I’m pretty sure my blood pressure just rose a couple hundred degrees and even Iceman behind me has melted down to a stick. Why you may ask? Probably because of what I’m about to do.

I yelled and thrashed around. “You flippin’ ert! Let me go!”

It took me a second to calm down and realize the light was on and Taemin was sitting calmly on the ground in front of me. I glared down at him from my seat on the bed, my legs were swung off in front of him. I can kick him in the face if I wanted to. Which I might if he doesn’t start giving me straight answers.

“You,” I pointed. “Start talking.”

He raised his brows in innocence. “What would you like me to talk about?”

Grr, this kid. Don’t play cute with me!I looked straight into his eyes menacingly. Something’s different. What is it? Ahh, no eyeliner today. I can actually see Taemin’s full eyes and they are beautiful!...when did he change? I pointed down to his chest.

“This. Everything. The school. This vampire crap. You. Explain. NOW.”

“Are you hungry, Bea?”

“Yes, I mean no! Don’t change the subject!”

“How is your sweet tooth?”

“Stop trying to distract me!” I swear I’m going to turn stealth ninja on him. Psh, he would probably go all super power and disappear before I even move. Can he read me thoughts? I looked away. Note to self: don’t look anybody in the eye.

“I’m rather fond of sweets. Are you?”

“If you say one more thing off topic I’ll...I’ll, do something mean.”

Oh that caught his attention. His lips curled into a smile and he literally, no joke, evaporated. I blinked and poof, gone.

“You...bastard.”

“Grammar correction. My parents were married before I was conceived.”

“Oh EW!” I spun around to the pale blonde on my bed lying on his side. Okay the whole moving too fast for me to see thing is officially annoying.

“Are you blushing, Bea?”

“No!” At least I don’t think I am. I glared at him.

“Aren’t you hungry?”

“Why do you keep talking about food!?”

“I’m hungry.” He said simply.

Oh sh#t.I stepped back from the bed, making distance between us. Why do I feel like I should fear for my life right now? What was it that Key said?

‘You’re perfectly safe unless he get’s thirsty.’

“I’m not going to eat you, Bea.”

So he is a mind reader! “Stop reading my thoughts! That’s an invasion of privacy.”

He smiled and fell onto his back, the bed springs bouncing as he closed his eyes.

“I can not read thoughts. Only your face.”

Maybe I should take an acting class. Do they even offer that here? Heck if I know. Holy jeebus, I got distracted again.

“If you’re hungry, why didn’t you take a blood packet?”

He sat up in surprise and frowned. “He told you about that?”

“No sh#t. Other stuff too. No more excuses, start explaining.”

“It’s disgusting.”

“What is?” Distraction -.-

“Blood packets. I’ll just show you.” He said, standing off the bed and walking my way.

“Don’t wanna.” I repented, taking a step back.

“It’s almost dinner. You need to eat something.” He’s closer now, the glisten in his eyes flickering behind me. Did I just corner myself between Taemin and the exit? Yes...yes I did.

“I want explanation’s first. Then we can go.”

“Are you really going to keep a vampire from his meal?” he asked, taking my hand in his.

Is that a threat? I really don’t like him right now. My tummy groaned lightly, which surprised me. I’m pretty sure what I ate earlier would still keep me full. How long did I sleep?

“What time is it?”

“5:50 A.M.” he confirmed without hesitation. Go vampire skills.

Wow, talk about beauty rest. “Fine. But you’re going to talk while we eat.”

He waved my room key card in front of me and pocketed it as we made our way down the elevators and to the dining hall. I should really get that back from him.

The hall was absolutely empty, except for a couple that arrived early. Taemin led me to the kitchen again, the steel doors swinging noisily behind us. I leaned against the counter as he pulled open the refrigerator and took out two packets. Now, I don’t know if you know what hospital blood banks look like, but basically it’s this thick clear plastic baggy with donor blood inside. Gross. Homophobes would regurgitate.

“Abby favors out of raw meat,”

Ew. I think I just turned into a chicken, my skin is all bumpy.

“But I prefer with these.” Taemin sloshed the oozing liquid in front of my face playfully as if tempting me to ask for one. Yeah, as if. That’s sick.

We sat in a booth just outside the kitchen door. I across from him with full determination on my face, he just sat there with a half smile, like waiting for me to starting shooting out questions. I need to get my facts straight. Start,

“This is an academy for vampires.” He nodded.

“You’re a vampire.” Smile and nod.

“You eat blood.”

“Yes, I consume blood.”

“Where does the blood come from?” Here goes my imagination: The chef’s ninjas that are behind the countries kidnappings & they drain their victims of blood and feed it to the vampires? I should write a screenplay.

“Our world holds meets for human donors. You can call it Blood Banks. Animals also, you eat the meat, we drink the blood.”

Eco-friendly, waste makes haste concept? Nice.

I ‘mmd’ and was about to continue with my assault when I remembered,

 “Drink your stuff.”

“Not now.” He said, extending one pack

Please log in to read the full chapter