Chapter 13

Nightingale (2008/2011)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Side by side the taller pale male engulfed my smaller hand gently. His warm smoothness is a nice change in comparison to Taemin’s cold ones. He and Abby walked quietly behind us. I couldn’t see Taemin’s expression but judging by the two holes burning into my back, I’m going to take a wild guess and say he isn’t too happy. I wonder if he has some kind of grudge against Key.

We ended up in the lobby elevators again, the four of us fitting in snuggly. I stayed quiet beside Key as he pushed the button for the top floor. The doors dinged open and a chilly breeze made me shiver. Key was the first one out, pulling me to be second and pausing to turn around. Except he didn’t face me, instead he looked over my height and shot a smirk at the two people still standing in the elevator.

“You two just wait there like good guardians. We won’t be long.” Huh? I didn’t say anything as he dragged me farther from the elevator. He slowed down his pace only when we were out of their sight and I took the chance to ask what that was all about.

“Why can’t Taemin and Abby come?”

“They can’t.”  I just asked that -_-

“Why though?”

“They’re guardians.” You…are so not helpful. What does that have to do with anything? I’m so confused.

His hand suddenly tightened a bit over mine and I shivered. What the heck? It’s not even cold. Only then did I actually take in our surroundings. Any trace of our hotel style dorms was gone and replaced by bland, marbled walling. Our footsteps echoed off the tiled floor; this reminds me of the museum back home. Or the Art gallery I used to visit on school field trips. It was cold in those places too. Why are tourist attractions always under comfortable room temperature? Maybe so visitors would buy warmth from the gift shops and indoor cafes. Tsk.    

“Where are you taking me?”

“The Observatory.” Okay he answered that question. Let’s try another.

“Why can’t guardians come with us to the Observatory?”

“It was made for human occupants only. They can’t pass beyond the elevator doors.”

I took a moment to process that. “Wait..Humans? I don’t get it.”

“You’re so dense. I already told you during dinner. Think of this place as a safe haven if Taemin ever turns on you.”

What is he talking about? The supernatural babble he was ranting on about?

“Let me guess, you’re just realizing I wasn’t joking?”

“I’m confused.” To the max squared.

Key sighed and dropped his head, still walking straight down the corridor. Wouldn’t it be funny if he ran into something?

“We’re here.”

Eh? We reached the end of the hall and stood in front of two large glass doors. Whoa, fancy. Past the clear doors I can only see darkness or maybe the doors are black? Nope. Key stepped forward and pulled on the left handle. Still not releasing my fingers, I was brought into the dark facility.

I squinted, the darkness an odd contrast to the brightly lit hall outside. I could make out shapes of large bulks around the room. The nearest being the one Key nudged me towards. He let go of his hold and pushed down my shoulders till I sat on something that felt obviously familiar to a sofa. Why is there a plush seat in an Observatory?

To sit on?A voice answered in the back of my mind. Thanks for stating the obvious brain. Your welcome. Stop talking.Immpossible, that’s what I’m here for. Why am I on the verge of arguing with myself? . . . . Ha. No comeback. I think too much.

Key’s footsteps echoed away until I heard the sheathed sound of thick fabric bunching together. I looked up to see dark curtains swiftly parting to move left and right, the appearing window shaped shadows splayed on the floor from the setting sun.

“Wow.” Was all I could

Please log in to read the full chapter