Chapter 1

Nightingale (2008/2011)
Please log in to read the full chapter

The rain pounded down hard against the metallic cocoon. Echoing as balls of ice threatened to break the glass. Wet Mondays are never a good sign. Mondays with rain often meant the week would be bitter. Nothing could be compared to this dark & silent isolation; not the long, boring flight nor the cold, dull cell. This was like hell, my own personal hell. No noise, not a sound, except for tires crunching together pebbles and dirt. No giggling. No muttering. No friends. Just silence. Complete isolation.

I stared out the window trying to seek comfort in the rainy scene, but just as suddenly as it began, it stopped. Again. I leaned my head toward the glass, allowing the window to cool my cheek. The road is long, there is no need to stay awake.

-FLASHBACK-

“Bea.” Crap, I know that tone. I continued to twiddle my thumbs and stare at my checkered black and white converse.

“Bea.” Her tone hardened. I lifted my eyes slowly, keeping my expression calm. Upon seeing my face, her eyebrows pushed together in frustration and disbelief. SGT. Walker unlocked the cell door; I walked over from the cot I was sitting on & started pushing open the steel bar door, but Karen slammed it close before I could open it wide enough to step out. I hung my head in a sigh.

“This is the last time you will ever step out of line, Bea.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Karen.” I said to my feet.

SGT. Walker turned away and headed toward h

Please log in to read the full chapter