Intruder In The Night

In The Land of the Two Crescent Moons

~ Jiao Lin’s POV ~

Because of the storm outside that got even worse by every minute, we had to stay at the inn overnight. I got my own room since I’m the only girl in the group and since it’s not really appropriate for a girl to share with a guy, well in this case: several guys. Xiu Min and Chanyeol shared a room together while the other four shared a bigger room. Li Yuan had his own ‘suite’ as he called it and the servants and guards had to share one of the bigger rooms.
 

I was just about to walk to my room when someone gently patted my shoulder. I turned around to see Xiu Min look at me with big shiny eyes.
 

“Xiu Min, what is it?” I asked carefully while looking weirdly at him, he looked a bit suspicious.
 

“I just… wanted to… ehm… wish you goodnight…” He answered cutely while biting his lip.
 

“Oh, goodnight Xiu Min!” I said happily and smiled at him.
 

Without any notice, he hastily kissed my cheek and then ran away, or rather skipped away joyfully. Disappearing behind the corner without letting me even react. I stood there frozen at first, but then sighed with a small smile spreading on my face.
 

“What shall I do with him…?” I whispered quietly to myself. But I can’t help but feel a bit awkward after knowing that he likes me. And then we have Chanyeol too…

 

“Hey! Waddup?” A dark voice suddenly spoke out from behind. I hurriedly turned around to see the person I had just mentioned in my mind. I looked at him with wide eyes when he smirked and walked closer, the distance between us minimizing every second.
 

“What do you want?” I asked suspiciously while narrowing my eyes. He didn’t answer for quite awhile, just standing close to me and staring into my eyes like earlier. After a moment of total silence he suddenly smiled brightly, leaving me taken aback by his sudden action.
 

“How brave Xiu Min is to kiss a princess just like that! I wish I would be able to do the same… but I’m a gentleman so I won’t.” He almost whispered that last sentence. I looked at him a bit doubtfully, not sure if I should trust him. He flashed another dazzling smile and my heart skipped a beat seeing how beautiful he was when smiling. His eyes were sparkling; genuine happiness was shown through his smile. 
 

“Really? You sure you won’t?” I asked sarcastically.
 

“Well, if you tell me to do it, then I wouldn’t refuse…” He winked at me, grinning widely before leaving me there alone.
 

Where do I find all these weird guys anyway? I really hope there isn’t anyone weirder though… I don’t know how I’ll react if I meet another one… Well Chanyeol seems like a good guy though, just a bit odd. Maybe he gets a bit better tomorrow on our trip to the Wu palace?

 

When waking up next morning, I couldn’t help but feel something strange. I tried moving in the bed but to no avail. I uncovered the blanket and noticed an arm holding onto my waist and panic rose in me. Who was sleeping next to me?!
 

I hastily pushed the arm away from me, sitting up to be able to see the person in my bed. Startled to see a stranger laying there. I observed the unmoving person, sleeping peacefully by my side. Not even moving after being pushed off of me. It took a few minutes to calm down when I saw that it only was a cute young boy lying next to me. He looked like he would be around his teens and I breathed out relieved knowing that it was neither Chanyeol nor Li Yuan.
 

But I still thought it was strange for a boy to sneak into a total stranger’s bed like this. And… how did he get inside? I’m sure I locked the door last night… or didn’t I?
 

The young boy slowly started to move, rubbing his eyes because of the sunlight that suddenly shone through the window. I stared at him confused.
 

“Good morning!” He happily said, smiling cutely towards me while sitting up. I blinked a few times, not sure if I should greet him the same way, given that he had sneaked into my bed and all… “Oh, you really are pretty! Not really my type though, but it’s nice to meet you!” He soon said, and I stared in disbelief.
 

“What…?” I started but didn’t find any words.
 

“Hmm? What?” He asked still smiling.
 

“Well… First of all: what are you doing in my bed? And what do you mean not your type? Shouldn’t you be home with your parents or something?” I asked with wide eyes.
 

“Eh? Ah… that… well firstly there weren’t any empty rooms, so I thought I could share with someone who’s already staying here. Secondly I prefer guys if I should be honest… thirdly, I don’t have any parents left.” He answered all my questions calmly. Shrugging afterwards.
 

“Oh! I’m so sorry! I didn’t know… how insensitive of me… sorry!” I said sincerely, not sure why I didn’t have manners when asking that question.
 

“Ah, don’t worry! I’m all grown up now anyway. No need to worry about me.” He happily continued, and I confusedly looked at him again.
 

“What do you mean all grown up?” I asked carefully, not thinking again.
 

“Well, I’m twenty-two after all. Isn’t that to be grown up?” He unexpectedly said.
 

“What?! You’re the same age as me?!” I almost yelled, once again thoughtlessly.
 

“Eh? You’re also twenty-two? Cool! Let’s be friends then!” He happily announced while reaching out his hand just as the door burst open. Both of us stared at the tall guy falling forward, taking the door with him. Yi Xing stood at the opening and couldn’t stop laughing at the sight of Chanyeol laying flat on the floor, hugging the door. I too started laughing, and Chanyeol got up fast as lightning. His face deep red from embarrassment.

 

A confused Zi Tao also came into sight and it didn’t take long before the other three also came inside the room. Xiu Min stared at the guy that sat on my bed right beside me, and the room immediately became ice cold.
 

 “Who are you?! Why are you with the princess?! What did you do to her!? And why haven’t you gotten away from her yet?!” Xiu Min yelled angrily, glaring at the stranger. The stranger was now looking confused, and it took awhile before he opened his mouth to answer.
 

“Oh… I’m sorry… I haven’t even introduced myself yet…” He started and faced me. “I’m Lu Han. I’m just a traveler.” He smiled. “I didn’t know you were a princess!” He added surprised before continuing, not even letting anyone interrupt him. “As I told the princess, there weren’t any rooms empty so I thought I could share with someone, and that someone happened to be her. But I didn’t do anything to her, so don’t worry.” He nodded in my direction and then went on. “Lastly, I haven’t gotten a chance to get away yet, since all this commotion started. I mean, who would be able to not get shocked when someone breaks down the door, taking it with him down to the floor?”
 

It was quiet for a while, everyone taking in everything Lu Han had said. The coldness soon went away. And then Joon Myeon opened his mouth.
 

“So… Chanyeol… Why did you break the door anyway?” He asked suspiciously, raising an eyebrow. Chanyeol nervously looked down on the floor, trying to think of something to say.
 

“That… I thought she was in danger! She suddenly yelled something and I didn’t have time to think so I just burst into the door with all my might, my only thought was: what if she was being kidnapped or something?” He answered hastily. And it was quiet a short moment before Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows.
 

“But that doesn’t really explain why you arrived so fast at her room, and how did you even hear her? If you didn’t like… eavesdrop… through the door?” Baekhyun asked hesitantly, making Chanyeol flinch at his sudden question.
 

“Why would you do that?!” Joon Myeon suddenly burst out in disbelief. “You don’t sneak outside a royalty’s room!”
 

“Not inside either…” Yi Xing added quietly with sarcasm, but not quiet enough so anyone would miss it. Zi Tao who had been quiet all this time started to chuckle at his friend’s comment, and he looked so cute trying to hold his laughter in.
 

Joon Myeon rolled his eyes when both Chanyeol and Baekhyun burst out in laughter. Chanyeol’s laughing was quite unique to see, well at least for me who haven’t been outside the castle, kind of… He was laughing uncontrollably while hitting his knees frantically, having problem standing up. Seeing him laugh made me also want to laugh, it was so contagious!
 

I could see Joon Myeon bite his lip to prevent himself from laughing, not wanting to give in to it so easily. Luhan was laughing though, amused by this whole incident.

 

“What are you laughing like crazy this early in the morning for?!” Li Yuan snarled, not amused at all while glaring inside the room. He glanced at me with a disgusted look on his face before leaving. His servant stopped at the door, or where the door once had been, with a stern look on his face.
 

“The prince wants to leave as soon as possible. So you better get ready soon, princess.” The servant announced before bowing and leaving us alone. With a sigh, I got up from bed and took my amulet that I had put on the chair next to the bed before going to bed last night.
 

The others shared glances before going to prepare for the journey themselves. Zi Tao stayed in the room though, since he had been ready ever since getting up this morning. And so did Luhan who had been staying in my room all along. Thinking about it… what did he say about his type again? He preferred… guys?
 

At the sudden realization I stared at Luhan shocked. Did he actually mean that?
 

“What? Is something wrong?” He suddenly asked and I jumped when he all of a sudden spoke.
 

“No! Nothing at all! A thought just popped up… sorry.” I said, embarrassed for even thinking about it.*
 

“Are you done yet?” Chanyeol’s dark voice inquired outside of the room. And I smiled at him before walking over to the door, well what should have been a door if it hadn’t been for Chanyeol’s actions earlier.
 

“Mm. I’m ready. Let’s go!” I happily said and we all made our way outside where Li Yuan waited impatiently. He didn’t look happy when he saw that Joon Myeon, Baekhyun and Chanyeol also were going with us.
 

I didn’t care what he thought anyway. And since the three were on their way to the Wu palace as well, we all thought it was a good idea to let them go with us. And so we finally could continue on our way to the place where I might have to stay the rest of my life if I couldn’t find a way out of this marriage.
 

I haven’t even been able to think about a solution yet after all these strange people came into my life, in less than a week, turning everything upside down…