A Frozen Garden

In The Land of the Two Crescent Moons

~ Jiao Lin’s POV ~

I excused myself from the party and decided to go out for a walk in the royal garden. After being introduced to my so called ‘future husband’, I felt irritated and disgusted by his huge ego and needed to calm down. Zi Tao followed me outside, not wanting to leave me alone after hearing about what that stupid crown prince had said to me. He didn’t like him at all, he didn’t like his ‘aura’ he said.
 

While walking the path in the garden, Yi Xing suddenly ran towards us. He made a halt to catch his breath. I looked at him confused and so did Zi Tao.
 

“Wait… I… want… to… follow too…” He said out of breath. I chuckled a bit and nodded. We waited until he could breathe again before continuing to walk.

 

The flowers were blooming beautifully; they were even more beautiful than last year. Strange… is that even possible? I mean our land is known for the exceptionally beautiful flowers and trees so I didn’t think it was possible actually… Maybe it’s because I know I have to leave our palace when I get married? That I will think everything is more beautiful than usual?
 

I could see that Yi Xing occasionally would lean down and smell the roses we walked past, and smiling happily when Zi Tao carefully did the same. They both looked so cute when they started chasing each other after Yi Xing splashed some water on Zi Tao from one of the fountains nearby. I couldn’t help but smile widely at their childishness, splashing water on each other and running around happily.
 

I closed my eyes and took in the wonderful scents from the flowers and the fresh air, slowly forgetting about all the bad things that have been in my mind lately. Suddenly I got cold water over me and opened my eyes widely. Zi Tao stood there trying to hold in a laugh as Yi Xing innocently tried to sneak away. I sighed and grinned before running towards Yi Xing playfully, making him stumble when trying to get away. I charged towards him as fast as I could and he teasingly stuck his tongue out, which of course made him trip over Zi Tao’s foot that he had put out in front of Yi Xing. He landed flat on his face and both me and Zi Tao burst out laughing nonstop when Yi Xing slowly raised his head, showing how dirty his face now was. Without stopping to laugh, we helped him up and he washed the dirt off with the water from the fountain. He stared at us with a pout and we tried to hold our laughter with some difficulty.
 

I started to run further into the garden and came to the big fountain, the one they had found Yi Xing next to. The other two ran after me, and I looked back while running to stick out my tongue, not noticing where I ran. Without any notice I tripped over something on the ground and closed my eyes automatically, falling on something quite soft on the ground.

 

“Ouch!” A voice let out from underneath me and I opened my eyes to see a young guy lying there.
 

Shocked we stared at each other, laying there for a couple of minutes almost frozen. Now that I think about it… it was suddenly quite cold…
 

Zi Tao hurriedly helped me up and Yi Xing helped the other one up. I looked at the ground and the flowers that was close-by, and noticed that they were frozen! I stared at the guy again and noticed his puffy cheeks and cute features. He looked kind of like a bun!
 

“Ah sorry!” I said and bowed deeply, and so did Zi Tao even though he didn’t have to.
 

“Eh…? What? Oh! You don’t need to be sorry! I mean… no… or…ehm…” He stammered cutely, blushing a bit. I smiled at him, and he blushed even more.
 

“But… who are you?” Yi Xing suddenly asked and the guy looked at him confused at first.
 

“Ah! I’m Xiu Min! I’m the… new gardener.” He answered and smiled.
 

“Hi Xiu Min! I’m Zhang Yi Xing and this is Huang Zi Tao and princess Xia Jiao Lin.” Yi Xing presented all of us with that cute smile of his. And Xiu Min looked at me surprised.

 

~ Xiu Min’s POV ~

Is that the PRINCESS?! Ah… she’s really pretty… I looked, or rather stared at her, amazed by her beautiful green eyes. I felt a warm feeling spread on my face and in my body, my heart beating fast. I haven’t felt like this before…
 

“Oh by the way…” My thoughts got interrupted by Yi Xing’s voice. “What’s this frost about?” He pointed at the ground and I looked at it, noticing that the ground and the flowers were all frozen. It suddenly hit me.
 

“Oh sorry! I didn’t mean to! I mean… you surprised me… and I couldn’t help it! Every time I get surprised or scared, I can’t control my power…” I hesitantly answered while looking at him apologetically.
 

“Eh? You can freeze things?” Jiao Lin suddenly asked and I looked in her direction again, once again with a blush on my face.
 

“Mm…” I only let out and looked away. It was quiet a short moment.
 

“Cool!” She unexpectedly said and I looked at her again. “So now there are two magic wielders here? Wow!” She excitedly said. And I looked at her confusedly. “Ah, Yi Xing is a healer!” She happily added.
 

“Ehm… about that…. Me too…” The one named Zi Tao said quietly, playing with his fingers. All of us faced him with confused looks. And he soon continued. “I can… control… time…” He shyly said, glancing up at us nervously as if he’s scared that we would bully him or something about it.
 

“What?! Really?! You can control time? Does that mean you can stop time?” Jiao Lin was curiously asking with a wide smile on her face. Oh how cute she is when smiling…
 

Zi Tao only nodded and slowly a smile spread on his face too, happy about being accepted so easily. Jiao Lin hugged him tightly and a jealous feeling grew in my stomach. When she released him the feeling slowly faded away and I could enjoy their company again. So there are more than just me with odd magical powers?

 

~ Wu Li Yuan’s POV ~

I eavesdropped on the whole conversation between the four people by the fountain; they were talking about magic as it seemed like. So the princess likes magic huh? Well… if she knew about my power then it won’t be that hard to make her fall for me after all.
 

That Xiu something guy did have a quite interesting power, as did the other two amazingly… A healer and a time controller… Both of them have quite unique gifts, especially that Zi Tao. I haven’t met anyone having that power before. I haven’t even heard of it in fact. I was deep in thought when the princess suddenly mentioned something about dragons. I listened carefully as she spoke.
 

“I’m really interested in dragons! They seem so amazing and powerful! I would almost do anything to meet one for real. I’ve liked dragons ever since I was little. The elders laughed at me, saying that there’s no one who have ever gotten close to a dragon before. Whoever got close to one would end up dead… Even the other kids, well my cousins that is, all thought that I was weird. It was almost like I could read their minds… but I somehow closed it out. And ever since then I’ve not heard anyone else’s thoughts again.” She said a bit sadly.
 

So, she likes dragons too huh? I hate them! But if that’s the only chance of getting her to do my every wish then I can fix so she can meet a dragon… I smirked evilly.

 

~ Jiao Lin’s POV ~

It had been fun discussing about dragons and magic with the three guys, but since it was becoming late we had to go inside. My father had sent a servant to tell me about the trip tomorrow morning to the Wu palace with Wu Li Yuan. I sighed deeply and excused myself so I could go to sleep early. Zi Tao, Yi Xing and Xiu Min sadly said goodnight and went to their own rooms.
 

I knew that Zi Tao would follow me tomorrow at least, but I didn’t want to leave Yi Xing and Xiu Min now that we’ve become friends and all. But since Yi Xing is the only healer in this kingdom he probably have to stay, and Xiu Min is the new gardener so he have to do his own job. But as long as we can keep in contact I guess I’ll be fine.

 

After waking up in the morning I took a long warm bath before getting dressed in my traveling clothes. Since it looked like it would rain, I took my new cape, leaving the hood down as long as I’m inside. I packed a few things that I knew I would need. I put my lucky amulet around my neck and caressed it gently. I got it from my favorite teacher, Hong Yu Kuai, after mastering the basics of wushu.
 

‘Keep it close wherever you go, and you will be safe.’ He had said after putting it in my hand and closing my fingers around it. He had left me there with a smile on his face, making me confused but happy at the same time. So I bring it with me all the time, almost freaking out if I would ever forget it in my room sometimes.
 

I packed the last things and let one of the servants take the bag for me, since they wouldn’t let me take it myself. Zi Tao was waiting outside of my room and smiled happily when he saw me. He always looked so cute when he smiled. It made me melt every time.
 

We walked outside together and stood there, surprised to see neither Yi Xing nor Xiu Min to send us off. Li Yuan was talking to his own servant and had smirked when seeing me coming out from the palace. Disgusted, I just turned around, ignoring him completely. How could a guy like that get married to me? I thought my dad said that he was a great guy…
 

Maybe I can get out of this marriage deal somehow… But I guess I’ll have to wait to come up with a plan for that.

 

Just as I was about to get inside my and Zi Tao’s royal chariot, Yi Xing came running. He stopped next to us, out of breath just like yesterday. While pulling himself together, he smiled at me and Zi Tao.
 

“I’m coming too!” He happily announced. I felt overjoyed when hearing the news and hugged him tightly.
 

Two of my friends will come with me! Could I be happier? All three of us entered the chariot together, earning a hateful stare from Li Yuan who soon entered his own chariot unhappy about the two guys following without his approval. Well, he should know that my father would never send me anywhere without a bodyguard. 

 

We soon begun our trip as the servants were done with the baggage and controlling the chariots a last time. I leaned back towards the seat and smiled contently about my companions. Now I didn’t have to feel so lonely. Suddenly we heard someone scream behind us. We exchanged confused looks before glancing outside.
 

“Wait! Wait for me!” Someone yelled, getting a bit closer every second. Not close enough though. I narrowed my eyes and soon recognized the shouting person. I yelled to the driver to stop immediately. Letting the person catch up with us.
 

“Why are you here?!” I asked loudly still surprised to see the person who was panting heavily. Both Yi Xing and Zi Tao were also shocked to see that it was Xiu Min who had been chasing us.
 

“I’m also coming… I begged your father… I mean the king to let me follow too!” He said with a shy smile. I happily motioned for him to get inside and it didn’t take long before he sat beside me. Now everyone was assembled and I felt even happier than before.
 

“Now let’s go on this adventure together!” Yi Xing said excitedly, making everyone burst into laughter at how cute he looked all worked up for this.